The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

I've been experimenting with the best use of the Brute EQ "Polytone in a Pedal" built by our own forum friend jazzmus. Today I think I found it. Ran the pedal into the Quilter Tone Block 202 and set the TB "voice" to FRFR. I think the "flat" voice is best simply to amplify the output of the pedal. Mic'd the cab with a Shure SM57 and played an old favorite. I liked the results a lot! I plan to try the XLR Direct Out for another go at it, but frankly I love this cobbled-together cabinet a lot.

Last edited by lawson-stone; 10-10-2020 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Credit jazzmus as builder of the pedal

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What are you using for cab / speaker(s) in this video?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    What are you using for cab / speaker(s) in this video?
    Pretty improvised. The speaker is a Faital Pro 10FE200 300w 4Ohm 10" in a Marshall 1x10" "Mini Stack" cabinet that came with a 25W speaker which I replaced with the Faital Pro. It's got openings in the back, a hole-handle. For some reason I just love how it sounds. Not like any other speaker cab I have.Polytone Pedal Thunkalicious-img_6216-jpg

User Info Menu

Here's a clip with the L5ces. I find the L5 is more complex and the "sweet spot" tonally on any amp is a narrower range. I don't think I quite found it here. I've also not found the Polytone in general to be the best for the L5ces sound. It's more of a Fender Twin Reverb kind of beast, IMHO. Still, this sounds very close to how my Polytone Minibrute II sounds with this guitar. This pedal and amp combo is close enough that I actually can imagine not replacing my Polytone amp when it eventually goes the way of all flesh.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I've been experimenting with the best use of the Brute EQ "Polytone in a Pedal" built by our own forum friend jazzmus. Today I think I found it. Ran the pedal into the Quilter Tone Block 202 and set the TB "voice" to FRFR. I think the "flat" voice is best simply to amplify the output of the pedal. Mic'd the cab with a Shure SM57 and played an old favorite. I liked the results a lot! I plan to try the XLR Direct Out for another go at it, but frankly I love this cobbled-together cabinet a lot.

Your facility improves apace, Dr. Stone. Well done, Sir. Well done!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Your facility improves apace, Dr. Stone. Well done, Sir. Well done!
    You are most kind, sir.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

This clip uses the Brute EQ Pedal with just a crack of reverb from a Boss RV6 direct into the Behringer Xenyx Q1002 mixer. Solo is Raney, of course. I was curious how Polytone-like it would sound without the contribution of the speaker cabinet.

User Info Menu

So here's a side-by-side between the Princeton Reverb Re-issue without and with the Brute EQ Pedal. I turned up the mids a bit on the Brute EQ. The result is subtle, but basically it seems to me that with the pedal, the highs of PRRI are not as "spikey" and some of the PRRI "boxy" sound is not as strong. Of course, there are more mids. Both sound great, but actually I think the BruteEQ gives the PRRI another level of tone that is quite pleasing.

For these side-by-sides, I need to play the identical solo twice, and this is the Raney solo "Bout you and Me" based on "How About You."

User Info Menu

Lawson,

I too am enjoying jazzmus' pedal. It really gives you a Polytone in a pedal option.

Have you tried the PE 180 into it yet? Best yet for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Lawson,

I too am enjoying jazzmus' pedal. It really gives you a Polytone in a pedal option.

Have you tried the PE 180 into it yet? Best yet for me.
    Not yet but I will soon. I am playing currently through the Monoprice 15w tube amp (same as the Laney). I run the pedal into the effects return. I'll have to try it with the PE180 tonight.

User Info Menu

Lawson,

Any progress yet on the PE-180 and the pedal?

User Info Menu

Lawson,

Any progress yet on the PE-180 and the pedal?
    I brought the PE180 up to my office which is where I do most of my recording (home is too busy!) so I hope to get in some "after hours" when all the staff are gone to try it out. Right now I'm playing it through the Quilter TB202, using the Effect Return to bypass the Quilter pre-amp. What set up are you using?

User Info Menu

Right now, I am actually using the pedal into a MiniBrute II. You might think it's overkill, but it sounds great. The PE-180 into the Brute EQ pedal into the Polytone amp. Everything is set pretty flat and I'm using the brite switch on the pedal, as well as the hi-pass filter on the pedal as tone sweeteners.

GT

User Info Menu

Right now, I am actually using the pedal into a MiniBrute II. You might think it's overkill, but it sounds great. The PE-180 into the Brute EQ pedal into the Polytone amp. Everything is set pretty flat and I'm using the brite switch on the pedal, as well as the hi-pass filter on the pedal as tone sweeteners.

