The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 45

User Info Menu

One would think that it should be a pretty difficult thing to lose a guitar case. Especially the cases of expensive guitars.
    More often that not, used guitars do not come with the original cases. If the guitar is like older than 4 years, forget about the original case.
    What is happening to the cases?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

w/ vintage guitars they can get worn out, especially in the hands of professional musicians

User Info Menu

Like a pair of socks in the dryer ...

User Info Menu

My last two purchases I've chosen to not buy a case. I have plenty of cases but have more guitars than I have cases, cases take a lot of room, and I've had moisture and/or mildew damage as a result of leaving a guitar in a case. If you already have a case that will fit, you don't need a case for all your guitars.

I actually do not like to use cases. They are heavy and hard to carry. I prefer quality, padded gigbags like Mono's.
    But when I buy a nice used guitar, if it doesn't come with the original case, I'm inexplicably saddened.

My Taylor from 96 has it og case. Same with my guild I bought in March lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

When I see a used guitar for sale without the original case it came with, it makes me wonder why. I always wonder if the guitar was stolen.

User Info Menu

I don't like hard cases and when possible buy guitars without them. I prefer to use reinforced gig bags (e.g. Mono and RB Continental). I've given away or sold a couple of hardshell cases, and even tossed one because I have nowhere to put extra cases.

I suspect there are more people.like me than there are people who deliberately accumulate and preserve extra cases. Hence a declining case population.

John

User Info Menu

They take up all this space. If you have say 5 or 10 guitars, you need half a room. If gigging locally, you probably have gigbags for all your gigging guitars. Even at home, many use multi stands or wall stands, so often cases get sold.

User Info Menu

Of course, there is always the issue of someone's soon to be ex who always counted cases, so - -- ....Wasn't there a member here who said he always kept an empty case in his trunk for that one guitars he'd stumble upon ??

Or another member here who kept spares in his garage and did the switches there ?? Not sure how any of these magicians' misdirections worked, but never had to worry about learning them either......: )
    Last edited by Dennis D; 11-19-2020 at 10:19 AM.

That's why they have locks on guitar cases. If someone's gonna steal the guitar, they have to take the case too. That's the deal. I don't want them to just take the guitar and leave me with a case that I have to find a storage for.

User Info Menu

When you sell a guitar, the case is a bonus. It adds no value to the buyer, however you can sell the case separately and make at least $50 more.

User Info Menu

Cases do take up a lot of valuable storage space and are ungainly.

Still, I am in a relatively low-humidity area and I keep my guitars in cases unless they are in my playing rotation.

I also carry them in cases on the rare occasion that I go out and jam. I am too clumsy. I can show you chips and scratches on a couple of guitars from using gig bags and not being careful.

User Info Menu

This is a lot like another question that bothers me. What has happened to all the tons and tons of rubber that has worn off of tires since cars began?

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    This is a lot like another question that bothers me. What has happened to all the tons and tons of rubber that has worn off of tires since cars began?
    This?
    Attached Images Attached Images What the heck is happening to the guitar cases?-tire-jpeg 

User Info Menu

What happened to all the Gibson certificates of authenticity and other items that come with a guitar. I don't own any used Gibson that has any of that stuff. It is nearly impossible to retrieve any of that stuff with the serial numbers. The chances of it showing on ebay are so slim.

User Info Menu

Elven vampires sleep in them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    I also carry them in cases on the rare occasion that I go out and jam. I am too clumsy. I can show you chips and scratches on a couple of guitars from using gig bags and not being careful.
    How do you get a scratch on a guitar in a gig bag?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    You are eating and breathing it.

Rubber pollution - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Like a pair of socks in the dryer ...
    the first time I fixed my dryer I found a bunch inside the guts. FWIW. Baby socks from when the kids were tiny.

User Info Menu

My cat pee'd in the case of my brand new Gibson Custom Shop guitar three days after I bought it. (I was playing the guitar and had left the case open on the floor and was not paying attention) I was never able to get the pee smell out of it so it was a total loss. Ever since, I've used a Mono case for around town and a Hiscox case for when I have to fly with it. This is what I probably would have wound up doing anyway because that original case was really heavy and I wouldn't have trusted it to an airline if I had to check it.
    That said, it was a really nice case and it said "Gibson Custom" on it. I couldn't find a way to replace it and I really wish I still had it.
    I guess my point is that sometimes accidents happen.

User Info Menu

All of my instruments (~12?) are in racks or stands, and the cases are stored in my crawl space. (Which is actually above the basement level, carpeted and dry, you can sleep there.) I just keep 2 different sized quality gig bags handy, my gigging guitars each fit in one or the other.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggguitar
    My cat pee'd in the case of my brand new Gibson Custom Shop guitar three days after I bought it. (I was playing the guitar and had left the case open on the floor and was not paying attention) I was never able to get the pee smell out of it so it was a total loss.
    Oh man, cat piss is the worst! But there are several decent urine odor removers in the consumer pet market.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Of course, there is always the issue of someone's soon to be ex who always counted cases, so - -- ....Wasn't there a member here who said he always kept an empty case in his trunk for that one guitars he'd stumble upon ??

Or another member here who kept spares in his garage and did the switches there ?? Not sure how any of these magicians' misdirections worked, but never had to worry about learning them either......: )
    Not quite the same, but I once took an empty case along with a full one to have them both set up. Actually, one did need some minor work, but the empty was for a 7 string classical I had my eye on. Not sure where the empty case came from or what had been in at first.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    How do you get a scratch on a guitar in a gig bag?
    I threw it in my trunk, along with a guitar stand and a Boss GT-8 in its own carrying case. I think the weight of the GT-8 pushed the corner of the guitar stand into the front of the Les Paul, causing a "ding" that later turned into a chip.

I was in a hurry hiding it from the wife to go to a jam, lo those many years ago. If I had used a case, I could have stacked most anything on top of the gutar.