The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Hi all. Can anyone recommend a hard case for a 1936/37 Gibson ES-150? It was my grandfather’s, and the (non-original) case for it is falling apart.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

any standard 16" archtop case or dreadnought case w/an arched top should fit the guitar reasonably well.

User Info Menu

@gMan2636: congrats! You own a piece of history and the fact that it is a family instrument makes it of great sentimental value.

For me and a couple of guys on this forum, the prewar ES-150 is the pinnacle of electric jazz guitars. I am the happy owner of a '38 model with its original case. The case is still in great shape and will last for another century without problem.

Best.

User Info Menu

I did some research and came up with a few options.

Archtop.com has a case listed for a number of 16” archtops, including the ES-150:

ac accessories

I also found a number of standard dreadnought cases that look like they may work, based on the listed dimensions. Here are a couple:

- https://www.gatorcases.com/products/guitar/deluxe-wood-cases/journeyman/dreadnaught-acoustic-case-gw-jm-dread
    - https://www.skbcases.com/music/produ...set=&c=83&s=75

Would the one from Archtop.com fit better than a standard dreadnought case?

User Info Menu

As for the guitar itself, the serial number isn’t entirely legible, but it has the full blade Charlie Christian pickup (no B-string notch), which puts it at ‘36 or ‘37. I found it in my grandparents basement several years ago when I started playing and decided to take a look through all my grandfather’s old instruments. He said he bought it used in the early 40’s for $50. We had it restored at Gibson repair and restore, who did a great job.

Unfortunately, my grandfather passed earlier this year, so I’m looking after the guitar now.

User Info Menu

I've used what's called the "Small F" Jumbo guitar case for various 16" Gibson archtops I've had.
    Don't know what "small F" refers to but thats the one that has worked.

Mine were TKL or Canadian TKL versions but can't seem to find one online at the moment.

This Guardian has the right interior dimensions and looks well made.

Guardian Vintage "Small-F" Guitar Case – Elderly Instruments

Dreadnought cases might work but the fit will be awkward for the Gibson's round lower bout.

User Info Menu

My L-50 (same shape as ES-150) is currently housed in a case that once was used for an ES-175. So, I'd think any ES-175 case should work for the ES-150.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zizala
    I've used what's called the "Small F" Jumbo guitar case for various 16" Gibson archtops I've had.
    Don't know what "small F" refers to but thats the one that has worked.

Mine were TKL or Canadian TKL versions but can't seem to find one online at the moment.

This Guardian has the right interior dimensions and looks well made.

Guardian Vintage "Small-F" Guitar Case – Elderly Instruments

Dreadnought cases might work but the fit will be awkward for the Gibson's round lower bout.
    Yeah, "Small F" means 16" archtop vs. the bigger one for the 17" guitars.

My 1937 ES-150 came to me in a normal dreadnaught case, and it fits, but it's not great - it shifts around a little more than I'm really comfortable with.
    I'd definitely recommend getting an archtop specific case.

TKL has a couple different levels of case, but the model numbers for the "small F" end in "16".
    The big F ones for a 17" guitar end in "20", fyi.

As for me, I never replaced that case, because the guitar spends the rest of time in a Reunion Blues Continental Bag or in a Hoffee Flight case.

User Info Menu

I’m a huge fan of the Hiscox Pro II cases
    lightweight, look great, and offer great protection

they are about $299 or $329 for the great looking creme colored ones

they are tested and can withstand like 1200lbs on top of them, and also seal nicely to keep your guitar a little more protected from the temperature

ive had 4 or 5 and would definitely recommend

User Info Menu

I can also recommend Hiscox Cases, that said, you have to ask them to send you some extra pads, because it's slightly too large around the butt and lower bouts of an ES-150. That said, they'll totally send some nice little velvet coated pads (almost like little pillows that match the lining of the case) and they do a good job of staying put.