The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

hello
    would ask to polytone users and aficionado, which is the closest 8” woofer to replace the Oem eminence one?
    Replace with a new one or re-coned?
    hope you can help

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've been at this point several times in the past when Polytones were practically without alternative as a practical, affordable and suitable JAZZ amp for the gigging musician - and I never found a suitable replacement speaker. All types I tried did not sound right (to my ears) so I had the blown ones re-coned. I've long given up on Polytones now (too old/fragile/problematic for gigging) and went with AER , Evans and my beloved BUD ! Good luck .....

PS : AFAIK the speakers used it most Polytones were made by Eminence and most were rated at 4 ohms ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    I've been at this point several times in the past when Polytones were practically without alternative as a practical, affordable and suitable JAZZ amp for the gigging musician - and I never found a suitable replacement speaker. All types I tried did not sound right (to my ears) so I had the blown ones re-coned. I've long given up on Polytones now (too old/fragile/problematic for gigging) and went with AER , Evans and my beloved BUD ! Good luck .....

PS : AFAIK the speakers used it most Polytones were made by Eminence and most were rated at 4 ohms ....
    +1. I was a huge Polytone fan for many years. When my last Polytone combo blew it's speaker, I tried a 4 ohm Eminence and the amp did not sound the same. I sold it.

Henriksen and Acoustic Image have replaced Polytone for me. Sometimes, you have to move on.

User Info Menu

+ 1 to Stringswinger's reply, most of us have had the ubiquitous Polytone
    i still have an old one with a 15" speaker, and can't get rid of it.
    The Henriksen and/or the AI Clarus are better substitutes by far.

User Info Menu

And now with the Polytone-in-a-pedal options you can have the best of both worlds.

User Info Menu

I put an 8 ohm eminence speaker in mine it is a small 8 inch speaker. Even though call for 4 ohm speaker you can always move up and it suppose to cost power but I don't notice it that much since I never play anywhere near the amps limit. It made the amp sound decent at least as good or better than original. Really I should sell the mine I don't use it that much but the extension speaker outlet works for my RE twin 8's.

User Info Menu

Faital Pro 8FE200 8" Speaker Driver 130 W 4 Ohm

Quote Originally Posted by Durban
    Faital Pro 8FE200 8" Speaker Driver 130 W 4 Ohm
    have you tried it? how is it?

User Info Menu

I ended up putting a Eminence Beta-8A which is 8 ohms so I am losing some volume I suppose. However, I had the original speaker in there and the Beta is just as loud (probably because comparing to old, tired speaker) and sounds much better. It is now much more comparable to my other Polytones in tone (Minibrute II, Teeny Brute and Minibrute IV).

User Info Menu

Beta-8A’s are a great choice for that style of amp. If it seems louder, it’s probably got better a sensitivity spec. Since it’s 8 ohm and your amp can handle 4 ohms, you could look for an old 8” speaker cabinet at a thrift store, cut out the back to make it open back, drop another Beta 8A in it, and use it as an extension when needed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopdream63
    have you tried it? how is it?
    That's a fine speaker. A little more on the low end of the frequency spectrum makes it a decent Polytone speaker. I used one on a Baby Brute and was happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    That's a fine speaker. A little more on the low end of the frequency spectrum makes it a decent Polytone speaker. I used one on a Baby Brute and was happy with it.
    wow? it’s a car audio

User Info Menu

I’ve used lots of speakers, in at least five different polytones. Contrary to Internet folklore, they all sounded pretty good. I’m a big fan of WGS speakers. That’s what I would go with.

PS, if anybody has a 12 inch mini brute, and you feel it a bit too dark, try an aluminum cone speaker. It’s just that little bit of top end that’s missing, sounds great.

PPS, for gods sake try an EQ pedal for your polytone. Scoop out the middles and boost the top and it’s a very familiar/fender sound.
    Last edited by vintagelove; 10-30-2020 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    I’ve used lots of speakers, in at least five different polytones. Contrary to Internet folklore, they all sounded pretty good. I’m a big fan of WGS speakers. That’s what I would go with.

PS, if anybody has a 12 inch mini brute, can you feel it a bit too dark, try an aluminum cone speaker. It’s just that little bit of top end that’s missing, sounds great.

PPS, for gods sake try an EQ pedal for your polytone. Scoop out the middles and boost the top and it’s a very familiar/fender sound.

Cool, but don’t think they make 8 inches 4ohm version.

User Info Menu

wow? it’s a car audio
    Look at the performance specifications, not the marketing target. It checks all the boxes, plus it's got more resilience in outdoor situations, and a lot of gigging these days is outside. But you asked for experience, I gave you mine, and you can do as you like with it.

User Info Menu

Cool, but don’t think they make 8 inches 4ohm version.

Sure do

8" G8C - 20 Watts | Warehouse Guitar Speakers

unfortunately 20w is not enough

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Look at the performance specifications, not the marketing target. It checks all the boxes, plus it's got more resilience in outdoor situations, and a lot of gigging these days is outside. But you asked for experience, I gave you mine, and you can do as you like with it.
    I trust of you and ordered it.
    I’ll let u know
    cheers

User Info Menu

PS, if anybody has a 12 inch mini brute, and you feel it a bit too dark, try an aluminum cone speaker. It’s just that little bit of top end that’s missing, sounds great.

Or click the slide switch to the "bright position" and just turn down the mids knob. Don't need an EQ pedal for this.

User Info Menu

I trust of you and ordered it.
    I’ll let u know
    cheers
    I don't have that amp anymore, but I did this clip using the Brute EQ (aka "Polytone in a Pedal") playing into the Effects Return of a Quilter ToneBlock 202 set for FullQ, using the FaitalPro speaker in a cheap Randall Cabinet I got from Reverb.com. It's not exactly like the little Polytone, of course, but the cabinet is closed, and the BruteEQ is notable for getting the Polytone sound right. The mic placement might have captured too much bass in the recording, I didn't hear it that way playing this. Still, you will get an idea what it sounds like. I was very happy with it in my little Polytone while I had it. I hope it does the job for you.

Here's another clip that doesn't distort as much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Or click the slide switch to the "bright position" and just turn down the mids knob. Don't need an EQ pedal for this.
    I love the sound of a polytone. I also like what you can do with an eq. I understand what you’re getting at with regard to tone stacks etc, but the results are different in practice.