The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Hello beloved jaaaaaazz guitar community,!
    I need to know if anyone knows this guitar. A guy is selling this old archtop, but he does not know any info about the guitar (he is asking 1000 dollars for this beauty). Anyway, I would say that is a Framus or Hopfner of the 60’s, but that Tailpiece and pickguard say that I am wrong. I will be really gratefull for any help!
    photos:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

No pic of the headstock?

User Info Menu

a german 50's alexandra archtop probably? 1000$ seems crazy. maybe 150-200$ in that condition? but i'm no expert.

edit:
    Alexandra Vintage Archtop Germany ('50s) - Le Shop - Lyon
    Last edited by djg; 11-20-2020 at 12:06 PM.

User Info Menu

An East German (DDR) model, likely made under the banner of Musima or Marma in the early 60s. A middle-range, laminate model.

User Info Menu

Looks like a 1960's Marma made in the former workers' and farmers' state.
    Construction-wise they have arched laminated guitar bodies, yet I call them "domed", since they show only a very flat arching of the belly and back. Well, today any guitar with the slightest arched/domed/pressed body is called an archtop guitar...
    On the German market guitars like this Marma were offered as "beat guitars".

Yes, probably not more worth than $150, depending on the condition. Consider basically some serious repair and overhaul work, if you strive for a well playable guitar!

User Info Menu

Like a Stella.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

With that broken headstock, I would put it as pretty much worthless.

Put that $1000 towards a Eastman.

User Info Menu

Thanks to everyone

User Info Menu

Indeed, It is a Marma, thank you for your help! Yeah, the seller does not know what Guitar is, but I will look forward to buy it, it is just gorgeous!
    thanks again

User Info Menu

Well, hopefully the seller will come down 90% of his asking price to what it's reasonably worth. Good luck!