The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 75

User Info Menu

Prefacing this with the full understanding that I am incredibly lucky to own any of this equipment, and any further bickering is gratuitous, but here it is anyway.

A while back I picked up a '66 BF Vibrolux Reverb, which is amazing. I had to sell my "working" amp to get some cash for this purchase, and it was a great thing. I am very happy to own a great vintage amp. But now, I own this amp and my little practice/portable amp - a Roland Cube Street EX, which is also great for the bedroom, but not really for a gig aside from a little restaurant or something.

I'm lately getting the feeling that the BFVR is TOO NICE to take out to gig with- at a bar or something! If I had a reissue, or another amp that wasn't worth the same dough (north of 3Kish), I would not lose my mind in the same way, if it were to get dinged or something on a gig. So, in short, I am thinking about picking up a used DRRI to have as the "not collector's item" amp to gig with.

How insane am I, on a scale of 1-10, 10 just being bat shit. Is this logical?

thank you,

Charlie

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I used a minty '66 BFVR for yrs before switching to a BFTR.
    I have no problem bringing good vintage equipment to gigs.
    Play and enjoy imo.

User Info Menu

What good is owning "quality" equipment if you can't enjoy it.

On the rare occasion I get a Bass gig I have no problem playing my 64 jazz bass.

Life is too short to worry about these things.

User Info Menu

I never take my Twin Reverb from 1967 out of the house, so I am in agreement with you. Lately I have been trying to find something small and light, combo-wise, or just a head to go with my cab. In your case, take a look at the Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb...if they ever make a Tonemaster Princeton Reverb it will be mine immediately.

User Info Menu

9.5 crazy.

It's gear - unless you're a "collector, " it's meant to be played.

User Info Menu

None of those other amps listed can give you what a VR does unless you're micing it.

User Info Menu

The whole point of a vintage tube is its sound in performance (especially one on the larger end of the spectrum like a Vibrolux Reverb). Tube amps are robust and repairable (especially old ones). Tolex is meant to have beer spilled on it. The amp will be fine. The only reason not to use it is the schlep factor. Look at it another way -- horn players and upright bassists routinely bring instruments that cost several multiples of that amp and are much more delicate without giving it a thought.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Headshot
    I never take my Twin Reverb from 1967 out of the house, so I am in agreement with you.....
    I could barely lift mine, especially after I installed the Electrovoice SRO's. It had to weigh at least 80lbs., so it never left the house either after my back went to hell, until I sold it. Great amp though. Great on noisy bar room gigs. Crank it up, the baritone sax player had some serious competition!

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    I could barely lift mine, especially after I installed the Electrovoice SRO's. It had to weigh at least 80lbs., so it never left the house either after my back went to hell, until I sold it. Great amp though. Great on noisy bar room gigs. Crank it up, the baritone sax player had some serious competition!
    I had a 67 silver-face non-master-volume Twin Reverb with SRO's in it too! It weighed more than 80 pounds!

User Info Menu

Many of my performances as a pianist on a keyboard have been affected by the lack of sound quality and volume/sustain. Add the feeling of knowing the instruments are really special I think would benefit my performance.
    But if it’s too heavy to carry then it’s a no go for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Get a good TUKI padded amp cover and take your amp to the gig.

User Info Menu

I believe in gigging with good stuff. When we were doing jazz gigs, these were my main guitars. The L-5 is a 1940 and the Super 400CES is a 1969 (with a 1 3/4” nut believe it or not).

User Info Menu

The L-5 happens to be the one on the far right in the photo accompanying this article, btw.

User Info Menu

I don't take my Vibrolux Reverb out of the house, for one reason. It's too big and too heavy. I used it regularly, back about 30 years ago, but I was about 30 years younger back then, and I didn't know any better. Now, I can get the same sound, or close enough for bars, with a solid-state head and a cabinet, or even my DV Mark Little Jazz. I'm way beyond lugging 50+ pounds around, especially when it could blow a tube at any time. But if your VR really does it for you, and you're willing to accept the size, weight, and possibly doubtful reliability, go for it. It's just some wood, Tolex, and parts, not something to be worshiped. If you can't afford the financial loss, you probably should sell it and get something cheaper and more practical. But if you can afford it, have fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilpy
    Get a good TUKI padded amp cover and take your amp to the gig.
    Sound advice, I use them on my amps as well. You're highly unlikely to damage an amp using one as most damage occurs during load in/out. I'm very careful w/my stuff anyway but don't ask about the one time I was running late for a gig and set the VR down behind the car while I loaded the old L-5 into the backseat and forgot about the amp.
    (well since you asked, I backed over the amp and it got wedged under the rear bumper. But the Tuki did its job, only a couple minor nearly unnoticeable scuffs thanks to it )
    That was one incident in about 15 yrs of using the amp, just be careful and you'll be fine. These things are tools, and if you respect them as such they'll provide many yrs of service w minimal cosmetic wear.

