The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What would be your preference settings to enhance the sound of your guitar? Different settings for solid and archtop guitars?
    Attached Images Attached Images Boss GE-7 Graphic EQ-p1030727-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'd use the setting in the picture to get a bluesy sound out of my Tele. However, my preferences change regularly, and I might need a different sound with the band than when playing alone, so AFAIK the sliders get used quite a bit.

User Info Menu

I do have a BOSS GE7 and to me there's no one size fits all setting. Apart from using different settings for different guitars I may also use it for small adjustments when combining any guitar with different amps.

User Info Menu

Only you can determine what the best tone frequency/EQ is for your archtop. I use a Boss EQ and tend to change its settings depending on which guitar or amp is in play as well as the size/acoustics of the room. It's like using salt and pepper on a meal. Flavor your tone to your taste and enjoy the variety.

User Info Menu

Depends substantially on context. Solo guitar? What size group? Am I the only comping instrument? How does it sound when I start playing (which depends on everything from the pick to the ceiling height)? Lead or rhythm?

With pbdg and, say, alto, I dial out a lot of the lows for comping. For playing single note lines, I like a thick sound so I add the lows back in with an octave device. I'm able to get the lows out with the amp's bass control. I roll off highs at the amp just a little. I often adjust the tone control on the guitar while soloing, but that depends on what I want the solo to sound like. Sometimes I like a little more bite, meaning more highs.