The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Would going from an early EEJP to a Epi 175 Premium be considered an upgrade? Maybe concerned about the supposed skinny neck on the 175.
    Cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Only if you feel it is. Play the 175 first, they're really good, but so were some of the JPs.

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Only if you feel it is. Play the 175 first, they're really good, but so were some of the JPs.
    Thanks. Yes, it's better to try one. I've been watching a 175 on Ebay UK which has just ended this minute. It was holding at £560 and then shot up to £702 in the last minute. I wouldn't pay that much without trying it - may be that was a mistake? - I've really no idea.
    My Joe Pass is nice but could probably do with a Gibson neck pup. I have a 70s T Top knocking about. Just hate the idea of pulling everything out!

User Info Menu

i'd say the builds are probably similar quality but the 175 premium has upgraded pickups...

biting the bullet and changing pass neck pup would be to your advantage

cheers

User Info Menu

Epi Joe Pass I think has a bit slimmer body, not as deep as 175, no?
    If so, deeper body can be a show-stopper for some.

User Info Menu

I played a few of the Epi 175's and while I'm not particularly neck sensitive, I just did not like playing them.

The JP OTOH if they are older Korean made, I'd pick one over their 175 in a heartbeat. Even the older pups are very usable. The newer samples I never warmed up to.

As usual play before you buy if possible, my (and other) personal opinions means nothing if you find you play one better than another. Sound can always be rather inexpensively tweaked.

User Info Menu

And the Epi Premium 175 has a nitro finish. Not so for the JP. That’s a pretty big thing considering that nearly everything out of Korea and also Japan has a poly finish. I’m talking about if you go back 6 decades! It’s all poly all of the time from those 2 countries.

I put up with the thin neck and it never seemed to bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    And the Epi Premium 175 has a nitro finish. Not so for the JP. That’s a pretty big thing considering that nearly everything out of Korea and also Japan has a poly finish. I’m talking about if you go back 6 decades! It’s all poly all of the time from those 2 countries.

I put up with the thin neck and it never seemed to bother me.
    Thanks