The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 48 of 48
    Can anyone vouch for the value of splurging for the Gibson LP “standard” over a studio?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like the MIJapan Tokai, Deviser Bacchus, ESP Edwards. You might have to scour Digimart.net to find them for sale in Japan.

These really look the part and play well.

LS196

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

That was a great video. Eastman comes away looking and sounding great! Love the violin finish!

(Though for myself, I'd look at the Heritage H150 or vintage Tokai LS-80 mentioned upthread. I have a Heritage 535 and 575 and a couple vintage Tokai "Springy Sound" Strats (ST-70, ST-80) and a "Breezy Sound" Tele (TE-70) that I like a lot. Tokai called their LP copies "Reborn Old" or something similar at first, then switched to "Love Rock" around 1980.)

Last edited by Flat; 10-24-2020 at 04:16 PM.

User Info Menu

A Les Paul! Good decision!

And very good advice here already.

I’ll throw in my story that leads to one observation about ”The Right Les Paul”.

After Tokai Love Rocks (ok but felt a toy when I got my first Gibby) I played USA Standards from early 1990s for about a decade. Loved them.

Then I ”had to have” a Goldtop and bought a Deluxe from ’79. Maple neck. After really trying I had to admit: I hated it. Sold it.

Then I saved and traded and bought my first Custom Shop LP, RI’56 (nowadays with Antiquity P90s). Best guitar I have ever had.

Bought a couple more USA LPs, didn’t bond them and finally found a decently priced used RI ’58. The second best guitar I have ever had. (The Burstbuckers are great but ECP RD59 Hybrid pickups are greater!)

The observation is that You can find a good LP that You love and will make You a better musician. But the Custom Shop LPs are miles ahead from that.

Is it the long tenon? Better woods? I don’t know, it feels like ’a bit better’ in every little things.

Or maybe I just am lucky. Or stupid.

(My R6 is from 2007 and the R8 is from 2012, I don’t know about the models and QC after that.)

Good luck and happy playing whatever LP You decide to buy!

User Info Menu

I'd second checking out the Eastman. Great guitar for the money. If you are set on a Gibson, I heartily recommend playing as many as possible until you get one that speaks to you within your price range. I'd would normally suggest attending one of the larger guitar shows as the ones I've attended are chock a block with Les Pauls. But Covid has killed that off as well I imagine.

I bought my first Les Paul in 1973 and it wasn't cheap then either. It cost me $425.00 at the time and I had to pay an extra $50.00 for a case. And good condition classic years 58-60 were more expensive.

I've never been partial to the full size humbucker equipped Paul for the reasons others have mentioned so my Gibson Les Paul of choice is a Deluxe Gold Top with a Kinman P90 noiseless in the bridge and a Lollar Mini-Hum in the neck.

User Info Menu

I would look for a used Gibson Les Paul classic or traditional, you can often find one around 1500. Try to check out one with P90s, as they are excellent for blues, and many prefer them to PAFs. Also the Les Paul Junior is an option if going for P90s..

User Info Menu

I've had a few Gibsons ans an Epiphone that was quite nice - contoured top with a nice quilted veneer in a deep ruby red; loaded with a pair of Duncam hbs ( a Jazz and a '59 PAF type) - sounded righteous, looked, felt, and played (not to mention weighed) like the "real thing." The Gibsons were a '69 Custom in black with the matchstick "Fretless Wonder" frets worn down nearly to the ebony fb wearing a Bigsby (cos' LPs aren't quite heavy enough) with a custom set of my own devising of 15 - 60 strings of various types; a "55/78" "reissue" with soapbar P-90s all-mahogany slab-bodied grooviness that I used primarily as a back-up for many years, and a Les Paul Junior "Special" (so sayeth the tr cover) with 490s or some such and a set of 12s on it. All were worthy instruments, albeit on the weighty side.

A couple of friends have or had the Deluxes with the mini-hums and they sounded great.

