The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 45 of 45

User Info Menu

Damn! MF just had a Stupid Deal of The Day on cat urine odor neutralizer.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

The cat: Hmm, so for hundreds of years they used catgut for strings on these guitars right? Is this the box that the guitar go to?
    Last edited by Tal_175; 11-19-2020 at 07:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Oh man, cat piss is the worst! But there are several decent urine odor removers in the consumer pet market.
    Yes I tried a bunch of them. Actually funny story...I didn't notice the cat (he was just kitten then) had done that until the next day when I took the guitar out of the case agin to play it and thought "hmmm, what's that weird smell?". I called my luthier in a panic and he calmed me down and said just repeat cleaning the back of the guitar (where it had sat in kitten pee over night night!) with Megulars Car Polish and then again with naphtha, over and over again one after the other until the smell went away. That eventually worked fine and it didn't even damage the nitro finish at all. I think that since the cat was just a kitten then that the pee smell wasn't as bad as if he had been an adult.

The case on the other hand didn't come out too well because I was ignorant about how those plywood cases are constructed. You see, after lots of applications of some cat pee neutralizer (I can't remember which one) I found that I had just exchanged one bad smell for another and that the lovely soft fabric inside the case had turned all stiff and rough. ut of frustration I thought that I'd try to rinse some of this out of the case with some warm water but I didn't know that they use water-soluble glue in those things. I was rinsing out the case and the thing started to come apart at the seams. I was shocked. Why the hell do they do that? Has nobody ever been caught out in the rain and had their guitar case just dissolve and fall apart in their hands right there in the street? Ha! It is pretty funny now to look back at what a fiasco that was. I write this here so that maybe someone in the future can learn from my experience.

I haven't thought about this for years but now that I think about it, I'd kind of like to replace that case. Does anyone know where I could get a replacement Gibson Custom Shop case? The don't seem to be things you can just buy like other cases though.

Oh, if anyone was wondering about the cat. He is sitting (well, sleeping actually) next to me as I write this and I can't help love him. He is actually pretty awesome all thing considered.

User Info Menu

A friend gave me an expensive vintage brown and pink Lifton case that his cat had peed in. the smell had even gotten into the wood. I never could get it out no matter what I tried, Nature's Miracle is supposed to be the cat's meow [pun intended] and even that didn't work. It wound up @ the curb eventually after I took the hardware off for future case restorations.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggguitar
    My cat pee'd in the case of my brand new Gibson Custom Shop guitar three days after I bought it. (I was playing the guitar and had left the case open on the floor and was not paying attention) I was never able to get the pee smell out of it so it was a total loss. Ever since, I've used a Mono case for around town and a Hiscox case for when I have to fly with it. This is what I probably would have wound up doing anyway because that original case was really heavy and I wouldn't have trusted it to an airline if I had to check it.
    That said, it was a really nice case and it said "Gibson Custom" on it. I couldn't find a way to replace it and I really wish I still had it.
    I guess my point is that sometimes accidents happen.
    I would dig a hole in the back 40 large enough to bury the case....Then the next day, after the cat had a sudden fatal heart attack, at least I'd have something to bury it in.....

...: ) : ) : )

User Info Menu

IDK about nowadays, but back when I was a kid and even into high school, retail music stores treated cases as an optional addon. If you bought just the guitar, you'd get it in one of those trapezoidal heavy cardboard boxes. For most guitars you could buy a cardboard case if you didn't want to spring for the premium upsell of a hardshell case. I think many hobby players never bought a case or bought the cardboard case that didn't hold up so well.

User Info Menu

They can also drop the "stuffed" handles, they shred after a while (Peerless.....)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggguitar
    Does anyone know where I could get a replacement Gibson Custom Shop case?
    Just happened to see this and remembered your post...

Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Case Mint New Black/Genuine | Reverb

User Info Menu

If you look at old catalogues, they always listed the case separately at prices higher (adjusted for inflation) than we pay for cases today.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Just happened to see this and remembered your post...

Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Case Mint New Black/Genuine | Reverb
    Hey, very kind of you to think of me.

I didn't mention that I would need one for a 335 (my guitar is a 330L) though. I emailed Gibson customer support the other day just to see what they'd say but I haven't heard back from them which is totally fine.

It would be kind of sweet and fun to replace that case one of these days but it's not something that has to happen anytime soon if ever.

Thanks again!

User Info Menu

ggg, you'd get a better quality case for your Gibson by looking for a Tokai or Seventy-seven Guitars for the ES-335 style. Aren't you in Australia?

CASES – Tokai Guitars Australia

User Info Menu

One guitar I bought arrived in a great case, except i think the owner must have kept either cherry flavored pipe tobacco or swisher sweets cigars in the storage space. After several years that smell dissipated. Thank goodness.

User Info Menu

My hard cases get almost no use except for my carved archtop during the fall/winter months (due to low humidity).

For real world use I've got two different sized Mono Vertigos...one really stout one for small guitars (fits my solid body and my 15" thinline) and a lighter one for 16" archtops. Only on rare occasions when I take a 16" on a road trip will I schlepp a hard case out of the home.

I've sold or donated a few of my hard cases that will never get any use and that I can't be bothered to store. In my case with "only" 4 guitars (um, plus one travel guitar that lives in a tiny gig bag), this is all very manageable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    ggg, you'd get a better quality case for your Gibson by looking for a Tokai or Seventy-seven Guitars for the ES-335 style. Aren't you in Australia?

CASES – Tokai Guitars Australia
    I wish I was in Australia! Nope, I'm stuck in Brooklyn, NY. I've been to Sydney once but only for a very short visit. I absolutely loved it.

User Info Menu

I wish my guitars had come without a case.... they’re just taking space in my music room....

User Info Menu

Too many gittars !!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    Too many gittars !!!
    Yes...... guilty as charged.....

User Info Menu

My new 4K Taylor came with a case supposedly made of oak. It is heavy and has flimsy latches I expect to fail within a few years. Since I’m in a desert I use case humidifiers and find those cheesoid molded plastic and aluminum cases best for maintaining humidity.

User Info Menu

In my case cases are piling up under the bed. I use gigbags for transport.

User Info Menu

Nice collection (the guitars, not the cases), Little Jay.