The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Does Eastman build a 335/330 - guitar and, if so, how are they? Who plays one?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    Does Eastman build a 335/330 - guitar and, if so, how are they? Who plays one?
    Electric Thinline - Eastman Guitars

User Info Menu

I tried one of the 335 copies. Pretty chunky neck, very bright tone, though I'm used to the Epi Dot/Sheraton types which are darker sounding to my ears plus they've thinner necks.

User Info Menu

The Eastman T64V is essentially an ES-330 with some added features: ebony fingerboard, SS frets, Lollar P90s, Bigsby. I have one. Tried a few. Quite variable. Some don't have it, whatever "it" is. This one does. I really hate SS frets, so might have to change that. And the neck radius is odd ... tighter radius high up the fretboard than down lower. A fret job could smooth that out a bit as well. Neck shape is medium C. Not fat, on the slim side if anything.

Those issues aside, it's one of the best sounding guitars I've heard. Really has some fine tones. It's light, very responsive. The Lollar P90s are perfect here. The ebony board is I think an inspired touch.

User Info Menu

I have a T64 as well. Mine has a trapeze tailpiece, but yea, light like just over 5 lbs it has a very comfortable acoustic tone, pretty loud too. Plugged in the Lollars are vintage sounding and between the two pups you can find Beatles tone all the way to dark jazz. I have tried the Eastman 335 style guitars, but these days I like the single coil cleanliness and they were heavy with the block inside.
    One negative about the T64 is that you have limited access to the upper frets because the cutaway is quite narrow. It doesn’t bother me, but YMMV
    Bill

User Info Menu

+1 on the T64V. Mine has a trapeze tailpiece as well. The neck is as described above, but I like the SS frets. This guitar gets a lot of play time.

User Info Menu

More T64 love here too. Sounded better than the two 330's that I tried. Used it for Beatles, but now strung with TI swings it can sound as dark as Gotham City in winter...
    It's hard to play a heavy guitar once you get used to the ultra light T64.