Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 122

User Info Menu

BTW, "Best Thread Title" of the year!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Darn .. My GAS was quickly killed by reality .. went down to my local guitar pusher to try out some pointy Ibanez guitars and their necks unfortunately all feel like playing one of these:

Oh well
    But seriously, the Ibanez pointy guitars have amazing necks, they are great playing guitars (unless you like chunky necks, those pointy guitar necks are very thin as they should be for that style of guitar).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    But seriously, the Ibanez pointy guitars have amazing necks, they are great playing guitars (unless you like chunky necks, those pointy guitar necks are very thin as they should be for that style of guitar).
    Yeah yeah .. I'm just not really in the demographic. Ibanez sells these things by the thousands and millions if you look over time ... So the issues is with me more than the neck .. Personal taste and all. That they are thin perhaps wouldn't bother me if they where less wide .. I dunno .. but there is just something there that I don't like.

I played a Joe Satriani JS1000 a while back and that gutiar has a damn fine neck. Not chunky by anyone's standard, just a wee bit more in the back providing some roundness ... I just don't like that cutting board feeling, where both front and back are flat

User Info Menu

Most of the current metal guitars tend to be of the thin u shaped variety. I don't think that's for me, which keeps me away from otherwise cool guitars. Id prefer a regular old c shaped, medium sized neck,i suppose. At least,i think that's what I'm used to.

User Info Menu

I think after playing a Loar LH600 any neck shape is fine by me haha

User Info Menu

Meh ... We do crazy things locked up at home with only ourselves as compagny in these times .. Found a Paul Gilbert model from Ibanez on sale for black friday ... They have chunky necks, so I gambled online .. Wish me luck!

User Info Menu

Meh ... We do crazy things locked up at home with only ourselves as compagny in these times .. Found a Paul Gilbert model from Ibanex on sale for black friday ... They have chunky necks, so I gambled online .. Wish me luck!

User Info Menu

I found myself giving serious thought to a Brandoni Custom nine-string; an unusual instrument, assembled in Wembley from parts made in the old Eko and Welson factories in Italy, thirty or more years ago. I came to my senses when I asked myself what I would do with all the leftover strings.

I don’t even have the excuse of being locked up at home.

User Info Menu

Meh ... We do crazy things locked up at home with only ourselves as compagny in these times .. Found a Paul Gilbert model from Ibanez on sale for black friday ... They have chunky necks, so I gambled online .. Wish me luck!
    I too have been feeling GAS for some kind of new, shredder guitar, but I wanted a 7-String. There is not a lot of sheet music around for 7 strings but I said to hell with it and bought the ESP LTD MH-17.
    I got it for $159.00 US dollars. I just got it yesterday and since it is regular $199.00, I have been trying to figure what is wrong with it, and why the reduction in price. The neck is rather wide and flat, but definitely doable with practice. And there are a couple of good 7-string guitar books out there. Have you thought about a 7-String?

MH-17 - The ESP Guitar Company

User Info Menu

Ok, I don't want to side track this epic soul searching thread, but I have a little question.

I have this student, the kid is 9 year old or something, and total beginner of course. Most of the students get your standard beginner guitars, Squires or whatnot, but this kid got Ibanez Steve Vai JEM model, pretty expensive I would think! So the question is, how tf you handle the tuning with Floyd Rose? I tune his guitar and immediately it goes out of tune! I get it you use the micro tuners on it like on a violin, but no matter it still awful with staying in tune. Oh, and the whammy bar is not even attched yet, the kid has no clue what it is he got lol.

So any Floyd Rose users here would share a wisdom?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Ok, I don't want to side track this epic soul searching thread, but I have a little question.

I have this student, the kid is 9 year old or something, and total beginner of course. Most of the students get your standard beginner guitars, Squires or whatnot, but this kid got Ibanez Steve Vai JEM model, pretty expensive I would think! So the question is, how tf you handle the tuning with Floyd Rose? I tune his guitar and immediately it goes out of tune! I get it you use the micro tuners on it like on a violin, but no matter it still awful with staying in tune. Oh, and the whammy bar is not even attched yet, the kid has no clue what it is he got lol.

I have only one floyd rose type guitar and I had hell with it. I tried following Youtube videos step-by-darn step and still had problems. I finally took it to a shop for a professional set-up with an experienced and actual guitar luthier. It solved my problems and now I can tune it myself.

It is a pain, but I think the idea is to get it spot-on, then you can use the little circular micro tuners to make fine adjustments as you need them, due to temperature changes, bending too hard, etc..

Good luck, hep.

User Info Menu

I never had any issues with the ones I had (a long time ago tho)

With new strings:
    Just put the micro tuners somewhere in the middle, so there is room both ways.
    Tune it up which as with any floating bridge might take more than one iterations
    Stretch strings
    Tune it up again
    Lock the neck
    Fine tune it with micro tuners as the sheer act of locking the lock will put it out of tune
    Done

Only wild guess I have is most (but not all) Ibanez FR bridges you cut off the ball at the end of the strings. Then you put string in it's slot and lock it down with an allen key. Maybe they didn't tighten it enough, tho that is hard to believe as eventually the string would just pop out??

