The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

I've been fascinated by this series from Milkman for a while. They're pricey but they have all the features I like. This is the combo version and for once, it features some quality jazz playing. I think it sounds really good.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Do you like the combo, or would you want the "mini-amp" version with your own cab?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Do you like the combo, or would you want the "mini-amp" version with your own cab?
    Mini amp & cab. I made a deal yesterday with the local cab builder for a tiny little 1x10 based on the open back Mesa Boogie using a Cannabis Rex.

User Info Menu

That is San Francisco guitarist Vic Wong in that demo, a fine player. Vic and I have played a few gigs together over the years.

User Info Menu

Tim Marcus, founder of Milkman Amplification, seems to obsess over quality & components, sourcing from the likes of Jupiter Condenser for his speakers & capacitors, to Mercury Magnetics for his amp transformers (both of which are incidentally USA companies), and USA companies (for concerns about quality) for the components of his class-D amplifiers as well. My personal favorite is the "Milkman Creamer":

User Info Menu

Tim Marcus is a great person to deal with to boot. I bought some black knurled metal knobs to dress up my Black Milkman The Amp 100 to make it all black. Tim Marcus was obliging and helpful. Those knobs are custom-made for Milkman Amps, not off-the-shelf parts.

User Info Menu

I just dug a little deeper into the faith well and pulled the trigger on The Amp 50. The whole rig should be up and running in about 10 days.

User Info Menu

I am interested in hearing your thoughts on this amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubs
    I am interested in hearing your thoughts on this amp.
    You won't have to wait long. It won't be with the final rig but I do have a cab here that I'm selling so unless it sells quickly I should be able to at least get an idea of what it sounds like. And we move into our new house on Friday so by Saturday I should have all of my guitars and cables available.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Tim Marcus is a great person to deal with to boot.
    +1. I pinged him with some questions and he was incredibly responsive. I put together a cab for my The Amp 50W and he recommended pairing it with a 12" Jupiter Ceramic. I did. Sounds great.

User Info Menu

We're finally in the new house and we just got the internet up and running a few minutes ago. The amp arrived on Wednesday but I had no opportunity to even unbox it until Friday evening. We're very busy getting the house set up but I'll hope to start working on some demos in the next day or two. The short version of the experience so far is that it sounds just wonderful. For the time being I'm running with a Mesa Boogie 1x12 mini rectro cab. Hopefully in the next week or so I'll have a custom 1x10 based on the newish Mesa 1x10 open back cab and we'll see how that sounds but the amp is clearly everything I was hoping for. It's a warmer version of the a Fender Blackface sound with beautiful tremolo and solid reverb. It's very quiet and just sounds rich at low volume. More later.

User Info Menu

Congrats, Jim - can't wait to hear your playing again!

[Just saw they now have a "100W" version, too?! Did you consider that?]

Marc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Congrats, Jim - can't wait to hear your playing again!

[Just saw they now have a "100W" version, too?! Did you consider that?]

Marc
    No. The100 watt version has boost instead of trem. I love trem and have no real use for boost, especially on an amp for with a master volume.

User Info Menu

Looking forward to more of your thoughts when you get things up and running, Jim. I've been eyeing this amp for a while.

If it had an effects loop it looks like it would be just about perfect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    No. The100 watt version has boost instead of trem. I love trem and have no real use for boost, especially on an amp for with a master volume.
    Was looking at this amp vs. a quilter, and I can't seem to abandon the tremolo and sound of The Amp from what I have been able to research. Are you still happy with this setup a year out? the direct line out to a mixer / PA is also appealing. Hope all is well, thanks! :-)

User Info Menu

Same here, the new Quilter cub has me very interested also.I want to try both set ups but I would need to have a cab for the milkman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redgibson
    Was looking at this amp vs. a quilter, and I can't seem to abandon the tremolo and sound of The Amp from what I have been able to research. Are you still happy with this setup a year out? the direct line out to a mixer / PA is also appealing. Hope all is well, thanks! :-)
    Actually 6 months but yes, I am still very happy with this setup.

User Info Menu

I've been having issues with my Princeton, and tired of paying to get repairs every couple years, I'm also hoping to gig again soon, and this thing looks like a great clean, light combo.... can't wait to play it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PS_Jazz
    I've been having issues with my Princeton, and tired of paying to get repairs every couple years, I'm also hoping to gig again soon, and this thing looks like a great clean, light combo.... can't wait to play it
    Is your Princeton a reissue or a hand wired vintage example?

User Info Menu

It's a '71 I believe that was 'blackfaced' and gigged heavily... brought it to a great tech only 1.5 years ago, and now it's developed a new problem

User Info Menu

I have heard great things about the Milkman amps. Let us know what you think and how it compares to the Princeton.

Old amps, like old cars will have problems, but they are serviceable. New amps do bring some peace of mind for those of us who play gigs.

User Info Menu

Buy a used Quilter Aviator 1x8” combo and you’ll never have any issues with amps again! And I mean Tone Wise as well!

User Info Menu

So far, I like it quite a bit, it has lots of nice clean headroom, and is super light, I'm still breaking in the speaker and tweaking, but I'd imagine it's a perfect gig amp. I'm used to silverface amps, so I'm kind of adjusting, but so far, it's a keeper