The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Just thought I’d share a new arrival. I couldn’t resist this 2005 L4CES, even though I already have another from 1989 (I’ve had since 1993). I’m not sure what I’m going to do with two. Maybe flats on one, and round wound on the other? Another thought was to put really heavy strings on one and tune it baritone.

Another thought - I’ve always wanted an L5, but couldn’t part with my L4 to make it happen. So, perhaps one day I’ll use one of these as trade towards an L5. Neither L4 or L5’s are very commonly found in Australia.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Happy New Guitar Day - they certainly make a nice couple!

User Info Menu

They are not exactly super common here in the States, either. You have a brace of really fine instruments. Congratulations, and play them both in good health!

If they were mine, I would probably fritter away hours and hours with an AB box and two amps experimenting with pickup heights. I would designate your first instrument as a control and not change anything. I would then set up the new one with the same strings (new for both, this is science) and pickup heights/angles. I would then make small changes and log them and note the necessarily subtle changes. The AB box would allow real-time comparisons. You might arrive at a new optimum, or you might simply enjoy fiddling with your wonderful instruments.

Again, congrats!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    They are not exactly super common here in the States, either. You have a brace of really fine instruments. Congratulations, and play them both in good health!
    If they were mine, I would probably fritter away hours and hours with an AB box and two amps experimenting with pickup heights. I would designate your first instrument as a control and not change anything. I would then set up the new one with the same strings (new for both, this is science) and pickup heights/angles. I would then make small changes and log them and note the necessarily subtle changes. The AB box would allow real-time comparisons. You might arrive at a new optimum, or you might simply enjoy fiddling with your wonderful instruments.
    Again, congrats!
    I, OTOH, would don my white lab coat, shout "Science!" a bunch of times, then go play my purple SG until my wife yells at me to stop that infernal racket and take out the garbage.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-21-2020 at 03:50 AM.

User Info Menu

Twins! Mazel tov!

Well so far, in the name of science, I weighed them. They both came out at exactly 3.28kg.

The 2005 has solid mahogany back and sides for sure, while the 1989 no one can definitively say is solid or laminate mahogany back and sides.

The 1989 has lower/wide frets, while the 2005 has taller/wide frets.

the top of the 2005 seems thicker than the 1989.

The neck profiles are similar - a rounded C, not as big as my 50’s reissue Gibsons, but not as slim as the ‘63 reissue 335 I sold to buy this L4.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74

Again, congrats!
    Man you really know how to have fun with guitars. That would end up being my entire weekend! And a well-spent weekend at that.

User Info Menu

Beauties!

User Info Menu

Blondes DO have more fun ! ......Congrats. L4's are awesome.

User Info Menu

Very nice - congrats!!

User Info Menu

Personally, I think owning two beautiful L4 CESN archtops is absolutely blasphemy.

You need to pack one of them up (I do not care which) and immediately ship it to me to spare you the humiliation of owning such twins.

In the meantime, play them (both) in good health.

User Info Menu

Your user name checks out! Nice to meet another person with 2 L4CESes. Aren't two blondies a handful though? Make one a brunette.

I have a 2001 Sunburst, and a 2010 Natural with one neck pickup.

I aver that the L4CES is rarer than the L5CES; fewer were made, in my estimation. Hang on to those blondies. Gibson appears to be making them to order but nobody is ordering...

Absolute beauties. Congrats.