The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

For solo, small, and large ensembles.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

DV Mark Little Jazz is $299.99 shipped from Musician's Friend. I heard from someone who bought one recently that MF is shipping the latest ones with the revised quieter fan although its website shows the older version with the noisy fan.

The DVM LJ wins on jazz tone, price and portability. The PRRI costs 3X as much.

No harm in having the DV Mark LJ as a spare for $299.99.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 09-27-2020 at 05:54 AM.

User Info Menu

That’s two slightly odd things to choose between.

How about a ToneMaster Deluxe? Sounds great and is lighter, cheaper and louder than the Princeton.

User Info Menu

Does the LJ work with "large ensembles?"

User Info Menu

You have to be sure you can make either the Princeton or the little jazz work for you with large ensembles before buying. Both could easily be under-powered for a loud group. From there on, it's a matter of preference. Personally i feel i have to have both a small tube amp, and a portable giggable solid state like the dv mark around, i use either one or both together depending on the gig (but my portable ss amp of choice is the zt lunchbox cause its smaller and lighter).

User Info Menu

I've used the LJ with a 19pc big band, but it was a stretch even though the band was not amplified except for kb, guitar and bass.

OTOH, I used it with an octet in a very big room with 200 people and room for many more and friends in the back of the room said the guitar volume was fine. Also in a slightly smaller room, but still room for a couple hundred and I couldn't turn it up all the way. That band had the horn soloist amplified along with keys and bass.

And, on yet another hand, I've been playing in a sextet outdoors (jam session) and I found the LJ to be too limited for that situation, so I'm using two amps. That group has a loud drummer.

For trio gigs it has been more than enough.

I can get my sound out of the LJ. I don't know about the Princeton. I'd consider getting two LJ's -- take two if volume or spatial spread is an issue, take only one if that will do it -- 15 lbs.

User Info Menu

LJ has a balanced Line Out that allows you to run it into a mixing board for Front Of Hall sound augmentation. Both combos can be miked, if necessary. I won't run a Princeton Reverb wide open; you can't get a clean sound much above Volume 6 so it requires sound augmentation.

User Info Menu

Why not a BAM200 head and a nice light speaker cab? I’ve used that with a big band.

User Info Menu

I just saw some DV Micro 50 head clips and was very impressed with the sound even with round strings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

When playing with a larger/louder group having a dedicated monitor is always the better way to go - use your small amp (which ever model you prefer) as your personal monitor and feed the signal to the house. Propping the amp up on a chair, pointing towards your head/ears will usually suffice and your band-mates will love you - for keeping the volume level on stage as low as possible ....
    It's been my experience that an open-back cab is more problematic in tight situations since it spreads the sound around much more, possibly too much for the rest of the group. A more focused sound coming from a sealed cab is easier to handle. OTOH when I'm playing with my trio or quartet then it's the other way around : a small and closed cab tends to be too "beamy" and the group sound suffers. For those situations I prefer my Evans RE200 which has a semi-open back and it's also loud/solid enough to fill the room. In larger ensemble I take my BUD and either mike it or use the line-out signal (with a passive speaker-simulator hooked up) for the house .
    When rehearsing (usually without a PA system) a small DV amp should be ok, propped up and close by.

User Info Menu

Just a few days ago I sold my Princeton Reverb 65 (the reissue) and replace it with a DV Little Jazz. It’s a very different sounding amp, but the Princeton is a pretty heavy amp as all tube amps. I can’t argue about tone, it’s a great sounding amp, but if you’re looking for a jazz sound (think jim hall if you have a set humbucker archtop), portability and volume wise a pretty loud (for its size) and clean amp, you’ll be very happy with the Little Jazz.
    And yes, it’s just around 300€, your wallet will thank you for that.

User Info Menu

A Princeton and DV Little Jazz are so far removed, it's really hard to compare them.

I've got a DV Mark Little Jazz - it's a great little amp but you are limited by the 8" speaker. While it's loud enough for smaller gigs, it would struggle with a larger ensemble with horns etc.

The TM Deluxe Reverb was mentioned earlier - I happen to have one - it would be well suited to large ensembles, it has plenty of headroom. In terms of weight, the Little Jazz and the Fender are pretty close surprisingly.