The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Well, I was window shopping online and found a Guild X-150 in excellent condition for about &1300. I went ahead and put it on layaway, but I really wonder how much should I follow through. One of my students has one and I got to see it and play it. It was outstanding!

However, what is wrong with my AR-371? Absolutely nothing! It plays and feels great and does all that I want it to do! In this era of reduced gigs and students, do I really need the Guild? I can probably get enough out of my Eastman to pay for at least half the price of the Guild, if I am patient. Would I really be stepping up that much? What it boils down to is logic vs emotion!

I thought I had outgrown GAS, but apparently not. Is there any voice of reason out there? I need someone to talk me out of this!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Most of us go through this at one time or another.

User Info Menu

"voice of reason" and "gear" are antonyms.

User Info Menu

Put the money aside for a *really* nice guitar in a few years.

User Info Menu

Outgrown GAS?
    No one outgrows the GAS!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson
    Well, I was window shopping online and found a Guild X-150 in excellent condition for about &1300. I went ahead and put it on layaway, but I really wonder how much should I follow through. One of my students has one and I got to see it and play it. It was outstanding!

However, what is wrong with my AR-371? Absolutely nothing! It plays and feels great and does all that I want it to do! In this era of reduced gigs and students, do I really need the Guild? I can probably get enough out of my Eastman to pay for at least half the price of the Guild, if I am patient. Would I really be stepping up that much? What it boils down to is logic vs emotion!

I thought I had outgrown GAS, but apparently not. Is there any voice of reason out there? I need someone to talk me out of this!!
    I'm a firm believer in system redundancy.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

User Info Menu

You say 'X-150' ? So, not sure if my story applies.

I sold my AR371, a perfectly lovely guitar and kept my (Korean) Guild A-150.

Better guitar & better for me.

Welcome to an ever more uncertain and dangerous world.

Enjoy everything you can while you can.

Regards,

Enabler Rabbit

User Info Menu

Only $1300?

It could have been a lot worse.

Every pursuit has its gear issues.

Compared to fly fishermen, boaters, golfers, fashionistas, car guys, remodelers etc, you're like completely normal.

User Info Menu

If you're looking for an enabler then I'm in:

You need that guitar, it's the only thing that will make you happy and your playing will improve 10 fold. Your owning a Guild X-150 could quite possibly be the key to world peace... isn't $1,300 worth it if it can bring just a little peace to this crazy world?

User Info Menu

A Silly Conundrum-10947228_1563844657194649_5374868818892364045_n-jpg

Enjoy !

While in my estimation the Guild is a really nice guitar, I decided against it. I spent an evening with the Eastman and I consider it a really nice guitar as well. I have and would happily gig with it for a long time. With my limited resources and a very vigilant wife, I knew that I could never have both and it isnt worth the time and effort to sell it to do the "upgrade." Gigs and students are pretty much dried up and it would only be a house axe for a long time. For once in my life, logic wins over emotion. Must be old age.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Put the money aside for a *really* nice guitar in a few years.
    That's what I keep meaning to do but again, today, ended up with another budget instrument - this time a Japanese 175 lookalike!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson
    While in my estimation the Guild is a really nice guitar, I decided against it. I spent an evening with the Eastman and I consider it a really nice guitar as well. I have and would happily gig with it for a long time. With my limited resources and a very vigilant wife, I knew that I could never have both and it isnt worth the time and effort to sell it to do the "upgrade." Gigs and students are pretty much dried up and it would only be a house axe for a long time. For once in my life, logic wins over emotion. Must be old age.
    I admire your fortitude. I've never been able to emulate it, but I do admire it.

Stay strong!
    Last edited by citizenk74; 11-20-2020 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Typo

User Info Menu

Usually, I mull over a prospective purchase for months, sometimes years. I waited 18 months to get my Comins GCS-1.

But, on the other hand, I've bought two guitars in a store, on impulse. One of them, my Yamaha Pacifica 012 (their lowest end guitar), is the one I play the most at home. The other, a Little Martin Ed Sheeran model, became my son's favorite guitar and he recorded an album with it. It produced all kinds of great sounds.

So, I'm coming out squarely in favor of both kinds of purchases.

I'd add that the only thing I ever sold without later regret was my Lunchbox amp.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 11-20-2020 at 06:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, you need one archtop with rounds and one with flats. That's a rule. So...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Well, you need one archtop with rounds and one with flats. That's a rule. So...

Hmmm...my 7-string archtop has rounds on 7 & 6 and flats on 5,4 and 3. What am I doing wrong?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Most of us go through this at one time or another.
    or more than one time or another.

User Info Menu

I've been playing my 372 a lot lately and doggone it plays good and sounds good. I almost sold it, took it out of the case and played it to say goodbye and thought to myself what the hell are you thinking and backed out of the deal and I'm glad I did.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    That's what I keep meaning to do but again, today, ended up with another budget instrument - this time a Japanese 175 lookalike!
    This is it.
    Should arrive within a week.A Silly Conundrum-s-l1600-jpg
    Looks like a bit of work needed - possibly tailpiece a bit off so we'll see.??
    Superficial, but I just liked the colour (and shape)!