The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Through a bit of serendipity and asking the right question to the right person at the right time, I had the good fortune to purchase this guitar today. Not one like it, this actual guitar!

It was built in 2019 in the shop of the legendary Antonio Marin Montero, co-founder of the Granada school of guitar building. He is 81 now and is still building guitars in his shop in Granada with his relatives and former apprentices Jose Marin Plazuelo and Jose Gonzalez Lopez. They build guitars together, and some get the maestro’s name (and cost twice as much) and some get labeled with the names of his assistants. But,they are the same guitars. This one is a Jose Gonzalez Lopez that was purchased by my guitar teacher when he was in Granada in 2019. Someone had ordered it and never picked it up. So, my teacher bought it and brought it back to the US. Today, I bought it from him and expect to receive it next week. It is like brand new, and I got a deal that I still can’t believe. The idea that I would own a like new negra that was hand built in the famous Marin shop in Granada is not something I could even conceive of 24 hours ago! Pictures to come when I receive it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congrats!

[Does the shirt come with it?]

User Info Menu

Nice!

User Info Menu

I've sat on that couch at GSI.

But I didn't (and can't) play like that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GTRMan
    I've sat on that couch at GSI.
    But I didn't (and can't) play like that.
    So it must be the shirt!

User Info Menu

Good catch! I played one in his workshop, oh, some 32 years ago, if I remember correctly. I still have warm memories of the guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    So it must be the shirt!
    Or, if you can play like that you can get away with wearing that shirt.