The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 41

User Info Menu

I thought I didn't need no stinkin' Tele.
    As I was turning 60 and didn't buy a guitar since 54 months, I thought I could have a birthday gift from me to me and thank me later. The kind of gift that makes you feel better for a while, especially in these lockdown times.
    But what kind of guitar ? I have already all I need (maybe more !), except a Tele (that I Don't need, but that's not the question).
    I ended up with this :
    NTD : New Tele Day-img_3856-jpg
    Pros :
    - light
    - nice (very nice) looking
    - fun to play
    - comfortable to play
    - both pick-ups and pots are usable and efficient to cover sounds from classic jazz to strong rock(and everything in between)
    - quite good set up as far as I can tell for the time being with the strings it came with (10's, too light for my liking, but I let it the time for the guitar to acclimate). Fretwork seems OK, nut seems correctly cut, neck is dead straight, action OK, no complaint about intonation)

Cons :
    - name on the headstock is not one of the famous which force people to say : "What a nice guitar you've got !".

Of course, I have to wait to see how it ages
    But right now I'm wondering : why pay more for a guitar ?

NTD : New Tele Day-img_3877-jpg
    NTD : New Tele Day-img_3872-jpg
    NTD : New Tele Day-img_3874-jpg

If you ask me, it's not only a good guitar for the price, it's a good guitar, period.
    Youngsters are lucky to have such instruments available at such a price to start musical education

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks lovely, but, come on, that's a tele-shaped guitar, not a tele.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Looks lovely, but, come on, that's a tele-shaped guitar, not a tele.
    Sure, only a Tele is a real Tele !

User Info Menu

Lovely.
    Give us a taste via video, won't you?

User Info Menu

Congrats! Enjoy!

User Info Menu

What Hammertone said... don't worry about becoming a Tele fanatic with that fine looking guitar.

Pros :
    - light
    Did we mention that it's not really a Telecaster?

But right now I'm wondering : why pay more for a guitar ?

It's a valid question. I will stand on my cases of Custom Shop Fenders, vintage and new
    Martin guitars and whatever else I can find in the closet, and proclaim that in modern times
    one can find a very good guitar for under $500 USD. The rest is in your hands.

User Info Menu

If it looks like a Tele, it's a Tele.
    I can shoot holes into every other definition.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 11-16-2020 at 01:57 PM.

User Info Menu

is it HB Tele?..:-)

User Info Menu

Well, that punches above it's weight!

User Info Menu

That is just really sweet-looking. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Holy crap that sounds and looks amazing. Fantastic playing...as a newcomer to jazz that’s what I’m aspiring to. Bravo.

User Info Menu

Looks beautiful. If you can't say "Tele", say "T-style".

User Info Menu

Amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Recent Harley Benton issues prove that quality can improve by tons without a commensurate rise in price. I have one of their LP clones as a test guitar, except my hyper-critical son confiscated it and has no intention to return it. These guitars are worth a lot more, but they simply started from the wrong end and will be haunted by the bargain basement image for a long time. Meanwhile, big names get away with miserable QC and cheaply made products at price points that are a multiple of H-B's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Yes it is, but it's not me playing :-(
    (far from it !)
    How I wish I could play like that !
    At least, I already have the guitar ;-)

User Info Menu

Nice looking guitar. I've been agonizing over design/building a Tele Thinline with MJT body/neck but wanted a heftier bridge (more than a thin vintage plate tele bridge), carved top and fuller pickups than stock Tele p/u's (and wanted trans-red with binding) - OP's guitar has a bridge reminiscent of a 70's Fender Starcaster, and checks all the other boxes. Great looking guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTwang
    Nice looking guitar. I've been agonizing over design/building a Tele Thinline with MJT body/neck but wanted a heftier bridge (more than a thin vintage plate tele bridge), carved top and fuller pickups than stock Tele p/u's (and wanted trans-red with binding) - OP's guitar has a bridge reminiscent of a 70's Fender Starcaster, and checks all the other boxes. Great looking guitar!
    It looks similar to a HipShot bridge: https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...il-bridge.html

User Info Menu

When people say only a real Tele qualifies as a Real Tele! I definitely understand what they mean.

Much of the original Tele design revolves around the bridge and it's unique pickup with a steel plate underneath the pickup.
    Remember Leo Fender was originally selling Lap Steels and amplifiers before electric guitars came along!

So while the body shape of Tele is often copied in many designs, the bridge is what brings the True Telecaster Tone affecianados to this guitar!
    Ed Bickert may be one of the few who chose it for actual practical purposes,lol!

User Info Menu

Congratz man!

Love those HB's! I have a bunch myself

User Info Menu

+1 for Harley Benton. Thomann has got it right.
    I own a couple of them. A 335 style and a PRS style.
    I sold my PRS SE a week after receiving the HB.
    The 335 style is currently strung with Chromes and is my go to practice guitar!
    They sound great and play well.
    Got both of them for about $800 Canadian. Received in a week.

IMO YMMV

User Info Menu

Thanks Max, yes it looks really good !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greveost
    Congratz man!

Love those HB's! I have a bunch myself
    Thanks man !
    Now that I have one, I understand.
    May I add that your review had a significant contribution to my decision to buy this guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    It looks similar to a HipShot bridge: Hipshot Hardtail Bridge | stewmac.com

Actual bridge on my guitar :
    NTD : New Tele Day-img_3873-jpg
    Hipshot bridge may be considered as a potential upgrade, if needed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    Thanks man !
    Now that I have one, I understand.
    May I add that your review had a significant contribution to my decision to buy this guitar.

Wow, that is nice to hear, glad I can help

User Info Menu

I have been quite happy with heavy bridges from Gotoh, Rutters and others. And MJT is great - I've put together a couple of dozen nice instruments with their bodies with no unpleasant surprises.
    Attached Images Attached Images NTD : New Tele Day-gotoh-tele-jpg NTD : New Tele Day-rutters-jpg