The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 80

User Info Menu

I love George Benson. In 1976 when I heard the Breezin album the 1st time I was hooked. And when I got the Weekend in LA album in 1979, I dreamed of being able to make a guitar sound like that some day. And as of now, that “some day” has never come because it takes more than a dream. It takes insane talent, ability and perserverance - The kind only George has..

I am very fond of my Guitar hero’s. I hold a couple of them in the highest regard. I remember reading a George Benson interview in Premier Guitar Magazine once and I was touched by reading him say wonderful things about one of my other hero’s, Johnny Smith. When asked about why he re-did “Tenderly” on the Guitar Man album, George said, “This version recaptures the romantic side of that wonderful song. I was trying to do a more romantic version based on the Johnny Smith version. He’s one of my favorite players. Wes and I used to talk about him all the time—how beautifully he played and the tuning down to D, which he made popular back then.”.. Reading George say those things made me love him even more. I even reached out to his publicist to tell him about the “lost” Johnny Smith interview that resurfaced a couple years back. Johnny said some fond things about George in that interview. George’s publicist wrote me back and told me she passed on the link to George and he was grateful..

Well.. I’ll never match George’s talent, but maybe buying a George Benson Guitar might get me closer?
    I was lucky to have a beautiful GB10 once, but I’ve wanted the upscale version ever since I saw a picture of Gitfiddler’s sexy GB-12 sitting on his couch. Those are rare and hard to come by. But a little more frequently, you see a GB100 pop up. About a month ago, one such Guitar became available to me just over the Hudson, in Queens, NY. The body of the guitar was kept in near mint condition by one of the top young NYC players. The gold parts, were unfortunately badly pitted and tarnished. I went on a hunt for replacements and a month later, I am proud to present, my new (to me) baby. A PERFECT, 1998 Ibanez GB100. After a month I can tell you with 100% certainty, This is an incredible guitar. Right up there with my L5. This guitar is symbolic of my guitar life. I will have it till the end..
    Thanks for looking.
    Ibanez GB100-img_9414-jpgIbanez GB100-img_9437-jpgIbanez GB100-img_9427-jpgIbanez GB100-img_9436-jpgIbanez GB100-img_9425-jpgIbanez GB100-img_9443-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

hey congrats Joe D...lovely guitar...and from nyc no less..hah...look forward to a vid soon

stay good

cheers

ps- cool tale about you sending smith interview to george! nice

User Info Menu

pss- great pics..and your classic shine!! looks spectacular

and that thoms red silk! hah

cheers

User Info Menu

Congrats. Stunning. Enjoy it!

User Info Menu

Very nice, Joe. I'm sure playing it will be a "breeze". Have fun, and don't forget to share!

User Info Menu

What a gorgeous guitar, Joe. Why don't you record the same song on the GB100 and the L5 to compare and contrast?

Dan

User Info Menu

Excellent! Congratulations.

Looking forward to you making a joyful noise on that beauty.

Play it in good health.

User Info Menu

Joe,
    We have talked about the GB100, and you know that I had mine for a very long time
    but used it as a px on my 2013 Tal Farlow, which otherwise I could not afford in cash.
    No regrets, but it was a good workhorse and I had my moneys worth from it, They are
    ideal gigging instruments. Yours now refurbished looks as new, I wish you lots of fun
    with it, and of course , the mandatory videos which we shall look forward to hearing.

Best, Alan

User Info Menu

I am happy for you, Joe, on getting your GB-100. It's a beautiful guitar bound to be regarded as a classic, if it isn't already. Looking forward to hearing you play it! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

JD, Those Japanese made Ibanez Archtops are great guitars. I wish Gibson's were made as well.....sigh.

