User Info Menu

hi Folks ,
    I’d like to hear everyone’s suggestions
    for good preamps we guitarists can use
    instead of an amp (ie. DI to the PA)

I’m using an ultra cheap Harley Benton
    American Sound at the moment
    which is ok
    but i’m asking to see if there are even better sounding/feeling options out there

ie. I’m looking for a nice clean sound that
    goes into a bit of hair or crunch when
    I dig in .... like a nice amp does

i don’t particularly need fx/reverb or fusion or metal distortion ....

for example this looks interesting
    with its miniature valve ,
    it’s also got a 50watt amp built in ,
    but can be used without a speaker
    as a preamp direct into a PA apparently

DV MARK | Products | DV MICRO 60 CMT Ciro Manna signature

so what are your favourites ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I don't buy into the "best of" posts, since that's too subjective. Jim Frenzel, however, makes great tube pre-amps (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy;[URL="tel:1074102"
    1074102[/URL]]I don't buy into the "best of" posts, since that's too subjective. Jim Frenzel, however, makes great tube pre-amps (IMO).
    sorry .... favourite guitar preamps ?

thanks for the recommendation ....

keep em coming

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy;[URL="tel:1074102"
    1074102[/URL]]I don't buy into the "best of" posts, since that's too subjective. Jim Frenzel, however, makes great tube pre-amps (IMO).
    sorry .... favourite guitar preamps ?

thanks for the recommendation ....

keep em coming

User Info Menu

There is a DI out on many amps. Quilter, for example, sounds quite nice when run this way and they make a pretty broad range of form factors. You can also run modelers like a Line 6 Helix or Strymon Iridium direct.

User Info Menu

My Line6 STomp is packed with top-notch preamp models, totally tweakable and at the same time it's small, quiet and programmable via my computer - that thingy into the FOH board and you are set.

User Info Menu

I use sansamp preamp pedals for years and like them a lot. From new ones, I was impressed with the Atomic pedals (for example the Ampli-Firebox), they do sound like a good amp.

Frankly I think the Harley Bentons get the job done fine though..

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    I use sansamp preamp pedals for years and like them a lot. From new ones, I was impressed with the Atomic pedals (for example the Ampli-Firebox), they do sound like a good amp.

Frankly I think the Harley Bentons get the job done fine though..
    Thanks all so far

and Alter
    i had a sansamp GT2 a long time ago but it
    didn't light my fire for some reason ....
    I couldn't get that 'clean to breakup when you dig in'
    thing going ....
    (thanks for the affirmation on the Harley Benton
    I can't believe it cost me £20)

still interested in different options folks ....

For reference of what I'm after ....

i saw Larry Carlton play all night with basically
    a Volume pedal into a Dumble head into a 2x12 cab

he didn't tweak that Dumble all night
    he got all his tones just from picking hard/soft
    and adjusting the Vol pedal

He had a fabulous sound all night
    OK I know it's a Dumble ... and I won't get that sound on the cheap

but I'm after something like that .... playabilty
    but in a pedal or small form factor amp

is this even possible ?

User Info Menu

Lots of Dumble-ish amps available :
    Ceriatone, Glaswerks, Red Plate, Bludotone, Two Rock, ....
    otoh I saw Robben Ford using a rented Twin with just his Zen Drive in front and he got his signature tone. Same with Mike Landau and a rented Fender Tweed (the black one). A Kemper amp will get you there or a Helix but you have to tweak these for a while. It’s possible ...

User Info Menu

I thought the DSM Humboldt Simplifier demos sounded great
    also the Iridium
    how about the polytone in a pedal that was being discussed here a while back? looks good

User Info Menu

I thought the DSM Humboldt Simplifier demos sounded great<br>also the Iridium&nbsp;<br>how about the polytone in a pedal that was being discussed here a while back? looks good

User Info Menu

Fair warning, I'm an artist/endorser, but let me recommend the Fender-style Sarno Classic SMS Classic Tube Preamp, Ultra pure vacuum tube reverb preamp l Sarno Music Solutions

I use mine with a Walter Woods and Kolbe cabs, but I'm sure it would perform well in a DI situation

PK

User Info Menu

I have used a Zoom MS100BT with good results although it takes a fair amount of tweaking the effects chains within the pedal.

