The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Hi !

There is nothing fancy here, just something played with the bridge pickup, I am not afraid of being bashed for my sound and my playing.

Bridge at 3:05

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds fine to me. IMHO playing on the bridge pickup is sort of like a trumpeter using a Harmon mute- another sound, provides a particular feel, like everything else don't overdo it. Sort of like the edge of distortion providing a sax-ish sound.

It's interesting that on some of my guitars I can't find a tone I like using the bridge pickup, on others I can.

User Info Menu

There are bridge pickups?

User Info Menu

Yea I’ve seen pick-ups available under a bridge in Philadelphia many times. Used to in New York but I guess they’ve gone to no bridge pickups.
    oh, wait...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Sounds fine to me. IMHO playing on the bridge pickup is sort of like a trumpeter using a Harmon mute- another sound, provides a particular feel, like everything else don't overdo it. Sort of like the edge of distortion providing a sax-ish sound.

It's interesting that on some of my guitars I can't find a tone I like using the bridge pickup, on others I can.
    It comes from the strings (flatwounds) and the tone knob at 0.
    On a regular stratocaster without tone control on the bridge I think it can't happen.

User Info Menu

The tone is really good IMO. Nice and fat, and would probably sit well in a band mix. But the playing is very hard to comment on. In spots, it sounds somewhat together, but in other spots you just seem lost in the form and unsure of what to play. If those videos are good a representation of your ability to play a straight up version of the tune, then I think you need a lot of work, starting with the basics of technique, time and grasp of form, melody, and harmony. OTOH, if they are your deliberately and carefully crafted outside and eccentric interpretation, that might be a different story. I honestly can't tell.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    The tone is really good IMO. Nice and fat, and would probably sit well in a band mix. But the playing is very hard to comment on. In spots, it sounds somewhat together, but in other spots you just seem lost in the form and unsure of what to play. If those videos are good a representation of your ability to play a straight up version of the tune, then I think you need a lot of work, starting with the basics of technique, time and grasp of form, melody, and harmony. OTOH, if they are your deliberately and carefully crafted outside and eccentric interpretation, that might be a different story. I honestly can't tell.

John
    Thanks, It can be worst ! Trust me !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    It comes from the strings (flatwounds) and the tone knob at 0.
    On a regular stratocaster without tone control on the bridge I think it can't happen.
    Ever played a Fender Esquire with the switch in „bridge“ position? My wife had to get physical to stop me from buying. And I don‘t play Rock any more.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

With chords it is not so fun !!!
    It sounds the way it sounds, just listen to the half of the video because at the middle of it there is a big danger, we use to calling it a guitar solo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara

I agree, it's another color in the guitarist's palette. On my Gibsons with two humbuckers, I will use either the front by itself, or frequently enough, both pickups. The dedicated volume and tone controls make it possible to craft a tone that sits nicely in the mix under varying instrumentations. Most often I find the ES-175's controls in the 4-6 range for both V and T. I think every instrument is idiosyncratic in that respect. I adjust my switches and controls by ear in real time. If the drummer switches from a ride to a sizzle in mid-measure, I usually respond with more bridge than neck and so forth. "On the fly" sums it up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    ... On my Gibsons with two humbuckers, I will use either the front by itself, or frequently enough, both pickups. The dedicated volume and tone controls make it possible to craft a tone that sits nicely in the mix under varying instrumentations. .... I think every instrument is idiosyncratic in that respect. I adjust my switches and controls by ear in real time...
    ^ exactly ck74...everything matters with a guitar...pots, caps,wiring, etc etc..no 2 exactly identical...unless purposely $trived for...(and that won't last anyway as electronic specs sway)

potentiometers have historically been rated at +/- 10% to 20%...so your 500k pot resistance can range anywhere from 400k to 600k...then factor in the rest of the component variables

develop, then trust your ear...no presets!

cheers

ps- & props to lionelsax...always interesting
    Last edited by neatomic; 10-20-2020 at 09:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi !

I shared this in another thread, this is another guitar. There is no amp, I really liked the sound.
    This guitar is supposed to play metal.
    I put flatwound strings, except for the low A.
    I thought it could be interesting.