The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Due to a shoulder injury I can no longer play big guitars. My D’A is on consignment here:

1953 D’Angelico New Yorker | Folkway

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by pcjazz; 10-16-2020 at 10:48 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My sincere condolences. What a beautiful guitar. I wish I could afford it.
    Last edited by Kirk1701; 10-17-2020 at 07:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Classic beauty! Good luck with the sale -- I have deep pockets and short arms

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Classic beauty! Good luck with the sale -- I have deep pockets and short arms
    Reminds me of that blues line about the knock-kneed woman and the bow-legged man ...

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar. Good luck with the sale. Sorry you're not able to play it anymore.

Maybe this thread should be moved to the For Sale section?

Regardless, it's a real thing of beauty. 1 and 9/16 sounds like a skinny neck, if you're use to 1.75 or 1 11/16. Is this typical for D'Angelico?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Beautiful guitar. Good luck with the sale. Sorry you're not able to play it anymore.

Regardless, it's a real thing of beauty. 1 and 9/16 sounds like a skinny neck, if you're use to 1.75 or 1 11/16. Is this typical for D'Angelico?
    John D'Angelico was a custom builder and would give you the neck you wanted. I own three of his guitars. Two are 1 11/16 nut and the third is 1 3/4 nut.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone

The nut is a bit narrower than most of my guitars but it hasn’t been a problem. I find the neck comfortable even for finger-picking. I imagine it was custom-ordered to these dimensions. Somewhere there is an interview with Bill Bay who says Mel particularly treasured his thinner-necked D’A.

Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum; I had unsubscribed from the For Sale forum some time ago for (mental) health reasons!

User Info Menu

I want it but I just cannot deal with the thinner neck. If I could only play the puppy.

User Info Menu

I've had the opportunity to play this guitar and it's pretty damned swell.

User Info Menu

I know a bit about the history of this guitar, as it used to belong to my brother. It was originally built for Joe Patire, who was a barber in NYC (when the guitar was in my family, it had ”Joe” written on a piece of material attached the the case). The Aquired if the Angels book talks about John D’Angelico using Joe Patire’s barber shop for events to show his guitars. I guess Joe was also a bit of a guitar player. It’s a nice solid guitar with a unique headstock (pointed on the corners, like an excel, but without a finial). The narrow nut is not a big deal IMO. The neck is very comfortable. I attached a picture of Joe Patire, the original owner.
    Keith
    1953 D’Angelico New Yorker-62b021c1-da63-42cd-8124-4a9abfbb0662-jpeg

User Info Menu

yeah, I noticed the pointed headstock too back when it was for sale at the shop, pretty unusual.
    the Deacon has one of the coolest NYer headstock inlays I've seen, might have seen it only one or two other times.
    Maybe he can be persuaded to post a pic, ultra deco!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Now it all makes sense.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1953 D’Angelico New Yorker-deviser-jpg 

User Info Menu

How I would imagine a Gibson and Epiphone love child.