The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a jc120 that I bought probably around 15 years ago. The reverb worked initially but I remember it not working shortly after that. Never really used it but now that I'm thinking if selling it, I would like to fix it if it's easy. I pulled the head out and looked for the disconnected wire that I hear is common but I couldn't see anything wrong. I have to keep volumes low and it kills me to part with it(love the chorus) but it's just taking up space.
    Any suggestions?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wiggle the connecting wires. If the reverb tank is connected with RCA jacks, adjust the little wings with a needlenose pliers. You can't verify contact just by pushing them in. No guarantee this will work, but it's easy, free and it might.

User Info Menu

service manual here

Good luck.

Thank you.

User Info Menu

If memory serves, and forgive me if I am remembering incorrectly (it's been probably 10 years since I last had my JC120) you won't have any of your effects like chorus or reverb at the lowest volume settings. You have to push it even just a little. I played it really quiet in my house and noticed this and thought something was wrong until I found somewhere that I had to turn it up just a touch. I hope that is all that it is.

I have it pretty low and the chorus is beautiful. Somethings up with the reverb. Going to take the head out again this weekend and double check everthing.

User Info Menu

If memory serves (my old jc77 is in storage), the reverb is sort of metallic. It's not a spring reverb the way a, say, fender might be. It's certainly better than nothing, but I always preferred to use a reverb pedal with it.

So if you have one of those lying around, you might not be missing a whole lot of you don't get it fixed.