Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 46 of 46
    Also looking at the vox
    MV50 Boutique - Vox Amps

and using the speaker emulated headphone/line out jack
    to feed the PA direct ....

So many ways to do the Pre-amp As DI thing
    i think I'm well down the rabbit hole now ....
    I probably should stop looking now and do some playing !

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    IMO, Kingsley Maiden is the best and it's not even close.
    Agreed. Plus Simon is a great guy to deal with. Incredibly knowledgeable and happy to answer any questions.

User Info Menu

So we're talking about different solutions to the same problem. I would imagine the Maiden is wonderful solution since it's an actual preamp out of his designed amplifier.
    But sometimes in the studio situation different things work better or worse, depending on your engineering abilities and other plug ins or tone shaping tools you have available.

I used own a real Dumble and while it was a great amp. I was able to get as good of tone with the Sansamp rackmount and other eq, tube pres and a marvelous recording engineer.

User Info Menu

While the Kingsley stuff is great, because of that YouTube Pedal show you'll wait on your Kingsley pedal forever… The wait list on amps is 4 years currently, for the pedals a bit less but still… If you're lucky, you can find them on Reverb (with a nice gear availability bonus fee for the seller of course).

Unfortunately, not many builders have caught up to this type of compact high voltage tube pedal yet (The Kingsley pedals are made well and sound great, but no magic here— F style circuitry with a charge pump to get the proper high voltage).

At this point, a midrange modeller is probably better in terms of sound/convenience/flexibility/price if you need to go direct than any dedicated 'preamp'

User Info Menu

Pearce G2x.

Best Guitar Preamp-pearce-g2x-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thpm
    While the Kingsley stuff is great, because of that YouTube Pedal show you'll wait on your Kingsley pedal forever… The wait list on amps is 4 years currently, for the pedals a bit less but still… If you're lucky, you can find them on Reverb (with a nice gear availability bonus fee for the seller of course).

Unfortunately, not many builders have caught up to this type of compact high voltage tube pedal yet (The Kingsley pedals are made well and sound great, but no magic here— F style circuitry with a charge pump to get the proper high voltage).

At this point, a midrange modeller is probably better in terms of sound/convenience/flexibility/price if you need to go direct than any dedicated 'preamp'
    The OP said he's after "touch sensitivity at the edge of breakup" and wants to sound as close as possible to a Dumble. A mid-range modeller won't get him there. Actual tubes still do that better.

I ordered two pedals from Simon at Kingsley at the end of April and they're ready to ship. So just a bit more than a 6 month wait. Well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by MAJackson;[URL="[URL
    tel:1075869[/URL]"]1075869[/URL]]The OP said he's after "touch sensitivity at the edge of breakup" and wants to sound as close as possible to a Dumble. A mid-range modeller won't get him there. Actual tubes still do that better.
    yes that’s what i want from a pedal/preamp i fully accept that
    it won’t sound like a Dumble (and that’s ok)

i’m just enquiring if this is even possible
    in people’s experience ?
    ————
    to MAJackson
    so are you saying that ’touch sensitivity
    at the edge of breakup’ needs valves ?

and that they can be pre-amp valves like the 12ax7
    but they should be running at proper high voltage as they would be in a
    Tube amp ....

i think that quite a few valve pedal designs use a 12ax7
    but run it at a low voltage (around 12volts or so)

can those designs achieve good
    ‘TSATEOB’. in your opinion ?

User Info Menu

I'm saying that the Maiden is, in my opinion, the best preamp pedal out there. It sounds better than any modeller, and I've tried a bunch of modellers. It can make any solid state amp sound like a tube amp, and a good quality tube amp at that. I've been using it with a Milkman The Amp and the two make for a great grab and go rig.

Quote Originally Posted by MAJackson;[URL="tel:1075884"
    1075884[/URL]]I'm saying that the Maiden is, in my opinion, the best preamp pedal out there. It sounds better than any modeller, and I've tried a bunch of modellers. It can make any solid state amp sound like a tube amp, and a good quality tube amp at that. I've been using it with a Milkman The Amp and the two make for a great grab and go rig.
    gotcha ....

i see that that both the Maiden and the
    Milkman run their pre-amp valves at high
    voltages ....

many thanks

User Info Menu

the milkman products are VERY expensive. their preamp is $300 more than the kingsley

User Info Menu

TBF The Milkman has other features including power amp, reverb and tremolo

man they’re all expensive to me !
    i wondering if any cheap , high voltage
    pre-amps will turn up
    thinks ....
    or maybe i could re-purpose an
    ultra-low wattage valve amp head
    i believe you can get like
    1 watt tube amps these days ....

User Info Menu

Just an idea: Fender MTG Tremolo Pedal.

You can skip the tremolo & use it at unity ( 9 o'clock) or beyond that as boost.

Uses a tube. Buy it & try it, send back if it ain't right.

Besides, the Jazz Police are not alert to tremolo; they don't know what it is.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Bloody love my ART tube preamp as well. Sounds amazing through any amp, and dutchbopper uses it DI.

thanks , yes they sound great
    for cleans ....

does it it do any touch sensitivity
    on the edge of breakup ?

not high voltage tho
    im wondering if i need High voltage
    to get that

blackstar do an interesting
    high voltage tube preamp

https://blackstaramps.com/uk/products/ht-dual

more dough though

User Info Menu

The Fender MTG's use an internal "switch mode" power supply to translate 9v D.C. to 150V.

Probably right for the particular tube they're using.

wow this is great
    I think the Quilter sounds best to me

really useful videos
    thanks all

User Info Menu

Last Week I bought the "Super Black" pedal from "Mad Professor". I connected it to the "Power Amp in" of my Fender Blues-Deluxe Reissue, and it sounds great to me.
    Super Black is vintage blackface tone in a box by Mad Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    IMO, Kingsley Maiden is the best and it's not even close.
    The Constable is another great preamp pedal from Kingsley. I own one. It's fantastic.