Congrats and may she inspire your playing...... until you get the next guitar that inspires your playing. And if you say you are REALLY done this time, well, I am not believing it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    pss- great pics..and your classic shine!! looks spectacular
    and that thoms red silk! hah
    cheers
    Thank you Neatomic. I use 100% Carnuba on the Gold and Virtuoso on the body. And on the neck, you got it buddy.. thoms...
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    hey congrats Joe D...lovely guitar...and from nyc no less..hah...look forward to a vid soon stay good
    cheers
    ps- cool tale about you sending smith interview to george! nice
    Check you out, “stay good”.. Gettin all current and stuff.. I love it!
    Hey next year, we are circling the island of Manhattan on JetSki’s. Battery to Battery.. I’ll say hi to John D’Angelico for you!
    Thanks Buddy.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teeps
    Congrats. Stunning. Enjoy it!
    Thank you Teeps!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Very nice, Joe. I'm sure playing it will be a "breeze". Have fun, and don't forget to share!
    Robster! How’s my guy? You ain’t kidding buddy, it is a Breeze to play. You have my affirmation on that!
    I’ll make you a deal.. I’ll share if you share? I miss your videos ole methuselah of la’musika.. thanks buddy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dcrowe
    What a gorgeous guitar, Joe. Why don't you record the same song on the GB100 and the L5 to compare and contrast?
    Dan
    Hey Dan, how are you buddy? I might do something like that.
    3 down one to go. My heart is pulling me in a direction that’s gonna cost me big time. I only want to keep meaningful guitars. Yours absolutely one of them.
    Good hearing from you my man.
    JD
    Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Excellent! Congratulations.
    Looking forward to you making a joyful noise on that beauty.
    Play it in good health.
    Gitfiddler! You trouble-maker you...
    You started this one and you know it. I am so glad you did. This is in the top 3 most beautiful guitars I’ve ever seen AND played!
    I love it!
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Joe,
    We have talked about the GB100, and you know that I had mine for a very long time but used it as a px on my 2013 Tal Farlow, which otherwise I could not afford in cash. No regrets, but it was a good workhorse and I had my moneys worth from it, They are ideal gigging instruments. Yours now refurbished looks as new, I wish you lots of fun with it, and of course , the mandatory videos which we shall look forward to hearing.
    Best, Alan
    Foxman,
    When you told me you had one, then I knew it was a slam dunk.
    Guitars from here on in will be meaningful guitars. Guitars directly related to my hero’s. It can’t get any better.
    I’m glad you are my friend. Thanks for always being there Alan.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I am happy for you, Joe, on getting your GB-100. It's a beautiful guitar bound to be regarded as a classic, if it isn't already. Looking forward to hearing you play it! Congratulations, and play it in good health!
    C74, what would this place be without you? Thank you for always being the class of the organization.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    JD, Those Japanese made Ibanez Archtops are great guitars. I wish Gibson's were made as well.....sigh.
    Congrats and may she inspire your playing...... until you get the next guitar that inspires your playing. And if you say you are REALLY done this time, well, I am not believing it.
    SS, the neck on this is very similar to the neck on your HDA. Very similar. And I get it now.
    As one of my closest friends here... YOU KNOW WE WILL NEVER BE DONE!!! Only when our top hand is glued to our bottom hand and our bottom hand is fastened to our chest with a spike of some kind!
    Thank for being my bro!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

A big Congrats Bro. WOW.....look at that bling ! Where are my shades.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    \..

Check you out, “stay good”.. Gettin all current and stuff.. I love it!
    been a big city guy my whole life..still am...coast to coast..seen lots...i earned the right! hah

cheers

User Info Menu

Joe,

You're trying to make us cry, right? Naughty, naughty.

Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Joe,
    That guitar is strikingly beautiful. The entire design is well thought out - it’s sort of like the Ibanez equivalent to the Gibson Les Paul Supreme - only nicer. I love the tail pc.
    Glad you acquired one of these- it’s a keeper for sure.

Looking forward to some videos .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Congratulations, Joe! That whole family of guitars is outstanding and the sound, playability and the quality of the construction is second to only a few. George knew what he was doing when he worked with Ibanez to design those rascals. The neck on mine is the most comfortable neck I have ever played. It was my first professional grade instrument and my first gigging guitar. The GB100 is a whole 'nother level up.

I have a 1981 GB 10 that I've had for 34 years and still love playing every time I take it out of the case. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    A big Congrats Bro. WOW.....look at that bling ! Where are my shades.
    Thanks Vin.
    Thanks for everything you've ever done for me. I will never forget.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Joe,
    That guitar is strikingly beautiful. The entire design is well thought out - it’s sort of like the Ibanez equivalent to the Gibson Les Paul Supreme - only nicer. I love the tail pc.
    Glad you acquired one of these- it’s a keeper for sure.

Looking forward to some videos .
    Yeah, you know, you have a point. The proportions are similar. To my eye, a 2 pickup guitar should have a certain layout. Symmetry is important. I am glad I bought this guitar. It didnt kill us. I get more joy and pride out of the guitar than the price belies. I'm happy.
    Thanks Steve. JD
    PS. OK, I might have to cook up some Videos.. Maybe there will be a Benson-fest this weekend.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    Joe,
    You're trying to make us cry, right? Naughty, naughty.
    Congratulations!
    Naa, not at all. Trying to make you guys happy!
    Thank you Rabbit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Congratulations, Joe! That whole family of guitars is outstanding and the sound, playability and the quality of the construction is second to only a few. George knew what he was doing when he worked with Ibanez to design those rascals. The neck on mine is the most comfortable neck I have ever played. It was my first professional grade instrument and my first gigging guitar. The GB100 is a whole 'nother level up.
    I have a 1981 GB 10 that I've had for 34 years and still love playing every time I take it out of the case. Enjoy!
    C, Thanks buddy.
    I originally bought the guitar because if I play out again, this size suits my body type. I might have a rehearsal this weekend and I will get know the guitar better when I get past the concentration level that the couch provides and just let it fly. We will see what happens.
    I think the Ibanez GB10 is probably a wiser choice because of the increased feedback resistance. The 1/2" increase in depth of the GB100 will increase feedback/howl while acoustically, it still sounds like a transistor radio compared to my 165. I've been in love with this guitar ever since I saw Gitfiddler's GB12. Had to have it. It is a meaningful Guitar. I am happy.
    JD

User Info Menu

Bro you did a lot since the 1st pics you sent me. All the gold is now brand new looking. Bravo on digging up replacement parts.
    Very minty now just like we must have it.

Enablers-R-Us will be contacting you very soon to inform you about your next MUST have acquisition.
    Sorry Elaine but it is our job.....LOL