The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

I am really enjoying the ergonomics of the offset, beveled body of these guitars. So much
    so I traded a very fine sounding American Mustang Special for another Jazzmaster this
    week. I had three for a few moments: the Squier Classic Vibe, an American Professional
    and a used Vintera Modified. I returned the America Pro. The Squier continues to be my favorite
    all around, but I find I do like the "hotter" pickups on the Vintera.

I've shimmed the necks and dialed in a very fast action on each with 11 gauge strings.

Lawson started it (offset content)-img_20201106_085653-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I was really tempted by an Original 60's, then the Ultra when it came out- but then pulled the trigger on a 2011 Classic Player.
    It's very comfortable sitting on the couch, when the house is asleep I play through a microCube with headphones.

User Info Menu

Give that doggie a treat!

User Info Menu

I can stop anytime I want to, I just don't want to.

As when I discovered the existence of the Telecaster a year or so ago, I went through several before deciding what I liked. So it goes now with the Jazzmaster.

This competition this weekend was the Squier Mascis. It arrived on Saturday and went back today.

So far, the Classic Vibe remains victorious over Mascis, American Pro, Vintera Modified and Troy van SomethingOrOther. I guess it's time to remove the sticker on the pickguard. I'll check out and American Pro II when it arrives at the shop in December.

Lawson started it (offset content)-img_20201108_1558532-jpg

User Info Menu

This is a demo of the two "systems" on the Jazzmaster using the standard "Darn That Dream" which we're working on in the Practical Standards study group.

User Info Menu

what didn't you like about the mascis?

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    what didn't you like about the mascis?
    I cared not for the neck shape nor the frets. No problem with the sound though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    I cared not for the neck shape nor the frets. No problem with the sound though.
    ok was just wondering...tho the neck is usually one of it's selling points!..very well done for a squier...

but yes there are some differences from a true jm...the frets, the pickups (they are p90 ish with bar magnets), the tuneamatic bridge...and the trem is positioned closer to the bridge

mascis sort of took the troublesome, but unique to its sound, properties out from the original design

the very first issue squier vintage modified jm from around 2012 is the best of them all to me...duncan designed pickups and very close to og fender spec

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    ok was just wondering...tho the neck is usually one of it's selling points!..very well done for a squier...
    I'm not a Jazzmaster purist in any sense, but I know what works for me. In my opinion, the neck
    and playability of the Classic Vibe is superior to the other variations I've tried.

Actually, the American Pro playing experience was similar, but there was nothing else about the
    guitar that inclined me to pay 4x the price of the Squier. Looking forward to giving the Pro II a spin
    when it arrives!

I'll be on the lookout for a Vintage Modified too. So many used guitars pass through my local shop.

User Info Menu

I am a big fan of modern C shape and C shape neck from Fender. I have telecaster (mexican standard from 2016) and the neck is lovely.
    I tried last year the jazzmaster player and it is fine instrument. I would have one for sure. BUT i am not sure if i would have one jazzmaster before a tele thinline with wide range hb's.