The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    I've been down this road as well, tried attenuators, modelers, etc....

You can get good tones out of today's modelers for tv-volume playing. But when you've played a tube amp, and want THAT, it's very hard to get THAT from anything else.

I play with a PRRI, it has a 12" speaker. I play it on about 3-3.5. While that IS "low volume" for a tube amp, if I'm playing my wife can hear me, anywhere in the house. The only tube amp I have played that actually sounds great at tv volumes is the Harmony 8418, which is a little different in that it has an octal preamp tube.. it sounds very old-school/Charlie Christian/T-Bone Walker.

If a PRRI (or the 5-watt Swart mentioned above) is still too loud for you, I would say you need to look into a SS amp (like the Quilter... which I have heard nothing but raves about), or a modeler ... even possibly the new Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb... because it's a modeling amp, it can be played at very low volumes.
    +1 for the ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb. I play mine at 0.2 watts late at night and non-one in the house has any problems. During the day I play at 1 or 5 watts depending on how much clean headroom I want. For playing out, I can go up to a full 22 watts if needed......

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    ... and at low volumes you don't want to hear any transformer hum or power tube/valve hisses.
    Add fan noise to distractions you don't want at low volume. Some power amps have cooling fans and for some reason manufacturers don't spend a couple $ more for a quiet fan which my be OK live but at home or in the studio fans can be a problem (and replacing a fan with a quieter model could void your warranty).

From what I'm gathering, I'm probably better off with SS. Cant afford any increased issues with my tinnitus
    From this website, a lot of people love the DV Mark little jazz and Quilter 101 reverb(coupled with a Raezers Edge 10er.)
    Musicians friend has the DV Mark for 299 with their coupon applied. Guitar Center matched the price so I ordered it. I'll return it if im not happy. Had to try it at nearly 1/3 the price of the other option.

User Info Menu

On thing I have found for low volume clean listening is to use a fair amount of good quality reverb and turn the bass up.
    My Boogie MkV:25 sounds really good for low volume cleans with a Hardwire RV7 reverb set on plate of hall.

User Info Menu

This is probably a BAD idea and of course not a tube amp.

Supposed to impart a 3-D spatial perception and possibly worth a thought.

Best of luck to you:

BOSS - WAZA-AIR | Wireless Personal Guitar Amplification System

User Info Menu

What a strange add. The woman is playing an acoustic guitar through her headphone . . . .

Another thought: since a few weeks i use a Koch Jupiter. It's hybrid. It has a dimmer wich allows you to dail in your tone and play it at pretty much any level you feel comfortable with.

I really like the tone that comes out of the 12 inch speaker!