The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 59 of 59

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frank67
    I probably own a dozen compressors or more. I hate squishy (Ross or Boss) compressors but I like the ones that are subtle and add a bit of sparkle and sustain. The single best compressor, that IMHO hardly has any competition on the pedal market, is the Origin Effects Cali76. That is a seriously nice piece of equipment that is definitely pro level. David Gilmour probably likes compression more than most guitarists and his choice on the last tour was the Cali76. (I have no affiliation with the company or any other whatsoever, I am just convinced of that product)

The original Cali76 is massive in size and cost. Have you ever played the Compact Deluxe and how does it compare?

BTW, I think the sidechain on the Empress is one of the coolest pedalboard compressor features I've seen. There tends to be more energy in the low frequencies than in the high frequencies on a guitar, so without sidechain EQ, lower notes tend to trigger more squashing than you might want. I made a high-pass filter out of a jack and a capacitor and plugged it into the sidechain. The result is a much more natural compressing effect.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I only have the Cali76 Compact Deluxe - that is what I am basing my comments on. I have never played the original unit or any of the further stripped down versions.

Very cool idea that you had with the lower frequencies. That never occurred to me before.

Happy compressing everyone!

User Info Menu

For those of you who like transparent and subtle AND don’t want to spend a lot of money: trust me on this one, you can thank me later!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I’m looking for pedals that have two distinct compression options... I see Strymon Compadre (studio and squish) and Analogman Bicomp (Comprosser and Juicer)... anyone try those two and have a preference? Any other two in one compressors I’m missing?

JHS pulp n peel and “3” look good, as does Wampler Ego, but more interested in two in ones...

I have a Mooer yellow comp I like but looking to expand.

Anyone using a compressor pedal for jazz?-strymon-compadre-jpg

Anyone using a compressor pedal for jazz?-analogman-bi-compressor-png

User Info Menu

Keeley has a wide range of compressor options. Not the cheapest, but Bob Keeley is the authority on pedal compressors.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I play very soft, so when I pick harder I pass from a quiet "right in point" volume level to a too loud sound.

There is a pedal to put a limit to the maximum amount of sound ?

Example, lets say if I hit strings a medium power I get 30dba, if I hit harder I get 40dba. _____(Not exact dba numbers by any mean, just picked 30 and 40 as random numbers for the example).

A pedal to get 30dba as maximum amount of volume no matter how hard I hit the strings.

I know compressors are meant to pick light and get high volume, and equal volume in every note, and sustain, things I dont want by any mean. But also are for what I need ?
    Last edited by man-argentina; 11-07-2020 at 10:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by man-argentina
    I play very soft, so when I pick harder I pass from a quiet "right in point" volume level to a too loud sound.

There is a pedal to put a limit to the maximum amount of sound ?

Example, lets say if I hit strings a medium power I get 30dba, if I hit harder I get 40dba.

A pedal to get 30dba as maximum amount of volume no matter how hard I hit the strings.

I know compressor are to pick light and get high volumen, and equal volume in every note, and sustain, things I dont want by any mean. But also are for what I need ?
    A compressor is probably what you want. A light compression won't create equal volume for every note, and won't create sustain. A typical compressor has a 4 to 1 volume reduction at the threshold set. In your example, you'd set the threshold at 30db and you played at 40 db, the compressor would reduce the 10 db excess at a 4 to 1 ration so the volume in that case would end up being 32.5 db.

A ratio of infinity to 1 is called a brick wall limiter, that would keep your 40db at 30db. That will not give you as natural of a guitar sound as a compressor.

User Info Menu

In a DAW I’d use a limiter. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a pedal limiter but I understand a limiter is basically a type of compressor.