Hard to go wrong with a decent LP.

User Info Menu

I was just going through some things I have not listed for sale yet and came across a player’s grade Les Paul classic that I had completely forgotten about. It just needs some clean up before I sell it. It has honest play wear, but is very nice. I’d make someone a good deal on it if anyone is interested.

User Info Menu

I think you said that you're a jazz player, so if you've been playing an archtop, a LP might feel uncomfortable seated due to the weight being concentrated in a small area. Personally, and FWIW, if I were going to go back to playing rock and blues (not likely to happen), I'd probably look for a nice SG instead.

User Info Menu

Check out the FGN (Fujigen) brand ... great guitars .... impeccable finish and neck...low price!

FGN Fujigen NLS30GFMBF Neo Classic Guitar, Granadillo Fretboard, Vintage Violin https://reverb.com/item/35755586-fgn...ntent=35755586

User Info Menu

This one is more interesting than the other SB59 video by Daryl:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    I think you said that you're a jazz player, so if you've been playing an archtop, a LP might feel uncomfortable seated due to the weight being concentrated in a small area. Personally, and FWIW, if I were going to go back to playing rock and blues (not likely to happen), I'd probably look for a nice SG instead.
    im not quite sure upI understand the logic here... are you suggesting the SG is better due to more weight in the neck?

that said, I do love SGs...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MHoranzy
    im not quite sure upI understand the logic here... are you suggesting the SG is better due to more weight in the neck?
    No, less weight in the body!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by powerwagonjohn
    I haven't played my Les Paul since I bought a 1971 Guild M-75. It's a solid mahogany body with two HB-1 pick ups and a nice fat neck. These are fairly inexpensive and great players. Check one out before you buy a Les Paul.

Thanks John
    I've wanted a Guild M-75 or Blues Bird ever since I heard Larry Carlton's 'Blues Bird' which was played on a Guild. Used prices for USA made Guilds have increased quite a bit recently.

User Info Menu

If i were ever to buy a les paul it would be this one. No question.
    Les Paul Recommendations please?-schermafbeelding-2020-10-27-om-20-27-27-jpg

User Info Menu

Hamer Studio! Really awesome guitars and gets close to Les Paul territory. I have an early 90’s made in the USA! Can be had for around 1K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    If i were ever to buy a les paul it would be this one. No question.
    Les Paul Recommendations please?-schermafbeelding-2020-10-27-om-20-27-27-jpg
    Why the DC and ES Les Paul models never gained traction I'll never figure out. They're also the only "standard" models that prices hover at or near affordability.

User Info Menu

Besides that, the DC's are way more beautifull.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    Besides that, the DC's are way more beautifull.
    Many players get stuck in a tradition rut, in general...

A thick hollowbody MUST have one cut.
    A Semi MUST have TWO cuts.
    A solid Gibson MUST have one cut
    The head MUST be open book (no snake head, hockey sticks allowed)
    No volutes!

So many arcane visual rules for makers to try and overcome...

It's not only guitars, A friend who rides a Harley went on about air cooled engines being "Traditional" and I asked" Why not kick starters, drum brakes, a carburettor, chain and distributor" No answer :-)

User Info Menu

My pick has been an epiphone elitist Les Paul for the past decade or so. Failing that? Maybe a heritage or Eastman if I were shopping today. A Gibson would be a distant fourth or fifth, depending on the price, weight, construction (Swiss cheese or chambers) and if I can get my hands on it first or not.

My "not exactly" suggestion would be a gretsch jet of some kind, or perhaps even a guild aristocrat/blues bird.

I had a black eighties Aria for about 700$ that was pretty nice! Could have used better pickups.

User Info Menu

I have a Standard that I bought from Rudy's in 2000, it is a keeper..

I just went with this and awaiting delivery..
    Original Collection Les Paul Special | Les Paul Junior, Original Collection | Wildwood Guitars