All I can suggest is to start all over with a new set of strings and see if that makes a difference???? (I'm really out of ideas as you can hear)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    I found myself giving serious thought to a Brandoni Custom nine-string; an unusual instrument, assembled in Wembley from parts made in the old Eko and Welson factories in Italy, thirty or more years ago. I came to my senses when I asked myself what I would do with all the leftover strings.

I don’t even have the excuse of being locked up at home.
    I have no idea when you'd use it in a real life application, but fully understand buying one of those just to have it look good in your home and occasionally to sit and noodle with on the couch. A 9 string has got to be an improvement on the 12 string design, right?

User Info Menu

Cheap Ibanez and Jacksons are great, but make sure the neck isn't a problem. The ultra thin neck might be uncomfortable if you come from playing chords too!

I've got an old Ibanez, 450 or 540 something I believe. It does have the thin neck but it's period correct hehe..

.. The Floyd Rose is a mystery to me.. I don't think I have ever changed strings on this one,.. ten years or so...

User Info Menu

I have no idea when you'd use it in a real life application, but fully understand buying one of those just to have it look good in your home and occasionally to sit and noodle with on the couch. A 9 string has got to be an improvement on the 12 string design, right?
    I was deadly serious, with new possibilities of improvising in mind. What others call noodling, I call free expression.

User Info Menu

I never had any issues with the ones I had (a long time ago tho)

With new strings:
    Just put the micro tuners somewhere in the middle, so there is room both ways.
    Tune it up which as with any floating bridge might take more than one iterations
    Stretch strings
    Tune it up again
    Lock the neck
    Fine tune it with micro tuners as the sheer act of locking the lock will put it out of tune
    Done

Only wild guess I have is most (but not all) Ibanez FR bridges you cut off the ball at the end of the strings. Then you put string in it's slot and lock it down with an allen key. Maybe they didn't tighten it enough, tho that is hard to believe as eventually the string would just pop out??

All I can suggest is to start all over with a new set of strings and see if that makes a difference???? (I'm really out of ideas as you can hear)
    I see.. well, very unlikely I will change strings unless he breaks one. The strings he has on now I'm pretty sure the guitar came in with from the factory.

Well, I thought Bigsby was pita, but those FRs man... Also, when you palm mute, do you need to be extra careful not to put your wrist on the bridge with too much pressure or something?

User Info Menu

I see.. well, very unlikely I will change strings unless he breaks one. The strings he has on now I'm pretty sure the guitar came in with from the factory.

Well, I thought Bigsby was pita, but those FRs man... Also, when you palm mute, do you need to be extra careful not to put your wrist on the bridge with too much pressure or something?
    1). I was breaking strings. It turned out that there was a burr or very tiny sharp edge in that tiny block that you tighten to hold the string in place (this was a "licensed floyd rose" by the way, which I hear can be a little different from the "Original" floyd rose). My luthier had to sand down this burr for that string.
    2). In my case, stiffer springs allowed me to palm mute strongly enough to get the sound that I wanted without make the pitch go sharp. I doubt your student's guitar has that issue.

I wonder if Christian is going to go with a floyd rose equipped guitar? I think he will probably find himself cursing more than usual.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    BTW, "Best Thread Title" of the year!

Agreed! If I can ever find a use for it, I am going to invoke the term "pointy widdle machine".

User Info Menu

Old school trem for me then! I’m not sure if dive bomb enough to make the FR worthwhile. I had a strat for a while and once set up properly the vibrato was perfectly good for my needs.
    Last edited by christianm77; 11-30-2020 at 11:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Word on the street though is that there are no longer new licensed Floyd roses being made as the license has in fact expired.

So the trem on the FR equipped Harley Benton Fusions is a Floyd Rose 1000 which is apparently pretty decent and made on Indonesia. I would assume they are putting similar on low end Ibbys (not the GIOs that are trad trem, although apparently they are good), but also as those trems are something like $250 that’s pretty mad....

The majority of low end RG’s seem to be hard tails. I guess Djent players prefer hard tails or something?
    Last edited by christianm77; 11-30-2020 at 11:48 AM.

User Info Menu

This thread is pure British Invasion. I finally looked up "widdle", which apparently is mainly British slang, meaning a) to urinate and b) to play electric guitar fast.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    This thread is pure British Invasion. I finally looked up "widdle", which apparently is mainly British slang, meaning a) to urinate and b) to play electric guitar fast.
    Shhh. The whole point of Brit idioms is I can get away with saying bad things while sounding quaint.

User Info Menu

I imagine all those still following this thread are looking forward to a vid of you widdling..

User Info Menu

On second thoughts, 'looking forward' is not quite what I meant

User Info Menu

Yes, if this thread won't have a video of Christian widdling on his new pointy guitar it will become Disappointment of the Year. And this year saw a lot of disappointments already. Also, need to shop for the right outfit, leather, chains, long hair wig, the works.