1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Got this for pretty cheap on Reverb (it hasn't arrived yet).
    There doesn't seem to be much info on them other than CR was Sam Ash's house brand (thanks Neatomic!). I'm guessing it's from the Samick factory; it looks similar to the Ibanez af-80, Samick HF650...
    Basically just hoping it's solid/tough and has potential for a good electric sound.
    Anyone here have one?
    Carlo Robelli-rxaxb2mmj1p42cuyziq5-jpg
    Carlo Robelli-osubpsws2jx8euowxkrb-jpg

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Nice headstock. Also looks similar to the Epi Joe Pass. Is it the same size?

  4. #3
    I remember them being made in Korea, I think in the same factory that Peerless came out of. Some of the better Ibanez guitars came out of there too. Either way, the ones I have seen and played have been really good guitars, especially for the money. A step above the majority of similarly priced guitars out of China, as good as they are.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Nice headstock. Also looks similar to the Epi Joe Pass. Is it the same size?
    I'm thinking it will be. I'm curious what the pickups are too, it should be here on Friday.
    I thinknthis design is based off the Aria PE-175 Herb Ellis. Iirc Samick ended up adopting some of (or sll?) Matsumoku's designs.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I remember them being made in Korea, I think in the same factory that Peerless came out of. Some of the better Ibanez guitars came out of there too. Either way, the ones I have seen and played have been really good guitars, especially for the money. A step above the majority of similarly priced guitars out of China, as good as they are.
    Definitely. All of the Korean guitars Ive had have been really solid, epi, samick, washburn, etc.

  7. #6
    Electronics and pickups are often where companies chose to cut corners to make a priceline more attractive. It's also very subjective. I think you should have the guitar set up with the strings, action, neck relief and PICKUP HEIGHT to your tastes as best as you can tell. Live with it 2 months with your amp. Give yourself time to get used to what the instrument feels like and what you can get out of it thought time on the instrument. Then, if you think you can hear or feel something that would make your guitar better, more clearly defined high end, or a warmer silkier low end, or a horn-like sound... you can do a little asking around and change out the pickups.
    On new stock instruments, such a personal thing as pickups are a guess by the manufacturers, they can't know what you're looking for. The high end Korean guitars have so much going for them in the body construction and price that it makes it easier to make that move to replace the pickups when you really know you want that. Plus, after a couple of months with the stock, you know the instrument, you can really appreciate an upgrade.
    If you DO go that route, have the input jack replaced at that time with a switchcraft. Those Asian jacks are also an area that I've seen failure over a not so long period of time. I've been doing this a long time, and I always install switchcraft 1/4" jacks for serious players. Pickups are often something that "makes the glove fit" perfectly.
    Just something to consider

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Guitar arrived last Friday, plugged it in a d it sounded pretty nice. As far as I can tell it's roughly the dimensions of an Epi jpe, sits pretty comfortably on a chair with no strap.
    I did some adjusting, took out the pickups and turns out they are Gibson 57 Classics! Neck feels like an Epiphone, no indication of where or when it was made.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by arielcee View Post
    Guitar arrived last Friday, plugged it in a d it sounded pretty nice. As far as I can tell it's roughly the dimensions of an Epi jpe, sits pretty comfortably on a chair with no strap.
    I did some adjusting, took out the pickups and turns out they are Gibson 57 Classics! Neck feels like an Epiphone, no indication of where or when it was made.
    Korea. About the time Gibson was making their Epis more competitive with Gibson pickups. Gibson had those guitars made at the Peerless factory I think. The big high end Korean factories made guitars for all the big names, Epi, Ibanez, and they're made side by side. It's just the headstock where the biggest differences are.
    You buying it used may indicate that the previous owner did the wisest mod and put really nice pickups in on their own. Either way, you've got a winner. Now put the time in and get your money's worth out of it by being a better player. You can go far with your new guitar. Good luck.