User Info Menu

Just bought my first hollowbody electric. A Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin.

Wondering if there's a consensus on how high/low strings should set be at at the 12th fret? Strings on this are 12s.

Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You have to experiment a bit to see what feels good to you. 4/64" on the the treble side and 5/64" on the bass side is a good medium action and a great staring point. Action can go a little higher or lower, 1/64" or so in either direction, treble or bass. Some like 3/64" treble to 5/64" bass. Another trick is to set the action at a higher fret, like the 14th. 4/64" on the the treble side and 5/64" measured at the 14th fret will give an effectively lower action than the same measurements at the 12th fret.

Feel free to experiment. You won't break anything. One of the great things about archtops with thumbwheel bridges is they are easy to adjust. Just note that lower action, while easier to play, can make the notes buzz and choke, and you lose some tone. A high action has better volume and tone, but is more difficult to finger and can actually cause intonation problems.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by carvingcode
    Just bought my first hollowbody electric. A Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin.

Wondering if there's a consensus on how high/low strings should set be at at the 12th fret? Strings on this are 12s.

Thanks.
    Mine is 3/32" at the 12th. I tend to move it around a bit by feel, and don't usually measure, but just checked it and that's what it measured. It feels good at this height.

John