The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 48 of 48

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Yeah I’ve played the Peavey Classic 20 on a gig through the matching cab (it’s the house amp at a local music venue.)

Sounds GREAT! A bit heavy and a bit lacking in headroom for jazzy jazz.

Jazzy jazz. As opposed to non-jazzy jazz. Love that! lol... reminds me of a thread here...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Jazzy jazz. As opposed to non-jazzy jazz. Love that! lol... reminds me of a thread here...
    Jazzy jazz wot goes noodlynoodlynoodly

User Info Menu

I've got the Quilter Microblock, a Hall of Fame and a Boss EQ. Fits in the guitar case if necessary. It's built for clean sound, though.

But yes, the Spirit of Vintage ticks a lot of boxes...

User Info Menu

The Spirit of Vintage has a lot of chimey treble end. But Chris, you will find it an excellent companion to your Metro 6.5BG, which doesn't.

User Info Menu

A Quilter Interblock 45 and a ZT speaker are the tiniest rig I can come up with with my gear.

User Info Menu

Try a TOOB metro! :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jjang1993
    Wow! That's even smaller and probably louder than my light rig (quilter micro block 45 going into a passive ZT lunchbox cabinet). I wonder if the Joyo head will work internationally.
    Hi there!

Yes, a TOOB Metro 6.5BG (Bass&Guitar, the one Christian has) weighs 2.1 kg / 4.6 lbs vs. 3.2 kg / 7.0 lbs of the Lunchbox extension cab, with power handling of 130W vs 100W. Tone is a matter of taste, and Lunchbox seems to divide opinions. If the speaker in their extension cab is the same as in the original combo (which I had years ago and ended using to amplify a budget-priced plectrum banjo with no tone ring), it's low sensitivity even for the size. My pretty safe bet is that the Metro is louder, which means that any micro amp's clean headroom goes a longer way. The Yoyo power supply unit handles 110-240V, 50-60Hz, so it's universal, like the Interblock. However, I again want to remind you of the TC Electronic BAM 200, which has a very tube-like tone and an internal, universal power unit, plus weighs half of the Yoyo.

The hybrid micro-amps with their single preamp tube sticking up require a relatively bulky enclosure vs. the pure Class D "bass" (in reality, universal) amps. Weight and size hyperconscious Brooklyn jazz guitarist Greg Ruggiero has built his own enclosures for the Orange Micro Dark and the Yoyo Bluejay. I don't know whether he removes the tube for transport, but it sticks out like a lighthouse in all photos I've seen.

User Info Menu

Also TOOB seems much better made than the ZT stuff which I have to say from experience is not well made. The thing just died.

Lunchbox speaker definitely less powerful; you can tell how inefficient it is because the Lunchbox sounds really loud through even a 1x10 cab. If they rolled out a head version I might be interested.

TOOB Metro is loud enough to play solos over a big band. I wouldn’t use for a rock gig, but it’s deceptively loud and everyone who’s seen it is kind of knocked out by how powerful it is for its size.

Looking forward to seeing what the little H&K sounds like through it.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Christian!

Actually, the Metro BG just found its limits . A recent Finnish bassist customer took it to the rehearsals of a heavy metal band and did not get quite enough clean volume on a C-tuned bass, i.e. two full steps below standard tuning. Well, you can't cheat all the laws of physics all the time. He's quite happy with the BG in his other band setting, which I understand is more more melodic pop on more reasonable volumes.

User Info Menu

Haha, oh well you can’t win ‘em all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Thanks, Christian!

Actually, the Metro BG just found its limits . A recent Finnish bassist customer took it to the rehearsals of a heavy metal band and did not get quite enough clean volume on a C-tuned bass, i.e. two full steps below standard tuning
    thats hilarious !
    I amazing that he didn't blow it up .....

you make good kit GltterBug
    I love my metro

User Info Menu

Wooo! I just ordered a Toob Metro 6.5BG, Markku did an amazing job helping me decide which of the three to get. I have a Quilter Microblock 45 that I usually run a Joyo American Sound. I'm thinking of getting a Joyo Bluejay head to have some more amp head options.

