The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey all - I play a Carvin SH550 semi hollow and I’ve been toying with the idea of swapping the pickups. Don’t use the bridge so I’d like to save money and just swap the neck.

the stock pickups are pretty medium output, significantly quieter guitar than my Gibson semi hollow. Not sure what people
    have had success with in their semis. I’ve seen a lot of people really enjoy the Tone Specific humbuckers, but they’re super pricey and only come in sets. Worth it? Alternatives?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Original Classic '57 are good for my Gibson ES 339.
    If you look for cheap, you can even find some used, and sell them (it) soon if you don't like it (them)
    There should e a Reason why you find these pick-ups on so many Gibson

User Info Menu

The Dimarzio 36th Anniversary has been my go to pickup since it first came out about 10 or 12 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    Original Classic '57 are good for my Gibson ES 339.
    If you look for cheap, you can even find some used, and sell them (it) soon if you don't like it (them)
    There should e a Reason why you find these pick-ups on so many Gibson
    Actually, I currently own a Epiphone Es-175 premium that has 57s in it. Are the 57s they put in the neck any different from the ones in the bridge? I never use the bridge one!

User Info Menu

I replaced neck positions Ibanez Super 58s with Lindy Fralin Modern PAFs.
    And am ever glad I did. Rich depth of tone, high strings are silky, I love ‘em.
    one on a PM200 which is all maple and has brought the tone in line not freaky thin.
    One on an AF200 (Which is thin but not as thin as a 335 I’ve. Noticed also a widening of the tone palette which that guitar needed.
    This after trying the DiMarzio 36 and Benedetto A6.

User Info Menu

On the cheaper side the Seymour Duncan Jazz neck is a great choice, plus it 4 conductor wire. So you have several tones available.
    My personal choice is Manluis Pickups Landmark PAF neck regular wind, and his. Hot Rod PAF bridge combination.

User Info Menu

Choosing a pickup is pretty much the most difficult thing when it comes to 'upgrading' a guitar. Especially if you don't do it yourself.
    I used a number of pu's that were mentioned in this thread: the ibanez i use right now holds a gibson '57. I guess it is great, but it is hard to tell. I haven't got a clue how it would sound like with the one from ibanez. I used the 58 from ibanez years ago. In a different guitar, so it's impossible to say something about besides: i liked it then. I also used the SD jazz in a PRS. This is the only guitar that i had it swapped myself, so you'd imagine that i could say something about the original PU and the jazz, but i can't. You never get a chance to compare them back to back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MHoranzy
    Actually, I currently own a Epiphone Es-175 premium that has 57s in it. Are the 57s they put in the neck any different from the ones in the bridge? I never use the bridge one!
    Don't know for other guitars, but for mine, there are the same pick-ups in neck and bridge positions
    I sometimes use bridge PU combined with neck PU, never alone
    I've seen '57+ (or something like that) for bridge position, but never tried it.