The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Review of my uncommon Steinberger GL2T, the original headless graphite guitar!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My favorite bass player had a Steinberger bass for a while, two, in fact - one real and one "homage" IIRC. Got some great tones out of them, before moving back to his trademark Music Mans - Cutlass and Saber and finally a five-string. Probably had several others since. He's a lot younger than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    My favorite bass player had a Steinberger bass for a while, two, in fact - one real and one "homage" IIRC. Got some great tones out of them, before moving back to his trademark Music Mans - Cutlass and Saber and finally a five-string. Probably had several others since. He's a lot younger than I am.

Cool, who is it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greveost
    Cool, who is it?
    I doubt if you would know him, as he is local to me and I am in the middle of nowhere. His name is Bruce S. and he has a room full of trail-bike racing trophies and basses and amps. We have played together in many bands over many years. His command of the instrument is amazing. And he sings like a bird. We met under interesting circumstances.
    The previous night was the last gig for our at-the-time bassist, and Bruce was to be next up. At that never-to-be-forgotten gig, the bass man and the drummer went outside after the job, as was their wont, for a last wee smoke before tearing down. They were gone quite awhile. Turns out the drummer had left the keys to the van on the dash, and a couple of escapees from a local juvenile detention center for very naughty boys of a certain socioeconomic stratum stole the van. The State Trooper that eventually showed up to interview the owner of the van (our drummer) talked to him for over an hour, which must have been interesting, given his mental state.*

We were stranded eighty miles from home with only the other guitar player's Dodge Charger to get home in, no room whatever for our modest-but-by-no-means nonexistent equipment (this was a loud room - we used a couple of Voice of the Theaters and a pair of Bose 802s to get the sound the two-and-a-half feet to the dancers on the floor [in contrast, our competition at the time traveled in a school bus with twenty-two VotTs]).
    So - four men and three women (two of them on each of my knees) riding in silence for eighty miles. Cozy.
    Well, Bruce had a van and the next day he kindly assented to driving the drummer and me to pick up the stuff. He must have been wondering what the heck he was getting into, but he persevered. There were a good many adventures to follow. Never a dull moment!

* The van was eventually found in New Jersey, the inside trashed and painted liberally with Satanic symbols and phrases. Those scamps!

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I doubt if you would know him, as he is local to me and I am in the middle of nowhere. His name is Bruce S. and he has a room full of trail-bike racing trophies and basses and amps. We have played together in many bands over many years. His command of the instrument is amazing. And he sings like a bird. We met under interesting circumstances.
    The previous night was the last gig for our at-the-time bassist, and Bruce was to be next up. At that never-to-be-forgotten gig, the bass man and the drummer went outside after the job, as was their wont, for a last wee smoke before tearing down. They were gone quite awhile. Turns out the drummer had left the keys to the van on the dash, and a couple of escapees from a local juvenile detention center for very naughty boys of a certain socioeconomic stratum stole the van. The State Trooper that eventually showed up to interview the owner of the van (our drummer) talked to him for over an hour, which must have been interesting, given his mental state.*

We were stranded eighty miles from home with only the other guitar player's Dodge Charger to get home in, no room whatever for our modest-but-by-no-means nonexistent equipment (this was a loud room - we used a couple of Voice of the Theaters and a pair of Bose 802s to get the sound the two-and-a-half feet to the dancers on the floor [in contrast, our competition at the time traveled in a school bus with twenty-two VotTs]).
    So - four men and three women (two of them on each of my knees) riding in silence for eighty miles. Cozy.
    Well, Bruce had a van and the next day he kindly assented to driving the drummer and me to pick up the stuff. He must have been wondering what the heck he was getting into, but he persevered. There were a good many adventures to follow. Never a dull moment!

* The van was eventually found in New Jersey, the inside trashed and painted liberally with Satanic symbols and phrases. Those scamps!

Wow, that is quite a story! Nice!

Thanks for sharing!