GT
    So far I'm keeping all those 3 special switches off and the EQ is at noon on every dial. Playing into the Effects Return was an idea I hadn't thought of until jazzmus suggested it. At home I ran the pedal into the effects return of my Monoprice 15W tube amp and really liked that. I need to try and record that sound.

I'll try to make a clip this evening using what I have here.

User Info Menu

Using the effects return...or using the Power Amp in on your musical instrument amp is a great way to use jazzmus' pedal. I tried it that way with my Spectra amp and really liked it. It suggests that I will have good results with my group's PA, too.

Good luck with the Monoprice.

User Info Menu

Using the effects return...or using the Power Amp in on your musical instrument amp is a great way to use jazzmus' pedal. I tried it that way with my Spectra amp and really liked it. It suggests that I will have good results with my group's PA, too.

Good luck with the Monoprice.
    Without an effects return, is it possible simply plug into the power amp side of things?

User Info Menu

Yup that’s how I use mine with a Quilter 101, straight into the power amp. Have also used it straight into my Walter Woods power amp. Works/sounds fine either way!

User Info Menu

Some, but not all amps have a preamp out and a power amp in jack. As mentioned above, Quilter and Walter Woods amps have these features. The Spectra amps from the 70s and 80s also have pre out and amp in.

It's nice to be able to use just the amp's preamp or its power amp, if you desire to do it.

User Info Menu

Some, but not all amps have a preamp out and a power amp in jack. As mentioned above, Quilter and Walter Woods amps have these features. The Spectra amps from the 70s and 80s also have pre out and amp in.

It's nice to be able to use just the amp's preamp or its power amp, if you desire to do it.
    Since the Polytone Minibrute II from the 90's has an effects loop presumably one could use the BruteEQ Pedal and plug into the return. That would be a really interesting way to compare the Brute EQ with the Polytone pre-amp. Both through the same power amp and speaker.

User Info Menu

Yep. I have one of the blue, Polytone MiniBrute III amps that I really like (from the 90s). It has the effects loop. [I have three MB III amps--they are, I think, the most flexible Polytone amps of all. I have one from the 70s, one from the 80s, and one from the 90s.]

Trouble is, my son uses the blue one semi-permanently (along with one of my Polytone MiniBrute PA systems) in a band that he's in. I don't think either amp ever comes out of his SUV.

Here's my son playing a Gibson '74 L6S Midnight Special through the MB III with me at a university fraternity gig.
    Polytone Pedal Thunkalicious-blue-polytone-left-jpg

User Info Menu

Yep. I have one of the blue, Polytone MiniBrute III amps that I really like (from the 90s). It has the effects loop. [I have three MB III amps--they are, I think, the most flexible Polytone amps of all. I have one from the 70s, one from the 80s, and one from the 90s.]

Trouble is, my son uses the blue one semi-permanently (along with one of my Polytone MiniBrute PA systems) in a band that he's in. I don't think either amp ever comes out of his SUV.

Here's my son playing a Gibson '74 L6S Midnight Special through the MB III with me at a university fraternity gig.
    Polytone Pedal Thunkalicious-blue-polytone-left-jpg
    I have 2 Minibrute II's from the pre-sonic-circuit 90's and they are solid, well functioning amps. I have a lot of other amps, but when I play through the Polytones, I do wonder why I bought those other amps.

User Info Menu

This was a fun set-up. I ran the Brute into the Quilter TB202 Effect Return so that I didn't get any coloring of the sound from the Quilter pre-amp, just the Brute EQ pedal. Then I mic'd the cabinet and ran that to the Left channel, and used the XLR DI line out for the right channel. Quilter claims this line works via some kind of interaction between the amp and the speaker. I can't hear much difference between the two, but can you?

So... I've also set my Polytone Minibrute II aside to got back into the closet for a while. With this pedal and the Quilter, I really feel like I've got the Polytone sound covered. Especially with this Aria.

User Info Menu

With stuff all set up, I did another with the PE180, This guitar is just so much fun to play. Hard to describe but once you start, it's hard to stop.

Tune is "How About You" and the setup is the same as the previous one.

I promise no more, at least for tonight.

User Info Menu

Very nice and enjoyable videos, Dr Lawson-Stone. Have you found a use for the EDGE function?

User Info Menu

Lawson,

The Aria sounds great through the rig, and I really enjoyed your playing.

Thanks.