The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Old Gibson P-90 Pickup-d5fd00a6-2c49-4db8-af50-15c6774b48a9-jpg
    Hello,
    I got an old Es 125 guitar that has a very nice tone. It has an old P90 pickup which is non adjustable. The poles have different hights so volume between g and b string is perfect. What I find interesting is that the pole on the g string is not as high as the one on the d string.
    Do you have more info about this pickup? Was it used on other Gibson archtops? How does it compare to the later p90 pickup with adjustable pole pieces?
    greetings from Germany
    fabian

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

that pup was used in 1946 era 125's...it has alnico magnet polepieces..rather than screws like most p-90's

leo fender used the same idea for his jazzmaster pickups...alnico rod polepieces

really 2 different pickups!...not your typical p-90

magnets could be set for very heavy 1946 strings...or were later modified/sunk for nonwound g...

nice rarity! treat it well

cheers

User Info Menu

I had the G string magnets pressed down on a Strat many years ago for better volume balance with a plain G. I imagine someone did the same with your P90. I think it’s risky to do that in some pickups since it might break a winding, but mine came out fine.

Thank you for your replies.
    I really like the clear sound of the pickup.

User Info Menu

A “slug pole” P90 like this would have been original to my 1950 ES-125, but it had a humbucker when I bought it. I hear good things about these, but never played one. Supposedly they sound airier and a little brighter than a regular P90.

Just a smal update. I took a pair of pliers and got the magnet of the g string out again. Did not need much force, so maybe gibson designed this "feature" you cannot move the other magnets (no need for this anyway). Now it also "looks" right- the sound on the g string got only a tiny bit louder by this. It still is great with the b string but is now also perfect with the d string.
    anyway: it s a nice pickup. In the last years I came to the conclusion that for fingerstyle jazz, I do not like full sized humbuckers. I love p90 s and like floating mini humbuckers( Johnny Smith style).

All the best to you

User Info Menu

i's suggest that the reason why you were only able to move g string magnet is because it was already moved/lowered at some point...a bit risky...glad it worked out tho...

nice pickup indeed

enjoy

cheers

User Info Menu

That is one of the earliest P90's.
    I agree with neatomic.
    I have a 1946 ES-125 with that exact pickup. Pole pieces configured the same also.
    The magnets are really strong. Check with your doctor if you have a pacemaker! just kidding. But, yes, incredible sound and rare.