The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 75

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    This is why ‘player grade’ is a thing....
    Absolutely! I only have player grade stuff, I don’t care for collector grade... or more precisely, I don’t care for collector grade prices ;-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Violinists "gig" with some of the most valuable irreplaceable instruments in the world. They're meant to be heard. Just playing devil's adv.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Violinists "gig" with some of the most valuable irreplaceable instruments in the world. They're meant to be heard. Just playing devil's adv.
    Very true of course! I wonder if violinists are as obsessed with keeping the instrument “all original”. I tend to think they see there instruments much more as tools and have repairs, replacement of worn parts and maintenance done according to the need of the instrument.

User Info Menu

Not a lot drunk bar patrons at their gigs though!!!

I am also in the "play it live" camp. Especially on jazz or more reserved gig environments. Rowdy country bar? Probably not. The only other thing is keeping it serviced for reliability sake. I typically bring a cheap backup amp, especially with vintage ones, that stays in the car.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Very true of course! I wonder if violinists are as obsessed with keeping the instrument “all original”. I tend to think they see there instruments much more as tools and have repairs, replacement of worn parts and maintenance done according to the need of the instrument.
    As I understand it, the only REALLY important part for originality with a violin is the body. Bridges, tailpieces, fingerboards, even the entire neck are expected to be replaced at some point.

Didn't expect this much feedback, thank you. I am going to gig with the BFVR AND buy a much less expensive reissue Deluxe for the potentially "rowdy" gigs. Probably just justifying a new purchase to myself. Then I can use BOTH!

thanks again,

Charlie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2
    Not a lot drunk bar patrons at their gigs though!!!
    They also don't set them on the floor, and between sets they take them with them as if they were their babies.

Apples and oranges.

User Info Menu

Actually, I am not so much afraid of damaging the amp or instrument on stage or during transport but more for theft.

I do have (much) less expensive instruments and amps I can use for occasions where we have no other choice then to leave the instruments unattended, which can be the case at festivals, or when I don’t handle transportation myself, or on (rare) occasions when we are asked to build up the day before and leave equipment overnight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GTRMan
    They also don't set them on the floor, and between sets they take them with them as if they were their babies.
    Although sometimes they leave them in taxis :-o

Most Amati and Stravarius violins are not owned by the musician btw but by another party; a wealthy individual or foundation, and then loaned to the musician.

Which kind of makes it scarier!

User Info Menu

But even a typical professional cello or violin costs much more than most of us would pay for a fine archtop guitar, even a vintage one.

As violinist friend puts it, buying a violin is like buying a house. Guitarists otoh can afford to be collectors!

User Info Menu

Another big difference is the violinist’s audience is quiet, respectful of the musicians, and listening intently.
    And a jazz audience, well especially in the States is trying to talk over you playing, the bar/kitchen noise, cruddy acoustics.
    So. IMHO I get a kick out of people concerned about their pristine jazz guitar sound out at a gig. Ain’t happening, so play what makes YOU play your best!
    Full disclosure I always gigged with my L5 and Walter Woods amp)))

Tal used to love playing in the UK and Ireland and Sweden as I recall, as the Audiences actually listened. Course that was in the 80’s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Absolutely! I only have player grade stuff, I don’t care for collector grade... or more precisely, I don’t care for collector grade prices ;-)
    When I bought my stuff it was "player grade". Years later they are now "collector grade".

To me they are still player grade.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    But even a typical professional cello or violin costs much more than most of us would pay for a fine archtop guitar, even a vintage one.

As violinist friend puts it, buying a violin is like buying a house. Guitarists otoh can afford to be collectors!
    Many good bows cost more than most would pay for a fine archtop!

User Info Menu

True true. Daughters viola bow was 3000 and that was a reasonably priced one.

User Info Menu

A premier French made bow can go well into six figures.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    A premier French made bow can go well into six figures.
    it would be cheaper to get a horse to rub his ass on it

User Info Menu

So can horses (go into six figures)

User Info Menu

Re: violins--

The headstock is worth a fortune, too. I did a gig once where the concertmaster of the New York Philharmonic and another classical musician, virtuoso viola artist Toby Appel were there. Each fellow asked me if they could stash their "fiddles" behind my amp. First thing you know, I had a Stradivarius violin and a Guarnerius viola leaning on my Polytone Baby Brute. Yikes!

I asked what each was worth. I was told by the violin player that the headstock from Appel's viola was worth $125,000 then (25 years ago). Oh, they _do_ leave them on the floor.

User Info Menu

Stradivarius instruments accidentally left behind!

Three extraordinary stories of Stradivarius instruments being left in taxis and... - Classic FM

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    it would be cheaper to get a horse to rub his ass on it

User Info Menu

My wife's most recent concert violin. Kinda nicked up and worn around the edges. We spent about 3 hours trying out several at the shop near the Eastman School. She played them all, we listened both close up and across the room, over and over, comparing, and picked this one. Never once paying attention to cosmetic wear. At her first rehearsal with it, others were coming up saying how great she sounded. Just sayin', priorities. (FWIW, a few of them that cost more, did not sound as good.)

Too nice to gig with?-violin-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    I'm a big fan of Studio-Slips for amp protection. They've kept my stuff really well maintained after years of gigging.
    Not in the same league, but Tuki covers are pretty nice for local gigging.

Amp and Speaker Covers & Bags - Fender - Page 1 - Tuki Covers

User Info Menu

I believe in "working/jobbing instruments" for live music unless the gig is 100% safe in all aspects(rare). The potential for damage is everywhere and when you're a guitarist, every goon in the world that can play three chords wants to get on the stage with YOUR guitar. I rarely have a problem on Classical gigs unless there is alcohol involved: wedding, private party, or wine bar and then I play my "working" guitar rather than my irreplaceable concert instruments. In over 50 years of performing, I have seen more tragedies with instruments than I would ever like to recall. Different strokes for different folks.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

I think if a violinist/cellist could get close to the sound they get at home with a cheap "player-grade" instrument, they would do it. With acoustic instruments like this of course the sound issue becomes an obsession.

I do gig with my ES-135, which is not a super-expensive instrument of course, but for the smoky cigar bar we used to play in I took my Peerless Sunset. And I'm sure I could get by in 98% of the situations we play in with my cheaper Tele or Godin 5th Avenue.

If I had a $3000 guitar or amp, I would not gig with it. I would buy a cheaper gigging rig. JMO.

User Info Menu

Really? Well I left my 175 in the pub once after a gig. It was still there thank god.

Find the sound you like. There’s no way I’m not playing my Gibson on gigs if that’s the sound I want for the gig. And none of my other guitars sound like it.