The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've seen players tuning down a minor 3rd, or to C, on a standard scale guitar with no apparent intonation probs. Tim Lerch does it on a Tele and I think Bob Fripp's bottom string is tuned to C, but there's no way my Strat is cooperating in my cello impersonation endeavours.

I tried a .062 gauge tuned to D or Db but ran out of saddle travel in attempts to intonate it. Just now I have a .056 on there and it just isn't stable at D, but fine at standard E (only because I checked). The nut slot is wide enough to accommodate the bigger string.

Maybe I should just give up and get back to playing in E standard and use the OC3 pedal for the low stuff.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Strings a manufactured to perform well at concert pitches. Off- label applications are chancy. That said, when I was using big gauges, I had a good deal of luck using compund-wound strings. I wasn't detuning, just using big strings. Have you tried TIs, or using short-scale bass strings?

User Info Menu

Right, so if a .052 performs well at E2, a (common or garden) .056/.062 should be ok at a considerably lower pitch, n'est-ce pas? I dunno, TI's are already low tension in standard E tuning, so things could get very floppy with those.

I'm going to recheck the nut slot, but that string is already rattling somewhat on the frets.

User Info Menu

On a regular Tele bridge you have a bit more travel to fine-tune the bass strings - your Strat bridge has maybe less ....

User Info Menu

The original Strat floating tremolo needs to be blocked off for more stable intonation set up. Not Leo's best design. G&L Legacy has a more supierror trem, IMHO.
    Have you pitched the trem to float at concert pitch, or was that done way back?
    Springs lose elasticity over time.

What to do is block the trem so it reveals 1/8" at the back.
    Stretch and tune up your strings, the bigger gauge might benefit with a faux mini hardwood wedge/saddle so you can intonate all strings.
    When everything is in relative tune (remember guitars don't intonate everywhere) screw in the trem spring claw until the wedge falls out.
    Hey presto! An intonated floating trem!!

Or get a Telecaster. ...

Just saying....

User Info Menu

The trem is practically flush with the top with minimal downward travel only, all 5 springs in place. Anyway, I could try what you're saying and block the mofo completely. I'm still reading the other info in your post - Thanks for that.

Yeah, not buying any more gits for the mo. Anyone want to swap their nice Tele for a mid-80s Japanese Squier Strat with no paint job? (it's a long story)

User Info Menu

Well here's some further considerations...

E/6th string low tuning issues-strat-tips-block-trem@800x600-jpg
    Blocked trem. Leave the springs on for that Strat tone

E/6th string low tuning issues-download-2-jpg
    Yes, this is a Telecaster bridge but this could work right across your string set.
    A bit of wood with the correct neck radii. Two screws through A & B saddle screws, inset appropriate nuts in the wood saddle.

E/6th string low tuning issues-images-jpg
    Or if its a beater guitar why not get inventive?
    Asian made Telecaster bridges are longer than USA made and they are top loaders meaning the strings go through the back next to the saddle screws.
    And you get to put a hot Tele pickup on a Strat.

Winner winner chicken dinner ;-)