The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

TI Bebops should fit the bill

Jazz Bebop Jazz Guitar | Guitar Strings | Products | Thomastik-Infeld Vienna

not cheap but very, very good

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Actually, the "dandruff" (LOL) of which you speak was the reason I gave up on the POLYwebs. Some time later I read comments on the Nanos suffering far less from this problem and gave them a go. Couple of years later, they're still my strings of choice.
    Me too: Elixir Nanoweb 12-52s on my Eastman AR403ce.

(I use 80-20 Nanoweb 12-53s on my flattop acoustics; I use D'Addario NYXL 11-50s (round-wound, plain 3rd) on my semi-hollow.)

*String Dandruff: The Polyweb strings have a thicker Teflon coating which starts to fray after a while and can be quite annoying. I have not experienced this with the Nanoweb strings.

User Info Menu

I have tried 1/2 wounds and found that the noise reduction over rounds in minimal and they feel a bit weird.
    I use Daddario Pure Nickels. They have a better feel than regular nickel plated and I like the tone.
    I just work on left hand technique for mitigating string noise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    I have tried 1/2 wounds and found that the noise reduction over rounds in minimal and they feel a bit weird.
    I use Daddario Pure Nickels. They have a better feel than regular nickel plated and I like the tone.
    I just work on left hand technique for mitigating string noise.
    That's reassuring -- I thought I was alone in my disappointment over 1/2 wounds. Then again, I tried the heaviest set, the 13 gauge, so that might have something to do with it. Perhaps lighter gauges are not so bumpy, I don't know.

User Info Menu

i’ve been using and loving
    TI jazz swing 13s till now

but i now my band playing some
    more 80s and 90s pop songs
    and need to do the rock n roll bend up
    a tone on the G string thing

i still want flats tho as some/ most
    of the material is still straight ahead jazz

i don’t want to bring two guitars

should i just change the G string to
    a plain G ?

anyone else do this ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I have been using SIT strings lately and really liking them on all of my guitars. These are nickel plated rather than nickel, but I find having a little bit brighter wound strings makes it easier to balance the tone with the plain strings. These are really inexpensive strings but the quality seems to be excellent and they last a long time. This set comes with both a plain and wound G string. I usually use the latter, but sometimes having the plain G gives a little bit more of a classical guitar feel (with having three wound and three plain strings) and does significantly reduce string noise when playing; I think I must drag finger on the G string when moving up and down the neck.

SIT S1150 Power Wound Nickel Electric Guitar Strings 11-50

I tried their "Silencer" strings and found them to have much more string noise than their usual ones!

SIT SL1150 Silencer Semi-Flat Med Light Electric Guitar Strings 11-50

I have not tried the SIT flat wounds, but I am not an FW guy it seems. Every so often I give them a try but they don't seem to stay on the instrument for very long, even TIs. Maybe it's because I almost always play acoustically around the house and FWs seem to sound better plugged in than acoustically. I think a good flat wound may be more difficult to manufacture.

SIT F1150 Flatwound Electric Guitar Strings, Light 11-50
    Plus one for Stay in Tunes, because they really do. Great feeling, long lasting, don't coast an arm and a leg; just really good strings!

User Info Menu

I have tried alot of different types of strings buy alot of different manufacturers. Most of the coated strings had a duller sound, A pure nickel has a very good sound Pyramid makes very good flat wound ones. Half rounds are good and have a sound between round and flat but getting a set with a wound G that is not heavy gage is hard. You could try doing something that was done buy the old jazz players before Flats and that was to take your set of round wounds and use some sand paper wrapped around the string and sand them down like a half rounds. One more thing I dont know of any maker that the B and E string are not steel.