The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 122

User Info Menu

I encourage people to buy guitars to play, to make them happy, for bragging rights, to burn as firewood, to display, to pose with in front of their mirrors, to lick and to sniff. To forget about and hide under their beds. To beat eight to the bar and to hoard. To boast about on forums and to impress people. To get chicks. To donate to the worthy but poor. To be cool. To feel superior. To fetishize. Buy them for the right reasons. Buy them for the wrong reasons. I really don't care. Just buy them. Lots of them. Cheap ones, expensive ones. Especially the ones I have for sale.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 10-07-2020 at 11:57 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

And believe me, there seem to be enough fools with the extra money to do exactly that! Good luck in resale when you go to sell it 10 years from now, when the next trend in Music happens.

User Info Menu

Pay for most musicians is awful,unless you are really lucky! So that's why these toys are not aimed at real working players but people who have a lot of disposable income!
    It used to be golf clubs and fishing gear in my dad's era. And now it's the toys of the Boomers Generation Guitars, etc.

Again you are buying memories or kids fantasies, which I fall pray to as well. But are you really getting a superior performing instrument?
    I think from that perspective John Suhr, Tom Anderson, James Tyler,Don Grosh, have already answered that question. And while they aren't cheap, they definitely deal with improving the bolt on neck platform to its highest form!

And then there are bespoke bolt ons that while fine instruments that are way over priced and marketed like an a Ferrari with extra add ons. Like reclaimed maple or alder, titanium saddles, pickups that are supposedly dipped in fairy dust,LOL! But they buzz just like any single coil I've eve played.
    If paying northwards of $10k for such an instrument is pocket change for you,then by all means have fun!

Just don't let it fool you that you are getting the most superior instrument in the universe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    You clearly haven't seen Ed Bickert's Tele.
    Maybe, like Springsteen’s Tele, it was an affectation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff
    The neck is one of the most important parts for sure. I personally prefer lacquer-free necks at least on the back for best playability and incredible smoothness (for example thin nitro on the headstock and fretboard, oil/wax dye on the sanded back, finished with linseed oil). Or roasted maple, burnished up to 2000 grit and oiled (see pictures).
    I like all those fantastic necks from Warmoth, Allparts or Musikraft, but they need a lot of work. A perfect fret job on an allparts neck takes at least 5-6 hours, rolling the fretboard edges another 2 hours. Sanding the neck (tadeo taper?) also 2 hours. Finishing the neck adds at least another 5 hours, aging that guy another full day. All in all 20 hrs. of work, at least. The final result is a perfect neck. What's that worth?
    By contrast, I am a Philistine. I take the neck out of the box from Warmoth, install the tuners, check the nut (always cut way too high and seemingly for .008s), bolt it to the guitar, put strings on it and play. Fiddle around with the truss rod to get that set, call it good and basically ignore mucking with it for the next 10 years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    I don't see guitar as a 'tool'. A tool does not go as far as being extension of myself. A tool does not represent the critical and complex interface between what I feel and think and mechanical reproduction to sound waves. The variables and details are critically important and are a blend of art, craft, and science. Finally, a tool does not inspire me to play music. And music is pretty important.
    It is all in how you define things to yourself. The purpose of a tool is to extend the capabilities of human functioning (although, as it turns out, lots of animals are tool users and this is not unique to humans) and therefore the tool is an extension of us.

If you want to have a vivid discussion about tools, talk to enthusiastic woodworkers and woodcarvers. There is a whole community of people worshiping vintage Stanley planes, for example. For those folks, those tools are an extension of themselves just like a guitar is an extension of us. You might very well find auto mechanics who feel the same way about wrenches and screwdrivers. My other hobby is bicycling and a good bike is every bit as much an extension of myself as my guitars are. Just as my guitars inspire me to play, my bikes inspire me to ride.

But it is very easy for a tool to become a fetish object and a means, therefore, for positioning oneself in a microculture. I think this is what jads57 is objecting to.

User Info Menu

I'm all for great tools, just it still takes the person to use it. If you want a guitar that disapears and becomes part of you .The Parker Fly was probably the most perfect designed solid body guitar ever built. But it lacked the personality of other instruments.

And some times quirks are what make an instrument great! The Tele is the Model T Ford and is a great simple design with warts and all! It also makes the perfect platform to build and modify to a Hot Rod!

