The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I Love my 335, but I hate the way it sounds playing jazz. I use this guitar primarily for blues playing. I love my peerless monarch, but it is not versatile enough, it has only the neck pick up. I just liquidated a bunch of effects pedals and other gear, and to my surprise everything sold well and quickly over the past week. I now have $1000 and I’m looking for a new arch top that will do both blues and jazz equally well.

Looking for suggestions on a 16 inch arch top with dual humbuckers. Full hollow, prefer cutaway (Venetian or Florentine), and Prefer over 2”depth. It doesn’t have to be new and it can be below $1k. I’ve looked at Ibanez, Epiphone, D’Angelico and others and I just can’t decide! I like a classic woody tone, i enjoy playing the blues and trad jazz. Any suggestions appreciated.

thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A used Peerless/Eastman with two pickups?
    [Or, save some money and mess with your amp some more to dial in sounds you like! Plenty of fine jazz played on a 335!]

Have fun!

User Info Menu

Save another $1,000 and get a Gibson ES-175. It will be like having money in the bank and you will never have to trade up.

User Info Menu

Or a used Epiphone ES-175 Premium (has the Gibson Classic 57 humbuckers)

User Info Menu

Maybe a Godin 5th Ave Kinpin II (either the P90 or the humbucker version) would fit the bill.

John

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

A used peerless monarch fits that bill. Or a used Epi premium es175.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Save another $1,000 and get a Gibson ES-175. It will be like having money in the bank and you will never have to trade up.
    I’d love to but can you really get a 175 for $2000?!?! Cheapest I see them is $3k

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    I’d love to but can you really get a 175 for $2000?!?! Cheapest I see them is $3k
    You can if you are willing to wait for a deal

1970's Gibson ES-175D Hollow Body. Sunburst Electric Guitar W/HSC . | eBay

1977 Gibson ES-175T, blonde, beautiful, excellent shape, plays and sounds great! | eBay

Gibson ES-175 1993 Vintage Sunburst | Jaime's Boutique | Reverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    I have purchased 3 ES175s over the last few years, all were exactly $2000, 2 were new, 1 from the forum and as good as mint. If you bide your time, you can find these around $2K, especially on this forum.

User Info Menu

Several recommendations for Godin 5th Ave. Not versatile enough IMHO and feedback-prone, thinking of power blues. Never tried the EPI 175 but that's where I'd start from. You can get a used EPI Broadway for substantially less, but it's 17".
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 10-17-2020 at 03:26 PM.

User Info Menu

There you go....

Epiphone ES-175 PREMIUM Vintage Sunburst W/ GIBSON 57 HUMBUCKERS Epiphone ES-175 PREMIUM Vintage Sunburst W/ GIBSON 57 | Reverb

User Info Menu

Eastman.