The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

This is my first archtop. Really loving it after a few days. I’m a convert to Eastman, this won’t be my last! Seth Lover pickup, solid top, nitro, hardcase. Great value even although the price of these has come up a bit. I originally set out looking for one in sunburst but I think the classic varnish looks great on this style, particularly with the ebony tailpiece. Almost orchestral!

Also...a technical question if I may...what do you guys use to lubricate ebony archtop bridge slots? I use Nut Sauce on all my solid bodies/metal saddles. Is that ok on ebony or is there something safer?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can't answer your question but want to congratulate on a guitar which probably makes more sense than anything else out there. Don't have one (yet) and possibly won't, being 74 soon and gigging less and less due to circumstances. But if there's one more archtop to come, this would be it!

User Info Menu

It's a beauty you got here ! What figuring on that wood
    I have the sunburst version and I'm more than happy with it.
    For strings lubrication against nut and bridge I use pencil graphite in the grooves every time I change strings
    Cheap, easy and efficient.
    Enjoy your new guitar !

User Info Menu

Lovely instrument! Play it with great joy!

It looks like the little brother of my Eastman AR610 CES mahogany. Not my first choice in finish either, but probably the best sounding instrument I have ever played.

User Info Menu

I have one, doesn't look as elegant as yours. Maybe I should be using some lube?
    Attached Images Attached Images Eastman AR503CE (and bridge question)-eastman-jpg 

User Info Menu

IMO there is no need for any lube at all with an ebony or rosewood bridge. Both are oily species, and there is enough natural lube without needing more. You'll just ruin the wood. Nutsauce might be okay for nuts, but I wouldn't consider it for a wooden bridge.

User Info Menu

Given the bridge is almost black I use graphite, using 2B or softer (4B) pencil, and simply draw.

Although I do not see the importance lubing tbe bridge, I am not bending too much (once in every 10 years, average) My lube problem is the nut, especially the G string. There I use a drop of oil (what comes with my Braun electric razor) shame on me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I have one, doesn't look as elegant as yours. Maybe I should be using some lube?
    Thats really beautiful and IMO the perfect finish. I don’t think your particular shade of sunburst is currently available, just the very dark/ vintage burst option.

I have a tobacco burst Les Paul and a 3ts Strat so part of my reasoning was getting something a bit different from the rest. Also, I’ll more than likely get a dark burst 335 or 175 style guitar in the future!

Thanks for all the advice. Think I’ll try some pencil graphite when I switch over to flat wounds soon. Agree that regular “wet” lubricant on wood seems like a bad idea.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Humbuckr
    Thats really beautiful and IMO the perfect finish. I don’t think your particular shade of sunburst is currently available, just the very dark/ vintage burst option.
    They called that color "Iced Tea Burst". I think it's around a 2008.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    They called that color "Iced Tea Burst". I think it's around a 2008.
    One of the nicest finishes around that, I’m a bit jealous! A quick google suggests they don’t use it frequently right now, I can only see it in the Romeo in current production.

User Info Menu

Pencil graphite can't hurt anything probably, but I'm not sure you really need anything at the bridge. Unlike a bone nut or metal saddle, a wooden saddle slot will kind of naturally burnish to a smooth finish with use.

User Info Menu

I have an Eastman as well and it sounds great, and is very light weight!

User Info Menu

Wee update after several weeks ownership.

Still delighted with this beautiful guitar.

Interestingly, it’s the most sensitive guitar to tweaks in setup, string type, pickup height and amp settings I’ve ever owned. Probably a lot to do with the fact I’m used to masking my solid body guitar tone with overdrive!

Wasn’t a huge fan of chromes with it. Quite scooped and overly bright. I had the treble and bass on my DRRI down all the way to dial that out but it was still too bright. Currently trialing Jazz bepops (12) which are much better. A more balanced EQ but still allowing the guitars acoustic voice through. I can set the DRRI tone controls closer to the usual range, with treble 3, bass 4.5.

My only gripe is the tone pot which isn’t very linear. There’s a sudden step off around 4 on the pot that gets me where I want without the mids being overly nasal, for want of a better word. Seems more responsive with the bepop strings though.

The neck profile is fantastic. Very playable and more refined than an Ibanez AKJV I recently moved on.

Seriously considering an AR372CE to complement this. If anyone has tried both I’d be interested to hear whether the tonal differences are enough to make owning both worthwhile.

User Info Menu

That is a beauty! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Humbuckr
    Wee update after several weeks ownership.

Still delighted with this beautiful guitar.

Interestingly, it’s the most sensitive guitar to tweaks in setup, string type, pickup height and amp settings I’ve ever owned. Probably a lot to do with the fact I’m used to masking my solid body guitar tone with overdrive!

Wasn’t a huge fan of chromes with it. Quite scooped and overly bright. I had the treble and bass on my DRRI down all the way to dial that out but it was still too bright. Currently trialing Jazz bepops (12) which are much better. A more balanced EQ but still allowing the guitars acoustic voice through. I can set the DRRI tone controls closer to the usual range, with treble 3, bass 4.5.

My only gripe is the tone pot which isn’t very linear. There’s a sudden step off around 4 on the pot that gets me where I want without the mids being overly nasal, for want of a better word. Seems more responsive with the bepop strings though.

The neck profile is fantastic. Very playable and more refined than an Ibanez AKJV I recently moved on.

Seriously considering an AR372CE to complement this. If anyone has tried both I’d be interested to hear whether the tonal differences are enough to make owning both worthwhile.
    I own one just like yours. I also found it to be very bright, and was rolling the tone right down. What fixed this for me was the Tech 21 QStrip parametric EQ pedal. Total game changer. Am able to dial in a smooth jazz tone. It's a bit pricier for an EQ pedal but man is it worth it.