User Info Menu

Anyone know how much a Model T sells for these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    It is all in how you define things to yourself. The purpose of a tool is to extend the capabilities of human functioning (although, as it turns out, lots of animals are tool users and this is not unique to humans) and therefore the tool is an extension of us.

If you want to have a vivid discussion about tools, talk to enthusiastic woodworkers and woodcarvers. There is a whole community of people worshiping vintage Stanley planes, for example. For those folks, those tools are an extension of themselves just like a guitar is an extension of us. You might very well find auto mechanics who feel the same way about wrenches and screwdrivers. My other hobby is bicycling and a good bike is every bit as much an extension of myself as my guitars are. Just as my guitars inspire me to play, my bikes inspire me to ride.

But it is very easy for a tool to become a fetish object and a means, therefore, for positioning oneself in a microculture. I think this is what jads57 is objecting to.
    Some animals know which plants will treat their sickness. Scientists may find new drugs to benefit mankind by observing which plants they choose for what reasons.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Maybe, like Springsteen’s Tele, it was an affectation.
    If you mean actually worn out from thousands of playing hours, then yes definitely an "affectation" LOL.

User Info Menu

I just don't get why anyone has to have confirmation bias so badly that they continually try to convince others that their OPINIONS are wrong... because these are all OPINIONS, after all..... if I say a tele is worth 6K, then it's worth 6K, and someone else telling me it's not doesn't make either of us right or wrong.

And laughing at others - which is what this is- because you think you're right and they just don't realize they're wrong- isn't nice. Again, opinions abound- these are ALL opinions. Laughing at others because they have a differing opinion than you, that's just confirmation bias fueling ego so you feel right about your own opinions.

I wonder if jads57 has ever bought an engagement ring? LOL. Talk about alot of money for nothing... it's not EVEN a tool! And that doesn't matter. Especially if the person you're in love with wants one.

que: "I wouldn't marry anyone who wanted such a thing as a rock on a ring that serves no purpose and does no job"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9

I wonder if jads57 has ever bought an engagement ring? LOL. Talk about alot of money for nothing... it's not EVEN a tool! And that doesn't matter. Especially if the person you're in love with wants one.

que: "I wouldn't marry anyone who wanted such a thing as a rock on a ring that serves no purpose and does no job"
    I tried this argument on engagement rings for a bit. Spoiler alert...... it didn't work and "useless" rock was purchased.

Opinions are like as****es, everybody‘s got one.
    Funny thing is that there are only two or three thread related posts, but a lot off topic.

User Info Menu

Again fellas my opinions are based on playing guitar professionally for over 40 years. And owning way too many guitars and gear in that proccess.

If you want and feel it's worth it to you personally and have the extra dough. By all means do what you like!
    My point is these acquisitions, just because they are expensive do not equate to a better instrument !

I'll point out again my old 1980Dumble OD Special as an example. When I bought it it was $1400.
    And a Mesa Boogie was around $1,000. To me that was more than reasonable given its rarity at the time.
    But now that it's astronomical in price and there are replicas basically as good for under what I paid back then. What is the point as far as it actual use?

Play your guitars in good health, and no hard feelings!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    If you mean actually worn out from thousands of playing hours, then yes definitely an "affectation" LOL.
    I've read that Ed didn't use a case or gig bag. He'd just toss it into the trunk of his car.

User Info Menu

For an Esquire you can count ~ 2.5 lbs total for a regular maple neck & hardware.
    That's good to know. I dug around a bit and found similar information: 2.5 - 3 pounds.
    I have a scale around here somewhere. Time to weigh some guitars and compare the results to my unqualified perceptions of weight. My guess is that the bodies and necks ordered by Baños from Musikraft include weight among their specifications.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 10-08-2020 at 10:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I've read that Ed didn't use a case or gig bag. He'd just toss it into the trunk of his car.

Note the Certificate of Authenticity on the pickup cover along with the famous (infamous?) Allen wrench, LOL.

Is this still in the family? I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    My guess is that the bodies and necks ordered by Baños from Musikraft include weight among their specifications.
    Maybe.
    You can also order special Blackguard type necks from Musikraft with original measurements, radius and so on. I guess in collab with Nacho who‘s expensive tools are highly respected by guys like Billy Gibbons, Redd Volkaert or, yep, Julian Lage who likes to be cool or to be in the in crowd.

