The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

I made a comparison of 11 Celestion speakers. No post processing (not even lowpass/highpass) to give the fairest representation of how they sound.

Which one do you like the most and what are your favourite speakers?

Clean/crunch comparison:

High gain comparison:

Guitar only version:

Last edited by c_tecks; 10-15-2020 at 09:26 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

High Gain Comparison.....Not quite the right audience for that here.

How about doing nice and clean?

User Info Menu

This is so not the right audience, lol. But the clean version can be interesting.

User Info Menu

Looking forward to the clean version; although the hi-gains were nice; I'll still keep the original Celestions in my '72 Plexi half-stack, thank you very much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    High Gain Comparison.....Not quite the right audience for that here.

How about doing nice and clean?
    I have understood that we have here some fusionists too (not me), so maybe they learn something from hi-gain stuff too.

User Info Menu

Looking forward to the clean/crunch demo.

I NEVER use that much gain, even when playing heavy metal! But FWIW, for that "djent" sound, I liked the Lynchbacks and Heritage Annies the best.

User Info Menu

Well-constructed video - it was easy to toggle directly between speaker sounds using the speaker photo on the lower-right corner as a guide. I'd certainly be curious to hear similar videos made with several classic clean jazz guitar settings.

User Info Menu

pretty useless video for this audience. I personally have switched to all celestion speakers. My favorite is the Alnico 90, followed by the Alnico Gold and then the ceramic creamback 75. Interested to try the red back but haven't had a chance. IMO, they sound great for jazz or modern fusion tones and of course blues/rock.

User Info Menu

Somehow I started to think that the OP of this thread – C_teck – might be in some connection to the Celestion?

So would somebody of us be willing and able to contact him and suggesting to play some classic jazzy notes thru all these speakers to make a video for our demanding ears?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Somehow I started to think that the OP of this thread – C_teck – might be in some connection to the Celestion?

So would somebody of us be willing and able to contact him and suggesting to play some classic jazzy notes thru all these speakers to make a video for our demanding ears?
    he probably doesn't play jazz

User Info Menu

Speakers can be a funny thing when comparing them. For instance, open back vs closed back cabs, power handling, Neo vs Alnico ,vs Ceramic, and also mixing them as well!

It can be really a frustrating search overall. You really need to try them with your rig to find out what works for your needs!

No, I'm not associated with Celestion in any way.
    I own these speakers myself (bought em throughout the years).

I'm also not a jazz player (yet) but I'm interested in playing around more with cleans/crunch guitar playing.
    Also learning improvisation is something I'd like to dig in deeper and deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Speakers can be a funny thing when comparing them. For instance, open back vs closed back cabs, power handling, Neo vs Alnico ,vs Ceramic, and also mixing them as well!

It can be really a frustrating search overall. You really need to try them with your rig to find out what works for your needs!
    I definitely agree, every speaker can sound drastically different with a different cabinet.
    There are so much things that can change your sound.
    Different guitar pickups, the amp, the speaker, the cabinet, the microphone(s) used for recording.
    All these factors can make a huge difference in the whole chain.

I updated the first post and added the clean/crunch comparison.
    Keep in mind, I'm using an EVH 5150 III.
    Its clean and crunch channel are okay, but a lot different then your regular clean amps.
    Anyway, I'm mostly a high gain metal player, so I'm still experimenting with cleaner/crunchier tones on the current gear I own.

For what it's worth I hope the clean/crunch video is okay and shows some differences in the characteristics of all the speakers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by c_tecks

For what it's worth I hope the clean/crunch video is okay and shows some differences in the characteristics of all the speakers.
    I watched the clean/crunch video, we have very different notions of clean guitar sound. I'd consider the guitars sounds in that video to be pretty well into the overdriven/distorted territory.

It might be because you seem to be more comfortable playing rhythm and use to the sounds of the fat overdriven power chord riffs.

User Info Menu

I made a comparison of 11 Celestion speakers. No post processing (not even lowpass/highpass) to give the fairest representation of how they sound.

Which one do you like the most and what are your favourite speakers?

Clean/crunch comparison:

High gain comparison:

Guitar only version:

User Info Menu

Agin this so subjective and based on what feels right ultimately. Even Jack Z and myself disagree on speakers and we both love a Clean Fat Jazz tone on the neck pickup,LOL !

User Info Menu

Even if I usually played with some overdrive, I think I’d always want to hear gear compared dead clean before making comparisons with any kind of distortion. That goes for guitars, amps, speakers and most effects pedals. I learned nothing from these videos.

User Info Menu

Interestingly, this just popped up on YouTube:

More Celestion comparisons - blind testing vs the Katana stock speaker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    Interestingly, this just popped up on YouTube:

More Celestion comparisons - blind testing vs the Katana stock speaker.
    As interesting as that looks, I don't have an hour-and-a-half. What's the answer?

User Info Menu

I think one can make a more dramatic video with "11 different mic positions."

I can usually get a good sound with most of my combo amps or cabinets with different types of speakers with mic placement and recording technique. Does that mean I try to get them to all sound the same? I think so.

Hi again,

Since I'm not much of a clean/jazz player, I tried creating a small piece of music that I can use to play/reamp in my future video's.
    I made a demo version of it, you can listen here:

clean jazzy preview.mp3 - Google Drive

Please let me know if you think this is a good audio clip for clean tones.
    I'll add some bass too.
    Right now it has some EQ and reverb, I will add some compression too.

In my video's I also use a guitars only clip anyway, where I use no EQ, reverb, compression.
    That way you can hear it dry + in a mix with some bass+drums.

Any suggestions/tips are welcome!

User Info Menu

Hi again,

Since I'm not much of a clean/jazz player, I tried creating a small piece of music that I can use to play/reamp in my future video's.
    I made a demo version of it, you can listen here:

clean jazzy preview.mp3 - Google Drive

Please let me know if you think this is a good audio clip for clean tones.
    I'll add some bass too.
    Right now it has some EQ and reverb, I will add some compression too.

In my video's I also use a guitars only clip anyway, where I use no EQ, reverb, compression.
    That way you can hear it dry + in a mix with some bass+drums.

Any suggestions/tips are welcome!
    Wow, not bad, nice!

There is chords, bass notes and one note melody with the treble strings so it should give some perspective with the speakers.

I am with the school which thinks that the test clips are most informative when there is minimum effects – especially if You are not testing the effects. Many are interested in the compression of the speakers, so be careful with that.

What amp are You using?

Thanks for the effort!

Wow, not bad, nice!

There is chords, bass notes and one note melody with the treble strings so it should give some perspective with the speakers.

I am with the school which thinks that the test clips are most informative when there is minimum effects – especially if You are not testing the effects. Many are interested in the compression of the speakers, so be careful with that.

What amp are You using?

Thanks for the effort!
    I appreciate the feedback!

This demo clip was played through a Mesa Roadster channel 4 kemper profile that I made.
    I think it's a Mesa Boogie oversized cabinet (V30).
    It actually is a high gain distortion profile, but I backed down the gain to almost zero.
    I used the neck pickup of my Ibanez Jem (dimarzio paf humbucker I think).

Right now I'm going to rehearse this piece until I can really play it clean.
    I've also made a high gain metal clip and am going to create a more rock/crunch clip.
    the Rock/crunch might be a good opportunity to do some more chug chug muting.
    The metal clip is pure metal riffage.

I agree, just no effects is the best representation, but on the other side I just love doing these small 'in the mix' clips too.

That way all kind of players can hopefully enjoy my test clips.