The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

A lot was attributed to the Cube 60's "miracle speaker", a seemingly cheap, probably MIC speaker that is very flat. I once tried to swap it, but could not wrestle anything else into the existing space. When the original speaker was back and wired, the cab produced a noticeable, hissing "tail" to every note. This lasted for some time, then disappeared. A strange "learning" behavior.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    DB,

First off let me say this; you are one of those guys who could make a cigar box with rubber bands sound good, so anything you demo will sound better in your videos than most guys will sound when they get whatever gear you have demoed. Back in 1980 I had a Cube 60 (Made in Japan). Very nice amp, but it didn't sound as good as my first Polytone (bought in 1974) did, so I sold it a year later and bought another Polytone. These days, Polytone is gone, Henriksen is pretty much the new Polytone and Roland is making the Cube amps (and others) in whatever low labor cost Asian Country that makes economic sense. Back in the day, the difference in cost between the American made Polytone and the Japanese made Roland was small enough to justify the Polytone. Today the cost difference between the Henriksen and the Roland Cubes (or other amps such as the DV Mark Little Jazz) may be harder to justify (Diminishing returns have been "amplified"). That said, I prefer the Henriksen to the Roland Cube or the DV Mark Little Jazz and was willing to pay the (not insignificant) difference. Those with more limited discretionary funds may feel otherwise.
    Globalism combined with technology has made some fine guitars and amps available at very low costs. My issue is that when gear is this cheap, it becomes financially unwise to fix it when it breaks, thus contribution to a toxic waste problem (though recycling technology is reducing that issue as we speak).
    Thanks SS. And you make a good point about cheap (throwaway) gear. I have been playing a Mambo amp for years now (not a cheap amp at all) and have rediscovered my 90s Polytone too. With only 7 kilos, the Mambo is more portable than my Polytone Mini Brute IV (with a 15" speaker). They both sound great. It's not that I need a Cube but I was kind of surprised it sounded nice enough when I borrowed one. I always thought (based on nothing really) that they were no good. I demoed a Henriksen once and yes, that's a good sounding amp indeed.

I have this obsession for good sounding, lightweight amps. Must have something to do with my age. My Fender Twin days are so over ...

I may get a used Cube 30 for rehearsals. They are dirt cheap.

I never played a DV Mark 12 jazz. Looks promising too.

DB

User Info Menu

Hey DB, have you tried any of Gitterbug's TOOB speakers?

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Hey DB, have you tried any of Gitterbug's TOOB speakers?
    No, never heard of them. What are they?

DB

User Info Menu

This sounds great....it sounds like "you."

The cubes were well done little modelers. I had a 60, i left it at the studio where I used to teach...its understood I can come get it whenever, but the other teachers there are still using it, so I figure why not let it get played?

User Info Menu

I agree with other comments, DB - I always love your sound. Whenever I listen to a recording highlighting a guitar and/or amp, though, I'm always curious about the other contributions to tone. What are you using for picks and strings here?