The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 60 of 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Always wise to first play it and wait with spending money Japanese 175 type - is there something off?

It looks exactly like my Condor when that was still original, every detail. I read Condor was made by Tombo, so if that’s true then yours probably came from Tombo as well.
    A couple more photos. Based on appearance the pickups don't look anything special.Japanese 175 type - is there something off?-20201211_142706-jpgJapanese 175 type - is there something off?-20201211_142131-jpgJapanese 175 type - is there something off?-20201211_142055-jpgJapanese 175 type - is there something off?-20201211_141543-jpgJapanese 175 type - is there something off?-20201211_142607-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There’s a good chance the pickups aren’t even humbuckers ;-)

User Info Menu

Agreed. Sub in the HBs of choice,* take, Little Jay's advice on the TP, and wail away!

*'57 Classics do it for me. They came with my 55th Anniversary ES-175, and sound great.

User Info Menu

Those probably aren't. But still, a good chance that they sound good. I've had a pair of those infamous "Japanese singles disguised as hums" in an old Framus (weird upgrade by its previous owner, I know), and they actually sounded great, even with a lot of distortion. Never wanted to put the original Framus sixties singles back in. You can check the allknowing parts of Internet - general consensus is that those old Japanese experiments are more than usable, to say the least.

Which is to say, don't just throw them away.

User Info Menu

So, does the Sakura please you, so far?

Hi LJ
    Thanks for asking. Not had much chance so far. I've been away a bit. But I do now have a new set of flatwounds and plan to find myself a good straight edge to check the tailpiece and adjust if necessary before the string change. Cheers.

User Info Menu

I forgot - I haven't shared a soundfile. How rude of me. Anyway, here's how my Aria sounds.
    https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/atta...1&d=1608725916
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Roll
    I forgot - I haven't shared a soundfile. How rude of me. Anyway, here's how my Aria sounds.
    Sounds great!

User Info Menu

Sounds great!
    Thank you! Great guitars came from Matsumoku. Not a "be all, end all" guitar, but usable for all intents and purposes.

User Info Menu

Bump

Ray