And there are a lot of floor units that do a great job. One rock guy I talked to (and heard) just has that and goes straight to the PA; he has an empty shell of an amplifier behind him on stage with a flashlight light stuck in the pilot light for the image. Our own Joe D uses I think a Zoom or a Boss unit to record guitar sound for his videos and gets a great tone out of it.

The DutchBopper just runs into a ART microphone preamp and from there to his rig for his videos; also sounds great. If I wanted to go DI into the PA on a gig for jazz, in particular, I would seriously look at that option. Just plug straight into the preamp (or in my case into the reverb pedal then the preamp), run the XLR cable into the mixer, adjust your EQ using the mixer controls and you're done. Don't think about it the rest of the night.

User Info Menu

There's no shortage of preamp pedals out there. I love the Kinglsey Maiden D, which is based on the clean channel of a Dumble ODS.

Also, as the guys in That Pedal Show point out here, many pedals labeled as preamps simply aren't.

User Info Menu

A 'preamp' can be anything from a Grace Felix to a tube front end. Thing is, per what the OP is looking for, don't know of something that fully emulates a tortured vacuum tube when it comes to touch sensitivity at the edge of break up. Suppose modelers will get there but my Strymon Iridium doesn't do that the way my '81 Fender Concert does.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    A 'preamp' can be anything from a Grace Felix to a tube front end. Thing is, per what the OP is looking for, don't know of something that fully emulates a tortured vacuum tube when it comes to touch sensitivity at the edge of break up. Suppose modelers will get there but my Strymon Iridium doesn't do that the way my '81 Fender Concert does.

“touch sensitivity at the edge of breakup”
    well put Spook

yes ! thats what i would like
    can a pedal even do that yet folks ?

User Info Menu

My Junior Barnyard preamp does the "edge of breakup" sound remarkably well but it's a very much a 1940s/1950s type of breakup. Probably not what the OP is after.

User Info Menu

+they are huge, rare, expensive, heavy and difficult to power, but i have a pair of the blue overdrives and damn if they don't sound nice. you can swap the tubes to shape it further. i never use them these days, but they also make a hell of a bass preamp, too. but they are very warm and round, and can add drive and compression, so depending on what you plug them into, it could be a good or bad thing. it can easily be a good thing or too much of a good thing.

also have a two notes cab m+, which also doesn't get much use, but i suppose that would work with some pedals in front of it. takes some time to fiddle with, though. the app is highly recommended.

User Info Menu

Strymon has a new amp modeler available. Quilter makes a direct to d.i option for cheap. Tech 21 has all sorts of options like Sansamp , Character pedals,etc.
    Blackbird electronics, even Boss use to make a Deluxe Reverb pedal

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Strymon has a new amp modeler available. Quilter makes a direct to d.i option for cheap. Tech 21 has all sorts of options like Sansamp , Character pedals,etc.
    Blackbird electronics, even Boss use to make a Deluxe Reverb pedal
    looks likes the Quilter Phantom Block might do what I want ....

and is small and cheap
    anyone tried one of those and can
    tell me if it does ‘touch sensitivity at the edge of breakup’ (tm) ?

User Info Menu

IMO, Kingsley Maiden is the best and it's not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by MAJackson
    There's no shortage of preamp pedals out there. I love the Kinglsey Maiden D, which is based on the clean channel of a Dumble ODS.

Also, as the guys in That Pedal Show point out here, many pedals labeled as preamps simply aren't.

User Info Menu

Brad Sarno's newest preamp, the V8 is really good if you have to go direct. I've had both the Revelation and the V8 and i can definitely say that the V8 sounds more like a whole amp when going direct (it's also much smaller). You won't be able to drive the front end at all, but it would give you something great to build on.
    https://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/products/V8G.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brettlanier
    Brad Sarno's newest preamp, the V8 is really good if you have to go direct. I've had both the Revelation and the V8 and i can definitely say that the V8 sounds more like a whole amp when going direct (it's also much smaller). You won't be able to drive the front end at all, but it would give you something great to build on.
    V8 Octal Preamp, Supreme tone machine, circuit minimalism l Sarno Music Solutions
    his stuff is great. I still think the kingsley maiden at $425 is the best way to go unless you are looking for a modeler.