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of Studio-Slips for amp protection. They've kept my stuff really well maintained after years of gigging.

I only stopped bringing my 1939 EH-185 to gigs regularly because I was getting a close enough sound from my much lighter Vintage '47 VA-185G. So practicality, not "too nice for the gig" was the only reason.

And as far as "too nice for the gig", unless you have a very specific concern about that gig (whether its the weather/climate, or some other specific reason to think damage is likely) I don't think there's a reason not to bring the good stuff.

User Info Menu

I always gigged with my best gear. I played a '64 Brownface Vibroverb for years. It had a good cover, and remained virtually mint. Ditto for my carefully-restored wide-panel tweed Deluxe, my '72 Plexi, and many others. My stage guitar was always my #1 - a mid-sixties ES-345 TDSV, followed by an '86 PRS CU24, and my ES-175 for jazz gigs. A back-up was always handy, but only used once when things were looking to get out of hand.

The trick is to be very careful in the handling of your valuable stuff. Amps had covers and were moved via hand-carts; riding in my vehicle on a minimum of six inches of foam rubber. As to guitars, no-one touched my guitars but me. The same was true of amps and every thing else. In no case could you hear me set anything down. I've seen equipment handled roughly too many times. Guys would come in carrying heavy amps and speaker boxes and slam them down on the floor with a bang just to display their manliness to the ladies. Juvenility in all its glory. And nothing stayed in the car overnight. Ever.

Take care of your tools, and they will keep working for you.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 11-11-2020 at 04:07 PM. Reason: tYp0

User Info Menu

I understand the dilemma.

It takes a lot of effort to get to the point where you can play well enough to even get a gig. And, it's your art, so you want to sound your best.
    Why go to all that effort and expense and then play through something that's less than optimal?

OTOH, that's one of the best amps ever. Even if it's not stolen or destroyed, you're putting wear and tear on it. But, that is what it's for.

It brings a story to mind. I was playing at a hotel in Oakland. Bad parking. So, I double park, load-in, ask a bandmate to watch my valuable guitar (a vintage L5S on that gig) like a hawk. Then, I go park and walk back to the gig. When I arrive, my gear is by itself in a hallway, not far from the front door and my bandmate (a good guy who is ordinarily fully reliable) is oblivious. The L5S was still there, fortunately.

After that, I revised my gigging gear so that I could do it in one trip, no double parking. Just unload the car and wheel it in. That required a gigbag on my back, a cart and a reasonably sized amp.

On balance, I'm with the poster who suggested protecting the amp as best you can - and using it.

User Info Menu

Umm...what's this "Gig" thing you folks are talking about??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler

[still too soon, Git, still too soon]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    I remember "gigs", maybe one day they will be back......hope springs eternal.

Here is my 2 cents:

1. Play the guitar and amp that inspires your playing. Instruments are tools to help us express ourselves musically. If you are after artwork, buy a painting or a vase.

2. Gigs are not a one size fits all situation. I bring my vintage D'Angelicos to nice indoor gigs where I am certain that I can look after the instrument. An outdoor gig where I may encounter some drunks is another story. I have a Les Paul Studio for those gigs.

User Info Menu

If it keeps you up at night, it's too nice to take gigging.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crhyner
    Prefacing this with the full understanding that I am incredibly lucky to own any of this equipment, and any further bickering is gratuitous, but here it is anyway.

A while back I picked up a '66 BF Vibrolux Reverb, which is amazing. I had to sell my "working" amp to get some cash for this purchase, and it was a great thing. I am very happy to own a great vintage amp. But now, I own this amp and my little practice/portable amp - a Roland Cube Street EX, which is also great for the bedroom, but not really for a gig aside from a little restaurant or something.

I'm lately getting the feeling that the BFVR is TOO NICE to take out to gig with- at a bar or something! If I had a reissue, or another amp that wasn't worth the same dough (north of 3Kish), I would not lose my mind in the same way, if it were to get dinged or something on a gig. So, in short, I am thinking about picking up a used DRRI to have as the "not collector's item" amp to gig with.

How insane am I, on a scale of 1-10, 10 just being bat shit. Is this logical?

thank you,

Charlie
    If you feel that way, just get a cheaper amp to gig with

User Info Menu

My 1950 Gibson ES-125 and my early 60ies Framus tube amp get gigged every week (before COVID anyway). They sound great, I want to have that sound wherever I play. No other equipment gives me this sound, so what’s the point of leaving them at home?

I have a nice softcase for the ES and a cover for the amp and I am careful. They don’t damage that much.
    Last edited by Little Jay; 11-13-2020 at 03:08 AM.

User Info Menu

This is why ‘player grade’ is a thing....