The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 122

User Info Menu

Anyone got closeups or high res pictures of Julian‘s Nachotele? There are only few pictures to be found on the web...thanks un advance!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Julien sounds great but 6Gs is a lot of scratch for a tele!

User Info Menu

Correct me if I am wrong, but old guitars do not look like this. Guitarists used to look after their instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Correct me if I am wrong, but old guitars do not look like this. Guitarists used to look after their instruments.
    That's not my question, sorry.

User Info Menu

Obviously not. Each to his own.

User Info Menu

I totally get paying extra for someone's knowledge and time. But when a replica of a guitar that was originally intended to be a workingmans tool becomes over priced, count me out!

While I'm no luthier, I've assembled Tele Partscasters recently that play and sound superior to my old 1950's Teles. The parts are so much better and tolerances of machining as well. And I love the feel of an old early 1950's Fender Tele with a big neck!

User Info Menu

6k does seem to cross pretty far past the line of "you get what you pay for" and "you pay for what you get."

I think a tele, taking original price and accounting for inflation, would cost about $1800 in 2019 dollars.

So I can see 3k on a custom job, dressed to the 9's...but 6k is pushing it for me, especially since I've pieced together teles and I know how simple they really are.

But I suppose, if you have someone making their own necks and bodies, doing all the work themselves...you could approach a higher #. But there's cats out there carving archtops for less than 6k, and the amount of work that goes into that is not comparable to a plank and some bolts...

In the end, things are only worth what someone will pay for them.

User Info Menu

I would never pay 6K for a guitar. But I blush to say... I WOULD pay 4K for a PRS DGT, only because it's a bucket list item for me, and to get the finish I'd want it would cost 4K. So it's either 4K or nothing. The DGT isn't the same as other PRSi tho, however I feel like m most teles are pretty darned close... meaning, setup aside, a tele is a tele. I can build one from parts- a really good one. I can't build a DGT at all. So I guess at that point, 4K becomes "worth it", IF and ONLY IF I fell in love with the guitar.

If I were primarily a jazz or acoustic player, I could see dropping 4K on a #1. But acoustics and arch tops aren't as easy to make "great ones" as solid body bolt-on electrics... JMHO.

User Info Menu

Julien would probably sound great on a $200.00 guitar as well, he's one of those special players

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Sure they do.

Julian Lage‘s Nachocaster-jpg

I just want to have a closer look at Julians Nachotele. My intention was not starting a discussion about relics or Nachocasters...

And no, I don‘t think Tellys are easy to build if you‘ve got special or higher demands...
    Here‘s the guitar I‘d like to see in detail:

User Info Menu

Sounds just like a $600 tele to me... in Lage's hands. $600, $6000... in his hands, I'd bet very VERY little difference...

User Info Menu

As someone who sold his Loar L5 WAY back in the day for $6k, I understand inflation and all, but this insanity. Same price for a bolt-on Tele, even decades later? Me would never ever consider it.

User Info Menu

So to get back to the OP, I think this is the guitar in question. A little tricky to tell, as I think Lage has a vintage tele that looks very similar, but this appears to be the same blank headstock.

So it's a very nice, but pretty much standard tele look. I'm guessing the pickups are exactly what Lage wanted, probably every dimension of the neck, etc.

I mean...a classic banana pudding colored blackguard tele...is there any way to improve on that?

Julian Lage‘s Nachocaster-glg0tzjov3u11-jpg

User Info Menu

Man, can someone ask a question about a guitar they are interested in without everyone jumping in and piling on about why that's a terrible idea and overpriced? IF OP wants that guitar, and is able to afford it, then more power to him. Its like a sports car to me. I don't get it and can't afford it, but it someone loves them and buys one whats the problem.

User Info Menu

I think that Nachos Banos has a good reputation for putting together Tele replicas, but why the name Nachos Banos? The literal translation is not good.

User Info Menu

Here's a nice article about the builder, who crafts these guitars part time, so probably can set his own prices a bit easier.

If the particular model costs 6k, probably Julian Lage paid a lot less, if anything..

Rocking CEO - Questrom Magazine Questrom Magazine | Boston University

Personally, I like anyone building guitars, would love to try one out..

User Info Menu

Worth noting that Lage has gravitated towards solid body guitars due to RSI / ergonomic issues he was having. I don't think they are his preferred type of guitars if he didn't have those issues.

I've yet to hear a player sound better on a solid body than a sensible archtop. $6K buys a lot of archtop.

User Info Menu

...of course, I did spend nearly that much on my solid body Slaman Pauletta, but I knew at the time it wasn't an entirely rational decision based on my actual needs and the other guitars in my stable. I just had to have it! (and incidentally I don't regret it)

User Info Menu

This thread is in need of some levity, and since the OP was asking about "details," I thought I'd share this:

As a fan of boutique teles also, I came across one the other night on Reverb from a well-known (to some of us) archtop builder. The ad (from a "music store" in NY) simply stated, "Contact us for specs," so I did. Here's the reply:

"Yes this is by the builder X.
    The specs of the guitar is down below.
    Scale length is 25.5in, the same as most telles.
    The width of the neck is two inches.
    The Nut width is about an eigth of an inch.
    And the Pickups are X stock pick ups."

Strange, it looked like a normal tele to me ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    Worth noting that Lage has gravitated towards solid body guitars due to RSI / ergonomic issues he was having. I don't think they are his preferred type of guitars if he didn't have those issues.

I've yet to hear a player sound better on a solid body than a sensible archtop. $6K buys a lot of archtop.
    Well there's your problem...considering a guitar 'sensible!'

User Info Menu

Again as pointed out so well, it doesn't get more simple than basically a plank of ash and a maple neck with a couple pickups. Sure better sourced wood and parts. And then add actual labor, but $6k?
    I think most of this has to do with my age group reliving childhood fantasies.
    And again I'm sure it's a well built Tele, but it's not a carved archtop.

User Info Menu

For those that can't understand why anyone would pay $x for any given guitar....more than likely, there is no explanation that will make you understand. Same thing for those that don't understand relics, modelers, vintage instruments, Gibson guitars, PRS guitars, solid state amps, Bigsbys, Fusion, Swing, Strats, and on and on and on.
    Last edited by customxke; 10-05-2020 at 10:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny

I didn’t hear about this, what issue was he dealing with?