The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Last week I finally settled on a good Stratocaster! After weeks of shopping around and multiple trips to guitar stores, I came across this used 2017 Fender Custom Shop Journeyman Strat with the Poblano Texas pickups at N'Stuff Music in Pittsburgh. Over the last few years I've played a lot of Strats but really didn't find anything special. There was a PRS Silver Sky at one point that I really liked but didn't have the money for at the time. Since then I've played a few of those and didn't gel with any of them. This guitar was by far the best in the store, and it definitely helped that it was used and not the full $4,000. I've broken it in on a few gigs since buying it and I'm really digging it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice guitar and playing! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

What are Poblano pick-ups like? I've never heard of that set of pick-ups.

User Info Menu

Good luck with your new Strat.
    Nice video clip and nice sound of your new instrument..
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Thank you all! I'm pretty excited about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    What are Poblano pick-ups like? I've never heard of that set of pick-ups.
    The Poblano pickups are slightly overwound, pretty high output similar to what you might expect "Texas voiced" strat pickups to be like. I've found them to be really dynamic, in a similar way to the PRS 57/08 PAF-style pickups in my McCarty.

All-New Ancho Poblano Pickups Bring the Heat | Fender(R) Custom Shop

User Info Menu

how is it compared to PRS silver sky?

User Info Menu

I've played a few Silver Skys, but none of them were as great as that first one I mentioned in my OP. I kind of found a similar thing to be true when I was trying these Custom Shop strats - the one I ended up with was better than all the others I had tried, not to mentioned the used price really helped. N Stuff in Pittsburgh had five other CS Strats at the time in their storefront. I tried all five of them and the decision that the used one in the basement was the best helped convince me to buy it. I figured it'd be rare that I ever come across a used CS again in the near future, let alone a really good one.

The Silver Sky model is a nice design. The neck radius is pretty extreme but I wasn't bothered by it. The pickups are nice too. If I had come across a Silver Sky that day that was as good as the first one I played, I might've bought that instead. In general, the CS guitars I thought we consistently better than the Silver Skys that I had played (which is reflected in the price) but that's not to say you couldn't find a Silver Sky some day that outshines plenty of Fender CS strats.

If you can, try before you buy and just be patient in your search. That's always my advice. I had been looking for a good strat for a while and I'm glad I didn't buy the first one I saw.