The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm really enjoying my new-to-me Jazzmaster. I noticed, though, when I play an open B, through the amp it almost sounds like it's going through a phaser effect. No other notes, open or otherwise, do it.
    I can feel the body of the guitar resonate on that open B, though.
    I tried tightening down any screws (pickguard, tuners, etc). Bridge (original) is set-up for proper intonation.

Any ideas?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Listen with headphones and no speaker in the room to eliminate that it's resonating in the room. My room tends to resonate on a B but the one an octave lower.

The room resonation could cause the guitar to resonate. When my german shepherd barks the strings on my acoustic guitar hanging on the wall ring out (she barks loud).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Listen with headphones and no speaker in the room to eliminate that it's resonating in the room. My room tends to resonate on a B but the one an octave lower.
    Using headphones was actually how I discovered it, I have a nice pair of Sony studio phones plugged into my Roland MicroCube. And I can feel the body of the guitar vibrate when it happens.

User Info Menu

Tighten, or loosen (within reason) the bolts holding the neck on.,

Add some weight to the headstock .. maybe a tuner, or a weight clamped there. Might not have to be very heavy.

Check the slots in bridge and nut.

Tighten every screw you can see, if you haven't already.

Open it up, dress the wires away from the pots, tape them together etc -- anything to reduce the chance of something vibrating. Don't forget the jack and plate.

Something is vibrating in a way it shouldn't. It isn't very likely to be the wood itself, I wouldn't think. If the body resonated to B, what about playing the same pitch on a different string?

Long shot: pluck the string and look at it carefully. It should give the illusion of being two strings, one to the left, one to the right. If it does not separate that way, it may not be vibrating correctly, in which case you simply change the string. Maybe to a different gauge if that's comfortable.

User Info Menu

what gauge strings are you using? sounds like string maybe rattllng on screw bridge saddle...causing a sitaring effect...the threads of the bridge saddle are too narrow to properly seat the string

if string isn't the issue, try lowering the entire bridge, then increasing the height (to normal) on the individual saddles...better to have the saddles high and the bridge plate low

old jazzmaster tech knowledge

luck

cheers

ps- you might also try the bridge sold by amazon for cheap $$$.that i've posted in various jm threads here
    Last edited by neatomic; 10-16-2020 at 10:45 PM. Reason: typo-

User Info Menu

I've no experience with wolf tone and solid body, but I've never had one with vibrateable strings between the bridge and tail piece. Check this out Wolf_tone and see what you think.

I used to play cello and needed the gizmo described in the article. It's a mystery to me what it's all about, but the added mass on the offending string below the bridge changes things.

Maybe....