The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Bought a guitar online from a shop in a neighboring state on the 22nd. USPS tracking said I would get it on the 26th. On the 25th it showed that it had gone from the shop to a "distribution center" in the neighboring state, and that it was "currently in transit to the next facility." Since then, nothing. Dropped by the local post office this morning to see if I could learn more; they could not tell me anything.

I have shipped and received dozens of guitars in the past, but can't recall this happening before. I can't say that I have a lot of experience with USPS. I suppose I should just shut up and keep waiting, but it makes me concerned about how the guitar is being treated.

Oh well.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I would say chillax and be thankful it's not the dead of winter or the hot days of summer. In my experience, USPS is generally slow but they get the job done.

User Info Menu

I frequently buy smaller items from Ebay whose dealers usually seem to prefer using USPS......

The most common headscratcher is a quickly entered and verified tracking number, which I believe can be / is issued by the seller.

Then it goes somewhere or doesn't and all the tracking stops, or seems to stop......

Then several days later I'll see two maybe three tracking entries all lumped together.....Then it'll be ' on a truck, then ' out for delivery ', then 'delivered' all within minutes of each other ?? And I've had items delivered which never had any other tracking info but the first initial entry of the tracking number, despite having crossed two states...And if there's an Amazon part of the delivery that's another ' if '.......

So yes please try to be patient and accept just how they operate....and best of luck !!

User Info Menu

I’ve been waiting on a case coming USPS since the 15th. It took 11 days for it to go from St. Louis to Memphis and since then no change in tracking. When I bought my ‘68 GJS a few years ago, it sat in a post office In Philadelphia for two weeks before even starting to move. On the other hand, I’ve had guitars travel via USPS from California to South Carolina in two days. USPS can be faster or slower than anyone else. It’s a total crap shoot. It has, however, been worse of late.

User Info Menu

"When I bought my ‘68 GJS a few years ago, it sat in a post office In Philadelphia for two weeks before even starting to move. "

If he woulda just sold it to me when I went to see it you wouldn't have had to worry about it.

User Info Menu

A buddy of mine went to work for the USPS in an office in Georgia, after retiring from a different job.

He told they had many pieces of priority and express mail that went unscanned and nobody cared. They eventually pulled a janitor over to scan the packages and he only scanned a few before giving up. My buddy was appalled and only lasted a month there.

Hopefully, this is not an indication of how other USPS branches do business.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "When I bought my ‘68 GJS a few years ago, it sat in a post office In Philadelphia for two weeks before even starting to move. "

If he woulda just sold it to me when I went to see it you wouldn't have had to worry about it.
    It was worth the wait!

User Info Menu

It’s the season for prioritizing voters ballots. Not packages. I can live with packages being delayed. We only vote once every 4 years so ballots should be the priority for usps.

User Info Menu

Great. Maybe its in the dumpster where they throw the ballots.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals

User Info Menu

Dumpster for ballots? That would be illegal. The mail had no problem delivering all of that election and junk mail yesterday. So let’s hope they’re doing the right thing with ballots.

User Info Menu

I've had quite a few hangups at the post office. Spoke with one of the agents that said off the record that mail was purposefully being held up and it was politically motivated. Goes to a main sorting center and sits. Considered a Federal Crime, but the good news is the stuff definitely isn't lost. Give them a call or write them a message through the site, as long as the tracking number works they can get it moving. Good luck it will show up eventually.
    Last edited by skiboyny; 10-29-2020 at 07:36 PM.

User Info Menu

All major carriers get it wrong sometimes. I'm still dealing with a crushed package by UPS from a little more than three months ago. They finally sent the check to me after much badgering. It arrived a couple of days ago but was made out to a building, not me. It took me hours, at least six, of repeated calls to get a reasonable hope of them reissuing the check to me. Anyone who ships a lot will have a bucket full of stories.

What really gets to me is that we pay to have something shipped then pay them extra for insurance in case they lose it or break it, in other words not doing their job. I wouldn't buy a concert ticket and pay extra for insurance in case the band doesn't show up or in case it's a mariachi band instead of Diana Krall.

User Info Menu

Every package and piece of mail goes to a distribution center, then to another distribution center. Just like the airlines use hubs, the USPS has major sorting centers near large cities, and all the mail from the post offices in the area go there for transport to the nearest distribution center to the destination post office. That has been the norm for many years. Mail does not go direct from Podunk, Iowa to Hicksville, NY. The latest Postmaster General has forced the removal of the automatic sorting machines in the distribution centers in an effort to prevent ballots from being delivered. That is real - hundreds of sorting machines have been removed across the country. So mail goes a little slower now. The USPS employees who do the work are not happy. The guitar should show up eventually, just be patient.

User Info Menu

All's well that ends well ...

my guitar is in USPS limbo-pxl_20201030_140600618-jpg

User Info Menu

All's well that ends well ...

my guitar is in USPS limbo-pxl_20201030_140600618-jpg
    Very nice - I like that model. It's hollow, right?

User Info Menu

Yes it's hollow. They recently introduced a (cheaper) chambered model, but this one is hollow.

User Info Menu

Looking forward to the juicy details of your NGD!

User Info Menu

one of these popped up on my local CL today
    1960 Guild T-100 DP - musical instruments - by owner - sale

User Info Menu

congrats on the guild aristocrat m-75...lovely guitar..surprised more jazzers aren't attracted to it

the great franz pickup repros are like a cleaner lower wind p-90

hollow, but has a small block to support bridge

enjoy

cheers

User Info Menu

It is one of these: M-75 Aristocrat in Antique Sunburst – Guild Guitars

This was actually the second one I bought this month. I had to return the first because of some issues not worth going into here. I paid about $700 for each of them.

It is a reissue of a 1950s Guild Aristocrat (the real ones go for 4-6K these days). Les Paul sized, but half the weight. Made in Korea, look and feel like expensive guitars. The pickups are made by the same folks who make the dearmond replicas, and are very faithful to the originals. A little bright for jazz, but that's fixed by rolling back the tone control. The neck specs have changed since they were introduced in 2014; bigger nut width and smaller radius now.

They have similar cheaper models that are chambered, not hollow, and are made in China. They are more like bluesbirds than aristocrats.

User Info Menu

How's the neck thickness, has that changed, too?
    I tried one right when the reissues first came out, loved everything except for the thin and narrow neck... Great to hear that they are wider now, but are they also thicker?

User Info Menu

Both of the ones I played (dated 2015 and 2019 per the sellers) seemed like comfortable C profiles to me. On the one I kept the nut is just a bit short of 1 11/16, and the string spacing is tighter than it needs to be (string spacing at the bridge on both is standard 2"). The frets are taller than I am used to, but playability is excellent.

All my recent guitars have been 25.5 scale, so this one feels like a Byrdland to me (in a good way). I plan to replace the nut and bump the string spacing a bit; there is plenty of room on the fingerboard. I am definitely keeping this guitar.

See also Guild Newark St. M75 Aristocrat | GAD's Ramblings