The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

I guess that if I had to choose between these two colours for a guitar, it would be blue every time. Anyway, you know what they say: too much orange causes self-centered and self-serving qualities, including pride, arrogance, and lack of care for others.

Maybe Gretsch would be the exception here.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Who says that about orange? Not me!

User Info Menu

Remember, Orange is the new black.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Who says that about orange? Not me!

User Info Menu

Funny, as non conservative as I am in my musical taste, im very conservative when it comes to guitar finishes...everything I own is natural or sunburst!

Well...except for my purple sparkle Danelectro. But most folks think its black.

User Info Menu

Weirdly, I see more blue guitars I don't like than ones I do. Guess the specific shade and hardware have a lot to do with it. Blue bursts never work and gold on blue almost never does either, but people keep trying it. But I'm all about sonic blue and other paler choices, and I love my extremely dark yamaha bb bass, but it reads black in most cases. A light black.

As for orange, as big a gretsch person as I am, I'm just not a fan. It's a very "live/ let live" color; doesn't bug me but it's not for me. However, those new 6120s that are aged (smoke?) are just beautiful. Faded vintage orange looks amazing in a unique way and I never would have guessed.

User Info Menu

I don't own an orange guitar, but I'd LOVE a Gretsch with that vintage orange finish. I think it's gorgeous.

As for blue, it runs the gamut: I've seen blues I adore, and blues that repulse me.

Also, a big +1 for sparkle finishes!

Being a jazz forum, I'd guess people here are more conservative/traditional when it comes to guitar finishes, but I say "let your freak flag fly" LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    Weirdly, I see more blue guitars I don't like than ones I do. Guess the specific shade and hardware have a lot to do with it. Blue bursts never work and gold on blue almost never does either, but people keep trying it. But I'm all about sonic blue and other paler choices, and I love my extremely dark yamaha bb bass, but it reads black in most cases. A light black.
    I like the extremes of blue, too. The new colour available with the new America Pro II -- "Night Sky" -- is damn sexy.

User Info Menu

There was a blue Eastman ER4 for sale in Europe
    The (short, very short) time to negociate budget allowance with in house authorities, it was gone !
    Oh shit !

User Info Menu

Cool guitar, Jeff. Really cool playing. Always enjoy your playing. I just bought a piano black Godin jazz. Certainly stands out. Doesn't match my sunburst and natural guitars but it's pretty cool

QUOTE=mr. beaumont;1071179]Funny, as non conservative as I am in my musical taste, im very conservative when it comes to guitar finishes...everything I own is natural or sunburst!

Well...except for my purple sparkle Danelectro. But most folks think its black.

[/QUOTE]

User Info Menu

I dunno guys, I always used to like the colour orange but of late I seem to have developed an acute case of sandarakinophobia, which is aversion to (or fear of) it.

Nice playing Jeff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I like the extremes of blue, too. The new colour available with the new America Pro II -- "Night Sky" -- is damn sexy.
    i might like van gogh a little more than the next guy but the jury is still out on this finish. i might like to see it with a different pickguard. always a sparkle fan, though.

here's what my bass looks like, with a random guy holding it. really like everything about it. lovely shade of blue offset by the cream appointments, but it looks black most of the time.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAlzPR-XYAARG02.jpg

User Info Menu

Blue or orange guitar?-ci2_8778-jpg

Blue or orange guitar?-ci2_8600-jpg

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    I dunno guys, I always used to like the colour orange but of late I seem to have developed an acute case of sandarakinophobia, which is aversion to (or fear of) it.

Nice playing Jeff.
    Thanks man!

As for that new Fender Night Sky tele...if $1500 fell out of the sky I'd have one tomorrow.

User Info Menu

brooklyn gretsch orange is nice

lennon on the nashville

cheers

User Info Menu

As one who had custom burnt orange leather seats installed into his car I’d have to disagree with the notion that blue tips the scales in a contest of color with everybody. Though I no longer own a sunburst, the walnut, ivory and blondes that I do have tilt more towards orange...except for the midnight blue satin Strat I had for a minute. In fact, I’d rather they were all iced-tea SB but I’m a sucker for a deal and when I’m reaching in my pocket I care more about sound and feel than color.