The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Got offered a silverface vibro champ, looks brand new.
    Does anyone have experience with one?
    On paper it looks like it could be a great amp to record/practice with?

Also, a fender jazz king popped up locally. Quite cheap it seems.
    I really don't need another amp but yeah.. i guess it's a hobby and we're heading for a new lockdown so might as well have something to play with..

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've owned a couple of SV Vibro Champs. Great sounding little amps. The don't have a lot of headroom so single coils are the best match, especially with the native speaker (or similar).

User Info Menu

Sorry, I do not know from a silver face vibe champ.

Am pretty sure you need another amp.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

There’s a 2013 thread on here where the jazz king gets plenty kudos. At 50 pounds it could be heavy but someone mentioned Wes sounds and it was a heavenly match for arch tops. Watch out for loose solders as I understand it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

IIRC silverface vibro champs are similar to blackface ones. It’s a great sounding little amp perfect for home, recording or small gigs. I even prefer the sound to deluxe reverb, which I also love. Depends on the context, though. For small venues it is my first choice if a bluesy breakup and mild overdrive is desirable. For clean jazz tone I would rather take the AER.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonni
    IIRC silverface vibro champs are similar to blackface ones. It’s a great sounding little amp perfect for home, recording or small gigs. I even prefer the sound to deluxe reverb, which I also love. Depends on the context, though. For small venues it is my first choice if a bluesy breakup and mild overdrive is desirable. For clean jazz tone I would rather take the AER.
    '70 Silverface Vibro Champ owner here, and I really love it. I had a '66 as a kid and gigged with it before I knew any better. The little AlNico speakers could really bark. Great amp for home and recording use as stated above.

User Info Menu

I have a BF VC. I believe the SF VCs are very similar. My VC occupies a place of honor in my studio/office/batcave - just to my left at head height. Really a versatile tone machine. At present it's got a Nocturne Pescadoro pedal providing discrete ambient enhancements. A keeper!

User Info Menu

The Vibro Champ is the better choice, no contest. They have doubled in value since 2010. I only know this because I paid $250 for one around 2007 and sold it a few years later. The last few years I've seen them skyrocket over $1000.

It's a great amp that's surprisingly flexible. If you find you don't like it, you can always sell it on for a great price.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Vibrochamp. Identically circuit BF/SF. Fantastic sounding amp, just like the Champ.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    Sorry, I do not know from a silver face vibe champ.

Am pretty sure you need another amp.

Good luck!
    I found that mine sounded best if I used and extension cabinet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff
    Vibrochamp. Identically circuit BF/SF. Fantastic sounding amp, just like the Champ.
    I own a Rivera-era Super Champ. I reckoned it probably too different to apply here.

It may be, or not, I have no experience of other Champs.

But now I'm prompted to say it makes the sweetest trebles & I love it.

Guy I bought it from put a "Patriot " speaker in it. It is out on loan to a pal so that's as close as I can get w/out being able to look at it.

Many amps, often running simultaneously, make me happier.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    I own a Rivera-era Super Champ. I reckoned it probably too different to apply here.

It may be, or not, I have no experience of other Champs.

But now I'm prompted to say it makes the sweetest trebles & I love it.

Guy I bought it from put a "Patriot " speaker in it. It is out on loan to a pal so that's as close as I can get w/out being able to look at it.

Many amps, often running simultaneously, make me happier.

Good luck!
    Fender's mid-80's Super Champ is nothing like any Vibro Champ or Champ. The circuit is unique, using two 6V6 power tubes and solid state rectifier making 18 watts. The tone stack also include an overdrive channel. Paul Rivera and Ed Jahn gave all of their amps similar features and were primarily designed to compete with Mesa Boogie at the time.

I'm a huge fan of the so-called Rivera-era amps, but still love my little Vibro Champ.

User Info Menu

I have had my Silverface Vibro Champ for over 5 years.

Its utility will depend on what kind of use you are considering and what kind of music you play… and what you pay for it vs alternatives. I play blues and find it excellent for playing at home and jamming with a few friends.

I don’t use it outside the home for more than an occasional jam. It’s a bit underpowered for gigs and requires me to drag along a reverb box, and, as a nearly 40-year old amp, reliability can be an issue on occasion (I retensioned the tube sockets but often find I need to slide tubes in/out of sockets to get better contact). Regardless, I don’t think I’d ever go with a vintage amp without a backup amp/plan.

It would seem a great amp for recording.

The Vibrato design is unique and allows a really great tremolo effect, owing to preamp stage bias modulation. However, nice as this is, you may not use it that frequently, unless you play blues a la Slim Harpo or perhaps Jimmy Smith instrumentals. Like the Champ, you’ll need to add your own reverb if desired. As someone mentioned, with high output pickups, you’ll be backing off quite a bit to avoid breakup.

Once you take your needs and budget into consideration, you’ll be able to find a great amp, I’m sure. Who knows, maybe you’ll even decide to build your own vintage clone!

User Info Menu

I owned a blackface Vibro-Champ for years. Great amp. Stefan Eff is right...no difference between bf and sf with the Vibro-Champ.

User Info Menu

I've used a Jazz King for a couple of gigs with a loud organ trio and it held up just great. The sound it put out was very clear, punchy and warm and the amp is capable of extreme sound pressure levels - 140 watts into an efficient 15" speaker/closed back cabinet !!! The downside : the eq section is a bit tricky and you need some time to get the hang of it. And it's a heavy mother .... When you have strong shoulders or a helping hand and a good deal comes your way then go for it, it's a very fine amp.