User Info Menu

Telecasters bring out the Devil in men...wommernz too!

User Info Menu

Maybe.
    You can also order special Blackguard type necks from Musikraft with original measurements, radius and so on. I guess in collab with Nacho who‘s expensive tools are highly respected by guys like Billy Gibbons, Redd Volkaert or, yep, Julian Lage who likes to be cool or to be in the in crowd.
    Those guys must not be gigging musicians.

User Info Menu

5 years ago I visited Nacho's shop in Valencia, Spain, a block away from my grandparents' house. Lots of beautiful guitars there, but no Nachocaster.
    But there I had the chance to meet Billy Gibbons, a friend of Nacho.
    For anyone interested, Nacho wrote a wonderful limited edition book about the first blackguards:
    The Blackguard book is an appreciation of the earliest Fender Telecaster style guitars produced between 1950 and 1954 by Fender Musical Instruments in Fullerton California.
    The book is written in English and comes in a large 12" x 12" coffee-table format in a beautiful color presentation, 420 pages, hardcover, individual hard slipcase, in a limited edition of 5,500 copies.
    All books are numbered in a "Tele serial number" fashion from 0001 to 5500 .
    It includes more than 2,000 images of early Fender Telecaster guitars. About 50 guitars are disassembled and pictured in detail, and about 20 more are pictured in beautiful settings.
    Included are non-truss Esquires from early 1950s, a large group of Broadcasters and Nocasters and a good selection of '51, '52, '53 and '54 Esquires and Telecasters.
    A must have for any Blackguard fan who, just like me don't have the bucks to own one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMitch
    5 years ago I visited Nacho's shop in Valencia, Spain, a block away from my grandparents' house. Lots of beautiful guitars there, but no Nachocaster.
    But there I had the chance to meet Billy Gibbons, a friend of Nacho.
    For anyone interested, Nacho wrote a wonderful limited edition book about the first blackguards:
    The Blackguard book is an appreciation of the earliest Fender Telecaster style guitars produced between 1950 and 1954 by Fender Musical Instruments in Fullerton California.
    The book is written in English and comes in a large 12" x 12" coffee-table format in a beautiful color presentation, 420 pages, hardcover, individual hard slipcase, in a limited edition of 5,500 copies.
    All books are numbered in a "Tele serial number" fashion from 0001 to 5500 .
    It includes more than 2,000 images of early Fender Telecaster guitars. About 50 guitars are disassembled and pictured in detail, and about 20 more are pictured in beautiful settings.
    Included are non-truss Esquires from early 1950s, a large group of Broadcasters and Nocasters and a good selection of '51, '52, '53 and '54 Esquires and Telecasters.
    A must have for any Blackguard fan who, just like me don't have the bucks to own one.

Nacho is a great friend. I actually had the privilege of editing The Blackguard Book for him. Oh, and all profits from The Blackguard Book went to Oxfam to build wells in Africa. Nacho is a remarkable guy. Admittedly, I'm biased, but I feel his Nachocasters are pretty remarkable, too. Julian and a number of other professional players do as well!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Correct me if I am wrong, but old guitars do not look like this. Guitarists used to look after their instruments.
    Julian Lage‘s Nachocaster-1c4f40a5-09f1-45f4-a988-935bb746b5dd-jpeg

Julian Lage‘s Nachocaster-bef1db9b-56e7-4d2d-af2d-6544bc36e7ad-jpeg

Julian Lage‘s Nachocaster-da1f97a3-1c46-4296-a482-6b80e615a32f-jpeg

Bickert’s battered Tele notwithstanding, I have a prejudice against “relic’d” guitars - I feel the scars should be earned with time and use, IMHO.

I took this picture of Tommy Tedesco’s Tele just a few weeks ago at the incredible Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix. The claim is made that this Tele may be the most recorded guitar in history.

Julian Lage‘s Nachocaster-66910963-5000-4299-96aa-64aacd21abc5-jpg

User Info Menu

It’s like people buying new jeans that are tattered and torn. It’s a look. But the message is 180 degrees from reality. This isn’t Trigger. This is a new guitar.

User Info Menu

Some people like blingy guitars, some like relics.

I'm not into relics but one thing I know is that a worn in Tele neck feels a certain way.