User Info Menu

Just to put the record straight, after some last-minute exchanges, we finally ended with a Metro 6.5GP+ (Guitar Ported), because Jesse prefers a tone universe brighter than traditional smoky jazz. The Eminence Alphalite 6A speaker offers all the bass a jazz guitarist needs, plus reaches 1.5kHz higher than the SICA 6 L 1,5SL speaker, standard on the Metro BG (Bass&Guitar). In practice, for a guitarist, there's a 95% overlap in performance. For traditionalists and thunk-seekers, BG is the recipe.

User Info Menu

Is there a comparison of a Metro BG to a henriksen Blu6 or the like? Would love to hear that...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Hey Christian,
    I'd recommend a Frenzel tube preamp!
    I was all ready to buy one of his ab763 amps. I emailed him and asked him what transformers he uses and what voltages his tubes "run" at and he emailed me back that it's proprietary information that he couldn't reveal. That didn't sit well with me for repair/maintenence purposes, particularly because his circuits are all copies of fender and marshall amps anyway so decided not to pull the trigger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blue_lu
    Is there a comparison of a Metro BG to a henriksen Blu6 or the like? Would love to hear that...
    So would I, with no fear. But this is difficult to organize, especially on neutral ground. Plus, it wouldn't be apples to apples except regarding tone. Features, price, which amp to use with the Metro etc.

There's just two European dealers that represent both Henriksens and Toobs, namely Liberty Music (Neustadt, Germany) and Lightweightguitaramps (Hungary). However, neither currently has the Blu on the shelf, due to the manufacturer's shipping stoppage. Ernst Weinbach and László Balogh will probably be happy to share their opinions on each. I think only László has held the Blu and a TOOB Metro BG simultaneously.

Any volunteer Blu - or Little Jazz - owners out there? Preferably Europeisch. It's 200 euros and change; shipped via UPS, so a return sticker is included. The money stays with PayPal and will be retuned if the BG doesn't stick.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 11-06-2020 at 01:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    take a look at the vox mv50 series...50 watts with nutube technology...they have different voiced versions...clean, ac (as in ac 30) & rock/gain versions

cheap enough

a friend has the clean..he loves it..plenty loud too

cheers

I have the AC version and it is awesome. They are fantastic headphone amps as well. I use mine all the time when the rest of my family is asleep and I don't want to disturb them.

User Info Menu

I didn't really like the Clean, but I could be tempted by the AC...

User Info Menu

They do a Boutique version too
    apparently it's good for the edge of breakup thing I need

MV50 Boutique - Vox Amps

anyone got one ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    They do a Boutique version too
    apparently it's good for the edge of breakup thing I need

MV50 Boutique - Vox Amps

anyone got one ?
    Two pros I know of: Christo Ball, Dresden, Germany and Petteri Arvola, now head of popular music at Rovaniemi Music College. Both TOOB artists, of course.

Cheers,

Markku

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blue_lu
    Sorry to return to this question belatedly. It just dawned on me that Robert Vennström, a Swedish solo artist living in Bergen, Norway (où la femme est) uses a 6" Henriksen and a Metro 6.5BG as an extension cab or stage monitor, depending on the situation. He calls the combination a "cannon" - the Swedish expression for something superb. I just asked him if he's got an opinion of the tones separately. Will follow up as soon as there's an answer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    There is also the very inexpensive (less than US$100) Monoprice 5 watt tube amp which has a speaker-out. The amp itself is not much bigger than a head, has an 8" speaker and I've had a lot of fun with it.
    SubZero (gear4music) and Harley Benton (Thomann) are "European" equivalents, in the sense that they are store brands for Chinese made tube amps, probably easier to order in the UK.

They have several models, both head and combos. Both have tweed champ inspired models.

User Info Menu

I am a little bit worried about bad earthing etc on the cheaper units.