The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

I've been really digging my eastman carved top through the Genzler Acoustic Array Pro. Bright, clear, acoustic archtop tone. But definitely not everyone's taste.

Acoustic Array Pro - Genzler Amplification
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 10-28-2020 at 12:46 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use my Acoustic AG-30 for smaller gigs. I get a great warm sound; surprisingly jazzy and not really an acoustic tone. Reverb is very nice.

User Info Menu

This with a Fishman LoudBox Mini Anyone else using an "acoustic" full-range amp?-dsc_0018-b-2018_08_24-00_11_34-utc-jpg

Got rid of the Fender Deluxe years ago. Still have the Gibson ES175 but it stays in the case now that I have an Eastman.

User Info Menu

I have a PA and a Roland AC33 I occasionally plug into. It works. Could be better. Could be so, so, so much worse. I do prefer to fluff it up some with eqs or preamps, though. And my own effects. But still, not a bad choice.

User Info Menu

I've using a first edition AER/Lakewood Acousticube amp (about 25 years old now, going strong) off and on and while it sounds different
    from my Bud and Evans amps it's a good sound, absolutely useable - in combination with a single coil-equipped guitar (Armstrong/DeArmond) it's especially pleasing !

User Info Menu

The Fishman Artist is just a great all-around amp. It will do everything except distortion.

It’s my go-to amp for home playing as well as gigs.

User Info Menu

I’ve played my 175 through the Mesa Rosette 2x8. Very different than when playing through the ToneMaster Twin. I turn the tweeter off and get a not acoustic but airy sound. Pleasant but a little weird.
    Last edited by TedBPhx; 10-30-2020 at 12:33 PM.

User Info Menu

I've gone into music stores and played a lot of "acoustic" amps as sort of a hobby to see if any had a useful acoustic tone. Fishman, Roland, many Fender models and others.

One day in a store there was a really ratty used Fender PR370 (it looks like a little stack) and I was blown away. EQ out the wazoo, chorus, reverb, power (80wpc) and sound I just didn't believe. Add to that even a mic direct input made it a perfect small gig, house or recording amp.

Unfortunately it was long discontinued, but, I eventually found one, and over every other amp I have it would be the last to go and the first I'd replace if anything ever happened to it.

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    I've gone into music stores and played a lot of "acoustic" amps as sort of a hobby to see if any had a useful acoustic tone. Fishman, Roland, many Fender models and others.

One day in a store there was a really ratty used Fender PR370 (it looks like a little stack) and I was blown away. EQ out the wazoo, chorus, reverb, power (80wpc) and sound I just didn't believe. Add to that even a mic direct input made it a perfect small gig, house or recording amp.

Unfortunately it was long discontinued, but, I eventually found one, and over every other amp I have it would be the last to go and the first I'd replace if anything ever happened to it.
    Yeah, one of Fender's "Acoustasonic" series. At some point I had the "junior" version 2x8 combo. Fabulous sound. But they are a bit heavy. Great buys on the used market.

Fender Acoustasonic SFX PR370 | Dave's Guitar Shop | Reverb

Fender Acoustasonic Junior (Pre-Owned) | Bananas at Large(R) | Reverb

User Info Menu

Even my "normal" amps have full range speakers... I like some vintage acoustic approaches. An amp that was very inexpensive yet covers all the basses is my Randall RG120 115 Accordion. It has a 15" Eminence with a center outer cone structure that takes care of the full range while going from smooth mellow clean to very tube sounding grind with the ability to add one hair at a time to the war chest. So... it can cope with an acoustic or a solid body wanting to wail or gently weep.

The amps I really don't want to talk about were made by Barcus Berry while they had on board Bob Crooks of Standel fame. As a violin guy I always was puzzled by the challenge of getting that Jean Luc Ponty fat sound out of a transducer and learned a lot in the process. Years later when I played through one of these I realized how it was done but would never have learned so much about pre amps, eq and compression if I had one handy. I have a XL 8 that has about the biggest bottom since the Spinal Tap song regardless of size, the practice amp with the most range, it has a speaker like the Randall with the inner outer cone.... and controls that cover a wiiiide spectrum, not enough treble? keep turning the knob etc... These amps had great components, I fired up a 1720 covered with dust and filled with desiccated spider guts and it was..... warm, clear, lush.... Never mind, They are hard to find.

On the cheap and cheerful but warrantied to make you resolder every connection I give a honorable mention to the infinitely portable Crate Limo. I take them sailing because they make good dinghy anchors if they quit working.