The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTwang
    Nice looking guitar. I've been agonizing over design/building a Tele Thinline with MJT body/neck but wanted a heftier bridge (more than a thin vintage plate tele bridge), carved top and fuller pickups than stock Tele p/u's (and wanted trans-red with binding) - OP's guitar has a bridge reminiscent of a 70's Fender Starcaster, and checks all the other boxes. Great looking guitar!
    I feel like you're describing the feature set of a G&L ASAT special.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 50Hz
    I feel like you're describing the feature set of a G&L ASAT special.
    I have an ASAT Special, but the mention of a "carved top" tips my recommendation to an ASAT Deluxe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I have an ASAT Special, but the mention of a "carved top" tips my recommendation to an ASAT Deluxe.
    Good call. I had a Classic for a short time that I sadly had to return due to damage from shipping. But for what I paid and how nice it was I feel like they're still criminally underrated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 50Hz
    Good call. I had a Classic for a short time that I sadly had to return due to damage from shipping. But for what I paid and how nice it was I feel like they're still criminally underrated.
    I also see the wish list was for a thineline. The Deluxe also comes in a thinline!

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=BigDaddyLoveHandles;1076500]I have an ASAT Special, but the mention of a "carved top" tips my recommendation to an ASAT Deluxe.

[/QUOTE

That's a one good looking mother fxckxr.

User Info Menu

Well those guitar are gorgeous...!!!
    but my conviction is that if I have onle one Tele it sould be the one with singles!)))

I also tried the other day a Squier with P90s.. it sounded surprisingly well especially I like the bridge pick up and mix... it was crispy but warm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Well those guitar are gorgeous...!!!
    but my conviction is that if I have onle one Tele it sould be the one with singles!)))

I also tried the other day a Squier with P90s.. it sounded surprisingly well especially I like the bridge pick up and mix... it was crispy but warm
    It's the same with the HB !
    Nice warm clean with the neck pick-up with volume end tone pots rolled down a bit
    Crispy but still warm with the bridge pick-up when cranked

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    It's the same with the HB !
    Nice warm clean with the neck pick-up with volume end tone pots rolled down a bit
    Crispy but still warm with the bridge pick-up when cranked
    It is getting tempting)))

Inly 200EUR on Thomann with delivery even over here...

How are the frets? I do not expect miracles but still... do the fretends catch the hand?

Any guitar needs fretwork but still
    Last edited by Jonah; 12-01-2020 at 07:04 AM.

User Info Menu

If it looks like a Tele, it's a Tele.
    I can shoot holes into every other definition.
    I think we should collect money and send one to Bill Frisell for verification)

User Info Menu

It is getting tempting)))

Inly 200EUR on Thomann with delivery even over here...

How are the frets? I do not expect miracles but still... do the fretends catch the hand?

Any guitar needs fretwork but still
    Check the first post

User Info Menu

they do a blue one with HBs too

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_te_90qm_hh_trans_blue.htm?o=29&searc h=1606843382

i’ve been eyeing these up
    gas huh ?
    £200 I’m very tempted

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    they do a blue one with HBs too

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_te_90qm_hh_trans_blue.htm?o=29&searc h=1606843382

i’ve been eyeing these up
    gas huh ?
    £200 I’m very tempted
    Imho with chesp HB on cheap guitars there is more risk to get unreadable muddy tone (especisly in chords and intervals) than with P90s or Singles

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RonD
    How many Harley Bentons do you own?
    I have three, all stock.
    None. 'So what?')
    We share the experience here.

I have experience with cheap humbuckers on cheap guitars that they give very mudy unreadable sound often... but cheap P90s or singles can work better (probably just because of more high frequencies?)... this is it.

I you think that with Harley Bentons it is not the case... share your point of view .. I did not say anything wrong about them.
    Last edited by Jonah; 12-02-2020 at 05:58 AM.

User Info Menu

This is Squier with P90s that I liked at the store. I liked bridge pickup and the mix... sounded very much like 60s rock clean sound.... hot but crispy

But it seems to be a bit more expensive than Harley Benton

User Info Menu

None. 'So what?')
    We share the experience here.

I have experience with cheap humbuckers on cheap guitars that they give very mudy unreadable sound often... but cheap P90s or singles can work better (probably just because of more high frequencies?)... this is it.

I you think that with Harley Bentons it is not the case... share your point of view .. I did not say anything wrong about them.
    Hey Jonah.
    You're absolutely right. I apologize for the tone and inference of my post. I will delete it.
    As I mentioned in post #20, I have two hb equipped Harley Bentons. I also have an acoustic, their copy of Taylor's GS mini.
    All 3 guitars "punch above their weight".
    The only thing I had to do to them was change strings and adjust the action to my taste.
    The hb pickups on the semi and the prs clone are both labeled Roswell. Surprisingly good sounding. A little bit hotter than I would normally choose,but they sound very good to me.

Again, no offense meant.

Ron

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RonD
    Hey Jonah.
    You're absolutely right. I apologize for the tone and inference of my post. I will delete it.
    As I mentioned in post #20, I have two hb equipped Harley Bentons. I also have an acoustic, their copy of Taylor's GS mini.
    All 3 guitars "punch above their weight".
    The only thing I had to do to them was change strings and adjust the action to my taste.
    The hb pickups on the semi and the prs clone are both labeled Roswell. Surprisingly good sounding. A little bit hotter than I would normally choose,but they sound very good to me.

Again, no offense meant.

Ron
    I did not take it as offence of course!
    I just ... when I am in the net I try to respond exactly to what's written that helps to avoid misunderstanding.

By the way my current archtop is cheap Dean Palomino that has surprisingly good pickup which I like much more than stock pickups on Epi Broadway or low end Ibanez...
    Surprisingly it has warmness, space and clarity.
    And Dean is cheaper Chinese production ... flawlessly constructed... the only issue.. it is too heavy for that type of guitar.

It has also one the best headstock I saw on arch top. I do not like the tail piece

So you never know..